Dona_Brasil
Re: Xigg - removing "powered by Xigg" ?

I agree to much of what Tom says here:

Quote:
Ignore them, there are tons of reasons to remove the front copyrights, here's a few:

Assists in preventing hackers from finding you via google or other search engines, as they search for such terms, XOOPS get's hackers too, don't they Damaster.

Doesn't look professional having credits pasted all over a professional website.

Doesn't look good to your client or your clients customers.

Allows your competition to compete with you easier (IE they know what your doing and how your doing it, without having to do any work themselves).

You can be ranked down in some search engines (see the whole WordPress sponsored footers thing recently).

Links could lead to offensive material when the domain name is not renewed by the developer.

Sites and software like McAfee, have a rating system, and if it leads to a red site, it could also put a mark against yours, leading to a loss of users and possibly customers.

There are a number of other modules that have such a link and some modules contain remarks that these links should not be removed. It is interesting to know that some of these modules are collective works containing files that are released under the GNU licence, that your website is probably a collective work (at least the underlaying technique), that you can add a new template to your site without changing the original work (module), and that some Creative Commons licences state "at in the case of a Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit" which IMHO means that you can credit the author in an other place as long as it is prominent enough.

My ethical opinion: if you use a module, the maker deserves some credit but within reasonable terms. Do not sell it commercially if you are not the copyright owner (although you may sell support).

In the case of Xigg, I did not find any licence information except for "free for personal use". This worries me. Perhaps the maker has focussed on the programming and the usability (as it is a great module by a well-respected developer), perhaps I did not find the licence, but without a proper licence it is not wise to use a module as it will be subject to full copyright by default! There are to many open questions, for example:

- if it does not run on a next XOOPS version, and the maker focusses on XOOPS Cube (another CMS; he released the module on xoopscube.org), will you be allowed to adapt it? (if you or other people are not allowed to adapt it, how will you tell your users that their bookmarks will be lost?)
- what is personal use? Is it on a local host? And when does a site become commercial?

________
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: the information presented above is my personal opinion, not an advice. To the extent permissible by law, I disclaim all warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The information presented above is provided 'as it is' and I accept no liability for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by any person as a result of the information provided in this posting. Always verify critical information with the relevant authorities before you use it.

Peekay
  • 2008/4/13 11:50

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

SmartFactory are the worst offenders for credits IMHO.

Their modules used to have a discrete logo-link in admin, but later versions carry adverts that encourage administrators to contact InBox Solutions (their commercial web design division) if they have a problem using the module.

SmartFactory modules are excellent, but I want my clients to contact *me* if they have a problem using the module, not go to another website design company.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
SmartFactory are the worst offenders for credits IMHO.

Their modules used to have a discrete logo-link in admin, but later versions carry adverts that encourage administrators to contact InBox Solutions (their commercial web design division) if they have a problem using the module.

SmartFactory modules are excellent, but I want my clients to contact *me* if they have a problem using the module, not go to another website design company.

Hasn't SmartSection been released under the GNU Library General Public License?

Peekay
  • 2008/4/13 15:11

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

The licence is fine, but the ads caused a couple of my clients to think that InBox were providing support in some way.

seth_sd
  • 2008/4/13 20:20

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

I guess it's always a bit of a trade off. Inbox(Smartfactory) seems to have decent marketing which in turn allows them to continue to stand behind their modules and release them on a regular basis...Such as the latest version of SmartSection 2.14 that was just released or XIGG for that matter. I don't know the ins and outs of the license but it seems a small price to pay for some of the better modules out there?
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/13 21:14

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
seth_sd wrote:

.....it seems a small price to pay for some of the better modules out there?

I think that sums up my position nicely.

I don't sell my services, just use XOOPS to provide a service to a social group.

Mikhail
smartfactory modules are ADWARES
  • 2008/4/13 21:16

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
I guess it's always a bit of a trade off. Inbox(Smartfactory) seems to have decent marketing which in turn allows them to continue to stand behind their modules and release them on a regular basis...Such as the latest version of SmartSection 2.14 that was just released or XIGG for that matter. I don't know the ins and outs of the license but it seems a small price to pay for some of the better modules out there?

so all smartfactory modules are ADWARES (not opensource):

* Advertising that is integrated into software. Adware is often combined with a host application that is provided at no charge as long as the user ...
www.microsoft.com/security/glossary.mspx

* What is spyware or adware and how can I remove it?
kb.iu.edu/data/glos.html

* A type of Advertising Display Software that delivers advertising content potentially in a manner or context that may be unexpected and unwanted by users. Many adware applications also perform tracking functions, and therefore may also be categorized as Tracking Technologies. ...
www.f-secure.com/security_center/malware_code_glossary.html

* A form of Malware normally consisting of 'pop-up' and other advertisements. ^ Back to Top ^
www.albany.edu/its/glossary.htm

* Free software that is loaded onto a users computer, with the users permission, to perform some useful task (like automatically filling in their web forms), in exchange for the ability to track the users web activity and show the user targeted contextual ads. ...
www.elearners.com/resources/advertising-glossary.asp

* Adware is a computer program that can be installed on personal computers (usually without the permission from the owner). Adware collects information and sends it back to a third party. These programs often record information such as which web sites you have visited or what you have downloaded. ...
www.netalert.net.au/redirect.asp

* Adware is a software program that is, more often than not, packaged along with free software. Entrenched under the veil of this free software like search programming, games, desktop utilities like screensavers or timepiece, these appliances are used to track your internet habits and log the user ...
www.pcsecuritynews.com/spyware_definitions_terminology.html

* Installed by stealth on computers, Adware is software that causes disruptive and unwanted advertising to appear in various programs.
viruscenter.freedom.net/html/glossary.html

* Like spyware, this is software that installs itself on another computer without the owner’s knowledge, and in certain situations places advertisements on the screen.
www.genderit.org/en/index.shtml

* Adware is form of client-side ad serving software that delivers advertising to consumers. Unlike server-side ad-serving technology, which delivers ads to a Web site visited by the consumer, adware is a unique technology where the delivery of the ad is actually part of the software and ...
www.whenu.com/pc_definitions.html

* Software, usually installed at the same time as part of a shareware application, which displays advertising banners or popup windows to the user. Adware is often criticised as it may pass on the user’s personal information to a third party without their knowledge via their internet connection. ...
www.signals.co.uk/glossary/Searchgloss.aspx

* any computer software or program that is automatically loaded and present pop-up windows that may contain banner ads.
www.discovercomputers.info/Screensavers/glossary.html

* dware is a type of advertising that pops up on your computer screen while another program is running. Many believe that adware is unsafe because it can include certain codes and capabilities that allow personal information to be tracked and documented without any knowledge of this occurrence.
www.broadbandinfo.com/internet-access/glossary/default.html

* Any software that serves banner ads or pop-up ads to you while in use. Further Information
www.ukorbit.com/computer-glossary.htm

* A generic term referring to a class of software that causes a victim's web browser to display annoying pop-up advertisements and advertising banners. Sometimes adware may be installed in conjunction with a companion spyware program. ...
www.h-spot.net/threat_glossary.htm

* An application stored (usually surreptitiously)
www2.iastate.edu/~asomani/MIS/Glossary%20of%20Key%20Terms.htm

* Programs known to cause advertisement pop-ups. Similar to spyware.
tech-terms.com/index.php

* A software application in which advertising banners are displayed while the program is running; sometimes, also tracks user information, which makes it also spyware. AdWare can cause problems with applications, web browsing, networking and cause Windows updates and service packs to fail.
www.thenetguy.org/malware_glossary.htm

* Adware or advertising-supported software is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertising material to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware

* A form of spyware that collects information about a user in order to display advertisements in the Web browser based on the information it collects from the user's browsing patterns.
www.awbank.net/security_glossary1.asp

Peekay
  • 2008/4/13 21:27

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
Inbox(Smartfactory) seems to have decent marketing...

I think even their marketing people would agree, that if you build XOOPS sites for a living, putting an advert on every site for another design business is not good marketing.

Peekay
Re: smartfactory modules are ADWARES
  • 2008/4/13 21:48

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

Mikhail Miguel wrote:

No, there's no suggestion of that. SmartFactory modules are GPL. They are generally very good and well supported. It's just the ads I object to. You can remove them if you are prepared to hack the code a little. I would just rather not see them there in the first place.

Mamba
Re: smartfactory modules are ADWARES
  • 2008/4/13 21:57

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

You're raising an interesting point.

While they are definitely not a "malware" as we know from many Websites, their aggressive "in your face" marketing is definitely not in the spirit of "Open Source". They deserve credit for what they developed, and nobody would question that, but a link to their Open Source Website would be sufficient, without the "in your face" advertisement for their commercial division.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits