emitojleyes
"Could not instantiate mail function" issue in my Intranet

Hi everyone!
I'd like you to help me at this, please!!
I have installed XOOPS and is working as my organization's intranet.
I'm trying to implement Liaise module for comments and forms filling and I want forms be sent to an external mail.
Although Internet access in my organization is restricted, i have enabled it in my XOOPS server.

This message appears me when trying to send a form.
My XOOPS version is 2.0.16.
I have tried with all the combinations of sending mails: SMTP, SMTPAuth, PHPmail and sendmail.
But none of them works...
Any help please, will be very appreciated!!!
thanks in advance!!
Emilio J. Leyes
Salta, Argentina
Emilio Javier Leyes
Salta, Argentina

wingrider101
Re: "Could not instantiate mail function" issue in my Intranet

Here's a thread that might help:

Could not instantiate...

This error is just a fancy way of saying that the PHP code called the SMTP, SMTP/Auth, or MAIL function (sendmail etc. configured in your PHP.INI), and it could not find an "instance" of one or more of the values passed to the call. That is, one of the settings in your mail sending method SMTP, SMTP/Auth or MAIL is either wrong, or missing.

This one is usually operator head space gap, but can be a screw up on the Web Hosting server (something changed and you don't know it!).

I'd start by looking at your mail config and verifying that all of the parms are correct. Then, check with your Host server company, or your server settings if you run your own, and make sure that the server matches.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have some PHP or PHP.INI setting issues that are screwed up.

Hope this helps!

BAM
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Byron McKay
wingrider101 at gmail dot com
http://byron.homelinux.com
http://www.xoopstyro.com
-------------------------------------
Xoops CMS Intranet sites for Business

emitojleyes

Hi there!
thanks for your reply!
as i said, i tried every avaiable sending method, by trying to send a mail to a google account;
i even tried using smtp.gmail.com and my username and password.

I previously have developed a web page for an organization, used laisie, used php mail and worked fine with external mail accounts (yahoo, hotmail, etc.)

But when deployed XOOPS as my intranet, enabled XOOPS server machine for internet access and set the same configuration, the message mentioned appeared.
Could it be some security restriction on my router, or something like that?
any other tip where to start the search?
Thanks very muuch!!!

Emilio Leyes
Salta, Argentina
Emilio Javier Leyes
Salta, Argentina

ghostrider
  • 2007/12/18 12:33

• ghostrider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/16

May be you can't use the SMTP port 25 ?

talunceford

Sounds to me like the smtp mail server isn't running. The Only reason that I say that is because if it was running and if you didn't have access to send mail to the outside world via smtp relay, you would be getting a pileup of mail in your mail server. Are you getting mail piled up in your mail server? One other thing, do you have a local mail server that relays mail to your internet providers mail server, and also, do you have access to relay messages via port 25. If you can email through your internet providers mail server, then I would make sure that your mail server sends the proper authentication when it relays messages. I had to alter some changes on my mail sever at my house to get it to work right. It is possible to do.
Tim
www.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2142online.org

wingrider101

Quote:

emitojleyes wrote:

as i said, i tried every avaiable sending method, by trying to send a mail to a google account;
i even tried using smtp.gmail.com and my username and password.

Emilio,

First things first... Let's work on your SMTP server...

Is your SMTP server hosted on your own server hardware/software, or on a web service provider's server?

If it's your own server, what software are you using?

If it's your own server, did it ever work before (I assume so from your previous posting)?

If it worked before, have you recently upgrade or changed anything? If so, confirm that you didn't screw something up when you did the upgrade/change.

Second, on the server, whether yours, or a web hosting provider's, is the default port number for SMTP, 25, configured as being the one in use, or is some other port number in use for SMTP? If it's anything other than 25, you'll have to have it match on your SMTP server, your Firewall, and you XOOPS mail install (just add :(the actual port number) on the end of your SMTP server address if using SMTP or SMTP/Auth. For example if port 443 was configured, you would put "YourServerDNSorIPAddress:443" as the entry.

Also check whether you are using SSL or some other encryption protocol on your SMTP authentication login. This is becoming more common with ISPs.

Third, check your firewall (or router firewall) and verify that the port in use is "open" or not blocked.

If some port other than 25 was set on your SMTP server, check for that port being open correctly on your firewall or router firewall (this is a very common problem).

If none of that helped...

Last, try Google again, but know that Google SMTP uses "funny" port numbers, not port 25, and I believe they use SSL encryption as well. Confirm that with Google SMTP online help (it's in the web mail main menu at the top under HELP) and try it again with the right info.

Quote:

I previously have developed a web page for an organization, used laisie, used php mail and worked fine with external mail accounts (yahoo, hotmail, etc.)

I have previously had Liaise fail when my ISP (PowWeb) made changes to their SpamAssassin configuration, causing my mail "forwards" to cease functioning. Deleting the e-mail forwards and re-adding them solved that one for me. Liaise does it's own thing in it's configuration, but uses the XOOPS mail routines to send, so it SHOULD work if you can send via the "Send to Users" in Admin.

Quote:

But when deployed XOOPS as my intranet, enabled XOOPS server machine for internet access and set the same configuration, the message mentioned appeared.
Could it be some security restriction on my router, or something like that?
any other tip where to start the search?
Thanks very muuch!!!

Emilio Leyes
Salta, Argentina

I believe it's either something in your user name or password being wrong, OR, the port number being wrong in your SMTP server, OR, secure encryption being reversed on/off from where it needs to be, OR, you firewall blocking the port in use, OR, some combination of these things...

Keep your chin up! It'll be one of those, or your ISP has screwed you up in some way. Get back to us with the config info above if none of my suggestions work...

L8tr...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Byron McKay
wingrider101 at gmail dot com
http://byron.homelinux.com
http://www.xoopstyro.com
Xoops CMS Intranet sites for Business

emitojleyes

WOW!
i really get a lot of help in these forums!!
thanks very much for that
since i have a lot to try, i'll be doing it in these days and let you know about my results.
I think it's a security issue concerning my firewall.

The time i made XOOPS work for sending mails was from a Web Hosting server, and their server has all the internet security enabled, so XOOPS can work.

As i told you, my web hosting server this time is a PC of my organisation...
The question now is: specifically what do i hace to look for in the firewall restrivctions or configuration? what port number/s regarding to sendmail phpmail, smtp or smtpauth sending method?¿ what other configuration do i have to verify?
Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Emilio J. Leyes
Emilio Javier Leyes
Salta, Argentina

emitojleyes

wait a second...
when i use phpmail or sendmail, is it using the smtp server of my computar/network? sorry for my lack of knowledge about this...
My organization works with win2000server and Ms Exchange 2003 Server...
Emilio Javier Leyes
Salta, Argentina

emitojleyes

wait ANOTHER second....
i didn't know if had to use Mercury!
I have XAMPP and started mercury service, and could track the error message when i tried sending the mail.
It said:
"553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry."
But i had to uncheck an option in:
mercury.exe -> configuration -> mercuryS SMTP Server -> cennection control. y desactive "do not permit SMTP relaying non-local mail.

Thanks everyone for your help, and hope this thread be useful for someone with poor experience like me...!
Thanks again
Emilio Leyes
Salta, Argentina
Emilio Javier Leyes
Salta, Argentina

MitchM
  • 2008/4/3 19:35

• MitchM

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/31

Quote:
Last, try Google again, but know that Google SMTP uses "funny" port numbers, not port 25, and I believe they use SSL encryption as well. Confirm that with Google SMTP online help (it's in the web mail main menu at the top under HELP) and try it again with the right info.

Gmail does use SSL, so how do I configure it in the mail preferences?

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

119 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 119

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits