NIUNIEK
Re: XoopsLifeType module in 2.3
  • 2008/11/20 13:55

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/20

Hi!
Quote:
And I'm NOT surprised if you say that you didn't read the readme.txt!

Sorry, but doesn't XOOPS 2.3.1 already have frameworks? So please do not paternalize people. We are here to help each other in situations like this if you're in this thread to criticise than please leave

Quote:
Check every file of the module for the includes. It will lead to other files and their includes and so on. This way you see what you need realy from the Frameworks.

Thanks for advise, will do.

Some things never change, but some things do.

ghia
  • 2008/11/20 15:11

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Sorry, but doesn't XOOPS 2.3.1 already have frameworks?
Yes, XOOPS has a Frameworks directory, but they have in no way the complete Frameworks. If you had followed the readme instructions and downloaded the Frameworks of the link, you could have seen it for yourself that important directories where missing.
Quote:
So please do not paternalize people.
On this forum many questions could be avoided, if one reads the provided brief instructions carefuly. So, it is important to remind on occasion to that. Sorry I made it personal by stating
Quote:
And I'm NOT surprised if you say that you didn't
Next time I hold it by:
Quote:
read the readme.txt!

Quote:
We are here to help each other in situations like this if you're in this thread to criticise than please leave
I will not leave the others without help, but you may restrain any help from me for yourself.

NIUNIEK
  • 2008/11/20 16:45

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

Hi!

Quote:
I will not leave the others without help, but you may restrain any help from me for yourself.

Please don't take the following to seriously, I'm just trying to make a point here...

Great! Good job. That's a community spirit. Is lifetype working for everyone else aside of sailjapan and me? or is someone elso already working on the fix on it? Because if so than WTF am I wasting my time on?

But now seriously. I have not been working on anything web related for around 3 years and even before that I was just learning php, so I don't think it is reasonable on your side to witheld information that might prove useful, don't you think?

Ghia, I didn't mean to offend you in any way by what I wrote in previous or this post and I know you did not mean to either, I think it's down to lack of sleep and my overall nervousness, so I will think of it as a misunderstanding on both sides or at least on mine and I will not take up on that anymore.

Quote:
Yes, XOOPS has a Frameworks directory, but they have in no way the complete Frameworks. If you had followed the readme instructions and downloaded the Frameworks of the link, you could have seen it for yourself that important directories where missing.

Yeah, of course I could have if only I had your knowledge on xoops. BUT I DO NOT!!! The last time I was using XOOPS (read above) it was when frameworks were introduced or started beeing widely used by some modules. I came back after a long break I dload new release and try to make something out of it.Bbasics did not change, but coding did, XOOPS has changed a lot as well, things were moved about, added, removed or incorporated into core. I did see that frameworks in 2.3.1 is somewhat empty, but try to put yourself in my position and take a look at its readme.txt:

XOOPS Frameworks  
For common frameworks shared by XOOPS modules.  
A framework could be adopted into XOOPS core once it is proven.  
The structure: {XOOPS_ROOT_PATH}/Frameworks/myframework/xoopsmyframework.php  
Content of myframework.php: 
<?php  
class XoopsMyframework 
{     
function 
__construct()    
{     
}     
... }  
?>

Very informative for a new user or a person who comes back like me, isn't it?

Than an all important part of frameworks/art changelog:
"1 Cleaned for XOOPS 2.3.0 (phppp)"
and xoops_version for art
" * @version $Id: xoops_version.php 1901 2008-07-26 04:05:57Z phppp $"
It is dated 4 months ago.
I assumed, by reading above that other stuff got incorporated (and some of it did in one way or another).
So don't you think that insisting on if I've read I would know is a bit pointless? I did read it and I have seen the requirements.

I think we should stop talking about what I could have or should have done and concentrate on what I/we could or should do. And please, I do need your help Ghia, so if or when you know something please contibute. I appreciate your input.

Now, getting down to what I came here for.

Lifetype is very temperamental and even though I know what it needs in frameworks. I does not install the proper way (returns a blank screen), but it does create tables and everything.

Folder needed from original frameworks is captcha
calls come from:
class/data/validator/captchavalidator.class.php and
class/view/viewarticleview.class.php
for
Frameworks/captcha/captcha.php
and
Frameworks/captcha/formcaptcha.php respectively

Surprisingly, you may find them in XOOPS class folder (captcha and xoopsform) as well. Their code differ however what renders them useless (at least I think it does).

There are 4 other calls to Frameworks in other files, but they call on art and textsanitizer which are included in the XOOPS native frameworks.

I've copied the captcha folder and after 15 minutes of fiddling had my lifetype working. As I've said it is a temperamental module and I had a problem with blogcreation (was getting a message about not being attached to any blogs or something)

Problems still occuring:
-blank page after install
-when clicking on the lifetype likn in main menu user is redirected to the first blog meaning in my case admins blog
-userlist in lifetype is blank (didn't check prefs yet, it may be so intentionally)

Other issues:
-No way to go back to your site other than clicking on register. link needs to be added in the main template.
-once in someones blog there is no way to go back to summary page

I think that's it from me for now.
Take care.

sailjapan

Jeepers! I go away for a few hours and whole sagas have unfolded and then shriveled away in my absence

As for the frameworks thing, I understand the logic, but it's the practice that gets me. Until I made a random decision to upload all the stuff from my old (2.0.13.2)site's religiously updated frameworks folder to my new 2.3.1 install, all I had in there was what came with the core download. Of course, functionality was barely passable until I did that. Just think it'd be nice if a way was found to automatically update the whole frameworks folder with whatever additions any given mod needs to make. I don't suppose there's a central 'clearing house' for the frameworks folder, is there?

@NIUNIEK, man! You've been busy! Wish I had the time to spend on it like you do. Still, as you're obviously on a roll, I'll stand here jumping up and down waving my XOOPS pom-poms (the mind boggles)

Go NIUNIEK! Go!

Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

ghia
  • 2008/11/20 17:56

• ghia

Quote:
Than an all important part of frameworks/art changelog:
"1 Cleaned for XOOPS 2.3.0 (phppp)"
and xoops_version for art
" * @version $Id: xoops_version.php 1901 2008-07-26 04:05:57Z phppp $"
It is dated 4 months ago.
I assumed, by reading above that other stuff got incorporated (and some of it did in one way or another).
So don't you think that insisting on if I've read I would know is a bit pointless? I did read it and I have seen the requirements.
I see you have read a lot after my advice.
And yes, sometimes the information is insufficient.

XOOPS 2.3.x unites 2.0.x and 2.2.x, but has major issues with compatibility. It is a good thing that some Frameworks are incorporated to the core, but this doesn't allow to delete all the stuff. It should always leave compatibility files (like for eg. Captcha) that then call the core files, as is done for the textsanitizer.

Also the XOOPS 2.3.x install instructions should mention the fact that if modules require Frameworks, they should be installed additionally without overwriting the existing directories. But this will lead also to problems. So, XOOPS 2.3.x should come with a full featured Frameworks.

Some of your problems may not be related to XOOPS 2.3.x and as for the links problems, I think they can be solved by editing some templates.

Mamba
  • 2008/11/20 22:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Also the XOOPS 2.3.x install instructions should mention the fact that if modules require Frameworks, they should be installed additionally without overwriting the existing directories. But this will lead also to problems. So, XOOPS 2.3.x should come with a full featured Frameworks.

I'll make phppp aware of this. If you have any other suggestions related to Frameworks, please let us know.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

NIUNIEK
  • 2008/11/21 23:42

• NIUNIEK

• Just popping in

Hi!

Sailjapan, could you let me know if aside of the blank screens everything else is working in your lifetype with captcha folder in frameworks?

I've been trying to look through some files to see if I can find why blank screen on (un)install is shown, but I gave up.
It seems to me that with my lack of knowledge it is not possible...and for now the module seems to install properly and looks as if it is stable.

As I was saying I'm about to work on a website and need to play with themes in lifetype as the lack of links is appalling.
I don't know if it's just me or the only way of going to blog's front page is through dashbord and clicking on any of the posts?

Anyway, as I have said I need to start learning and timeframe is not promising. I need to start testing the site by the end of January

One more thing. Just have been looking through index.php of lifetype and it says
// just to make php use &amp; as the separator when adding the PHPSESSID     
// variable to our requests 
ini_set("arg_seperator.output""&amp;");   
ini_set("magic_quotes_runtime");

should it not be "arg_separator.output"

I don't think it really matters, but it looks like a typo

For now, take care, and I will let you know if I figure something useful

ghia
  • 2008/11/22 0:13

• ghia

Quote:
should it not be "arg_separator.output"

I don't think it really matters, but it looks like a typo
It is a typo. It may influence how query strings in the URL are formed: with & or with & a m p ; .

billm75
  • 2009/2/11 23:49

• billm75

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/2/8 1

tried this module, can't install this module properly keep getting a blank screen, and I'm not smart enough to fix it....so I've removed it to the best of my abilities

anyone know of a similar, and easier to install, multi user blog module that will work? I don't want all the bells and whistles, but I would like for my users to have the option of having their own blog on my site.

barryc
  • 2009/8/7 17:39

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have had different problems trying to install LifeType. When I do the install I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Class 'XoopsCache' not found in /home1/myserver/public_html/aka/modules/system/class/gui/default/default.php on line 57

The module shows up in admin as having been installed but if I try to access it I get:
Fatal error: Call to a member function getInfo() on a non-object in /home1/myserver/public_html/aka/modules/system/admin/modulesadmin/main.php on line 207

When I uninstall it I get:
Fatal error: Class 'XoopsFile' not found in /home1/myserver/public_html/aka/class/cache/file.php on line 120

You find out all sorts of interesting, and sometimes frustrating, things when you go searching for answers on Xoops. For example, I had assumed that the Frameworks folder installed with XOOPS was a complete package, but apparently not so. The one on my site lacks a lot of the folders and files in the Frameworks 1.22 folder (which I downloaded and installed on my test site as required by LifeType. I wish I knew how to become aware of all these things in a more organized manner (rather than stumbling on them when looking for something on xoops.org).

Anyway, that aside, can anyone suggest what might be the problem for my install process. I'm using XOOPS 2.3.3, PHP 5.2.9, mySQL 5.0.81-community-
log. I'm testing on a test server, not my live site.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

barryC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits