Tyson0317
All users can delete any post in my forum - bad!!
  • 2008/10/2 23:54

• Tyson0317

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/21

Hi All,

We run XOOPS 2.0.16 with the "Version 1" form module that came bundled with Xoops. I have a few forums configured as "Private" forums and have my users pretty well sorted between where they should and should not be able to go.

After 2 years of use a problem has surfaced that we never notticed before. All of the sudden posts are disapearing and the only explaination is that someone is deleting them. For some reason all posts in my forum have a "Delete" option avalible for all logged on users. I need this option to not be there - is possible even for the people that made the post.

I looked all through the options under the administrative controls and could not find a way to turn off "delete" button for non-moderators. Please advise!

T

DarinAllan
Re: All users can delete any post in my forum - bad!!

It may be time to upgrade your site now while (we are up to 2.3.0), there are questions being asked regularly about any upgrade problems. Also upgrade your forum is it NewBB forum?, if so you may be able to upgrade to CBB or another forum, Instant Zero have Newbbex I think it is. You will have to check what can be upgraded to what though, don't just blindly go in to it. Make sure you back everything up!

I know this isn't the solution, though it's important to stay current, also do you have "protector" installed?

Maybe someone else may have an idea about the actual problem.

Cheers ;o)

Tyson0317
  • 2008/10/3 16:09

• Tyson0317

• Just popping in

Guys, I am looking for a somution to this simple problem. I cannot be the only person that has had it or asked about it. I think the issue must be that I just dont know where the permission control is located.

Frankly, I am not interested in upgrading - if it aint broke, dont fix it! We use the site for a very narrow, yet mission-critical purpose and aside from the fact that posts are deleteable by all users, there are no other issues with the site. Doing an upgrade now sounds like a whole new can of worms...

Can someone please post some ideas on how I could take away everyone's delete right to all posts on our forum?

As per forum software, as I said, it is whatever came with our version of Xoops. It is called just "Forum".

DarinAllan

Quote:

Tyson0317 wrote:
I am looking for a somution to this simple problem.

Fair enough, you should have a simple answer, for your simple problem any second now, because it's simple, so everyone should know the answer I guess ;o)

Good luck!

Cheers

Tyson0317
  • 2008/10/3 23:34

• Tyson0317

• Just popping in

For purposes of others that may be searching in the future, I am posting the simple soltion.

I had my posters divided into groups and it seems that by default these groups were given admin rights over the "form" module and this is why they were getting the delete button on all posts.

To resolve this, go into the admin module, click on System Admin, Click Edit Groups, select your group and remove module administrative rights from them...

I for one did not know that this control existed (it seems a bit backwards to me that permissions are controlled in so many places) and thus would appreciate some contructive ideas rather than smart-ass replys on this forum...

ghia
  • 2008/10/6 12:40

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Glad you find out how to fix.Quote:
Frankly, I am not interested in upgrading - if it aint broke, dont fix it! We use the site for a very narrow, yet mission-critical purpose and aside from the fact that posts are deleteable by all users, there are no other issues with the site.
That's good practice, but you should be aware of possible security holes and check regulary the version history and update notices or posts on that subject.
In the short term, old modules may funtion well, for the normal use, but may fail miserably in the case of abuse.

krauh
  • 2008/10/10 4:24

• krauh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/25

I had that problem last year with cbb/newbb.If I put people into more than 2 groups they received admin rights to the whole site for some reason or at least it lighted up their names at the bottom of the forum as if they were admins.Luckily none of them noticed before I did.Why does it happen no idea.Don't put people in more than 2 groups tho.I didn't ask anyone if they could access the backend to see if they really had admin rights tho.

Mamba
  • 2008/10/13 4:41

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Thank you very much for posting the solution here! I wish, all users would be similar to you and post solutions to their problems as well, once found.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits