phppp
Re: Proposal: Towards A Sustainable Open Source Project
  • 2007/11/1 1:45

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

catzwolf_ wrote:
I might have been wrong, but since you are the project manager, core developer and current leader of this community, I thought it would have been easy for yourself to give this the tools required to do the job on this website without having to resort to other measures. I might have been wrong about that though, and personally I would have given this the resources required with the need of a begging bowl to be handed out to other people.

Yes, I am still "begging" people who control XOOPS Project resources to give back to the Project, but no luck. That's the reason I thank the community's efforts on the proposal to make XOOPS as ONE entity, not a "three-leg" (borrowed from someone) thing.

Let's get back to keep on topic.

Catzwolf
  • 2007/11/1 1:56

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

:off topic:: @DJ

Maybe it is time to put away the begging bowl with these people and start some legal action against them, because this is only hurting this project more and more daily.

MadFish
  • 2007/11/1 2:17

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

A forum is being created on xoops.org for team discussions. Could I ask team members to please reply to my email about procedural matters so we can get started, it is quite urgent. Also, please note that it seeks your opinions on many of the arrangements mentioned above, I am waiting for them :)

All team members: Can you please wait for the forum to be set up and the agenda to be agreed on so we can have an organized discussion? Otherwise we will just thrash about.

Please keep this thread strictly on topic and 100% flame-free. If people could also refrain from replying to off-topic posts and deliberate baiting, I would appreciate it. Will ask a moderator to clean up later on.

BlueStocking

MadFish,
Thank you.

Message received.
And pm submitted.

Darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

MadFish
  • 2007/11/1 10:04

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi Giba

My apologies, I misunderstood your PM. I will forward you the email shortly.

Marco
  • 2007/11/1 10:33

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

well, i tried not to interfere into this discussion too much, and i was abroad too. Please notice that i don't want any role, i just want to garantee the due segregation of duties within all my XOOPS activities.

1 - this became a 20+ pages discussion, with nice contributions, nice. But who can make a resume ? i've just noticed the enduser pages, those drawings are the best ways to resume. Who can put them here again into a resume post? i will try to analyse those afterall.

2- i think, beyond the titles/organization chart, we have to define first our spirit.
That's why i've asked several month ago for such a community manifest.
What's our management model ? are we open source? do we still want to create a company , with managers, advertisement, budgets and so on ?

3 - we have to recognize our past mistakes : would be great to state that we recognize ono , mith, skalpa,& others, contributions, without limitation. we know we made errors. we should be mature enough to recognize them and apologize. Our past is supposed to make us stronger and make a better xoops. we have to explain how we consider the XOOPS Cube project. i personaly think both have a lot to benefit from mutual cooperation.

4 - what's XOOPS philosophy/goal ? we want it to be a framework or a "all in one CMS", or both?

5- then, you will be able to talk about organization, with few basic rules
. Remember, small is beautifull.Keep it easy, modular, and short.
. We can not contribute on a daily basis. Only fun will help us to try to contribute on a daily basis
. we should be community driven (see point 2), so we should have a bottom up way of conduct, not top down. thanks DJ for your post, it's the first time one recognize such a statement (the bottom up).
. communication is a point we have to take care off.
. Actually, our main concern is core code. so keep focused on it, it's logical that's project management is given to core team. It could change later on.
. don't run for titles too much. we need organization but we are not MS or Google, not yet
. money is not a good friend for our concerns. keep it away from the contribution model. that's why i would prefer us to give the extra fees and revenues to the GNU foundation, and keep for us the minimum, only to pay servers maintenance. we can delete all the ads on xoops.org too. it's perhaps a good idead, but we are not mature at all to manage a foundation, sorry we are far away from the Mozilla model. Later on perhaps, but not yet.

Finally, there is 1 concern we have to manage, but this one is linked with the lack of community manifest (it's up to the community to set rules, not to a "foundation") :
- the foundation position and legitimity, which interfere with the server's issues, the contribution's willingness, the financial transparency, and success of each attempt to make XOOPS better (the blocked situation).

inputs?
Do synergy or die.

kaotik
  • 2007/11/1 14:33

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Good points Marco.

All the proposals have valid points, so I'm curious as to how this will be decided

I'd also like to express my appreciation (as a XOOPS user) to all the people who are now working together towards a common goal, making XOOPS better.
To all the team members:
Good luck and thank you! May your good judgment make XOOPS into the best cms out there!
www.kaotik.biz

sailjapan

Thank you kaotic. We appreciate and look forward to any input you and the rest of the community may care to give.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

sailjapan

Latest news on Team related developments available on XOOPS EndUser Wiki (publicly readable)

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MadFish
  • 2007/11/1 14:53

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi Marco

Thanks for your thoughts. It’s been proposed that the team should publish a summary of its discussions on each agenda item and invite the community to provide input at each step of the way – perhaps as a series of organised debates on particular issues. The idea is to try and give everyone the opportunity to provide input in the development of the draft proposal.

Hopefully, we will also be able to keep a wiki or similar up to date, to provide a public reference of progress. Reporting will definitely include organisational charts and things like that, and we will have a couple of people acting as rapporteurs. I will post more detail once we’ve sorted out the procedural arrangements.

It’s proposed to discuss some general principles before diving into the proposal, and this may very well provide good material for development of a community manifest. I guess we will have to see what comes out of the discussions.

We’ve just got a forum organised so that we can start work, but I can’t really say much more until the team has agreed on it is going to tackle the job. However I would like to assure all concerned that we aim to keep the community informed and are committed to giving everyone a chance to have input. It will take some time to get things started, so I hope people can be patient with us.

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits