gestroud
Moving WF-Sections To New & Newbbex to Newbb
  • 2005/7/7 20:38

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a solution after searching for a few hours.

I have WF-Sections and Newbbex installed on a site. I would like to transfer their articles and posts to the News module and the Newbb modules, neither of which are installed on the site yet.

Is making the transfer merely

1. deactivating WF-Sections and Newbbex

2. Installing the new modules

3. Locating and identifying tables, deleting the ones that correspond in News & Newbb and renaming the existing tables in WF-Sections and Newbbex and then deleting the remaining tables and uninstalling the modules?

Or am I missing a whole bunch of steps and getting ready for disaster?

gestroud
Re: Moving WF-Sections To New & Newbbex to Newbb
  • 2005/7/11 2:32

• gestroud

• Home away from home

bump

jdseymour

No, it is not possible that way, as each of these modules will have different database structures. More often then not these types of data migrations require a script to import the data.

For Wf-sections, only if you do not have a lot of content, it may be easier to copy and past from module to module.

For newbb which version are you wanting to move to. Newbbex is based on newbb 1, but I am sure some table modifications have been made for that module. If migrating to Newbb 2/ CBB I am not sure that the upgrade script will work with that version.

I think the questions about newbb could be answered by hervet (the author of nebbEX?) And phppp the author of newbb 2 now CBB.

Maybe Hervet could give you some insight in the possibility of moving to the news module as well. It also depends on what version of wf-section you are using, because the different versions of that module have different table structures as well.

HTH.

solo71
  • 2005/7/11 7:51

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

In any case, I warmly recommend you to use Moved 1.2 as soon as you have finished your module switch. Just to keep your previous backlinks actives and prevent any visitors loose...

gestroud
  • 2005/7/12 16:11

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Thank you both for your input. This looks like this move will be a lot more complex than I anticipated.

Wish I could cut & paste, but there are hundreds of articles and posts involved.

Right now, I'm using wf-section version 1.01 & newbbex version 1.2.

The Moved module appears to be a very handy module. I'll see if it helps after/if I get the move done.

Thanks again!

hnic_spanks

So did it work? I'm planning on moving from newbbex to newbb too, so how did you eventually do it?

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits