seth_sd
Re: Proposal for new forum structure on xoops.org: Comments invited.
  • 2007/9/5 2:13

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:
Quote:

So why not get going with xoopsinfo.org being called - forums.xoops.org. Make the appropriate links on the front page of xoops.org, integrate the user database and add the additional search capabilities that would allow this to come together. Then move on to the next project which maybe docs or wiki or whatever. The organization owns the hardware and the domain name even though it will no longer be relevant once it's "forums.xoops.org". It's all in place and paid for - use it!

At Forums.xoops.org I can post on any form I can read.

At xoopsinfo.com if I want to comment to a person regarding a post I have to pm them -- That is true with anyone else who isn't in the approved circle.

To put it mildly, I resent this.

...darcy

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that some forums are read-only? That is true of the current xoops.org as well. Actually, I believe there are some forums that are not even visible to the community much less read-only!

It's all meaningless when configured properly. Plus, when the day comes that this hardware/software configuration is operating beyond its capacity it'll all be a non-issue anyway.

DJ, where are you? Who's in charge here? The discussion has been open for a while now. What's the decision? Who has the most important opinion here? kc0maz, is this what you were looking for? Is the community ready for this?
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

phppp
  • 2007/9/5 2:32

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:

DJ, where are you? Who's in charge here?

I am here from time to time but should be on sourceforge.net/projects/xoops everyday.

For "in charge here", check:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3926

In terms of decision on this topic, I thank the thread starter need answer the question. However, I think a decision should be made in such way:

1 making a proposal draft
2 publish the proposal and wait for feedbacks
3 collect the feedbacks
4 analyze the feedbacks and make adjustment
5 re-open feedbacks if necessary
6 make decision on the structure

Right now I guess we are at step #2?

BlueStocking

Excuse me DJ, but you erased the forum where I had posted this proposed structure for the future forums, including any feedback that had accumulated.

here is a proposed structure of the future forums.
Submitted 2007/7/11

General
Lounge
Feedbacks to the project and official sites

Support
XOOPS installation
Core usage
Theme usage
Module installation and usage

Core hacks and improvement
Module review
Module hacks and improvements
Theme review

Management
Complaints
XOOPS Council
Project Teams
Coordinator
Documentation
Core development (placeholder)
Design
Suggestions

I don't see a hairs difference in the two proposals.
The feedback has been pretty verbal as to exactly what is the purpose of some of these categories.

Step 1, 2, 3 and 4 (the slightly revised proposal) 5 (the two weeks worth of feedback)

We are RIGHT AT STEP 6 According to my calculations.

Where are we going from here?

...darcy
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

sailjapan

Pretty close, Darcy. This thread is step 5 and will remain open until Sunday. Thence 5.5 (summarization and drafting of 'the plan').
Trouble is, I can't find any one with the necessary rights/authority to make the steps 1~5 a step 6 reality.

I'll say this again (though my face may be showing a tinge of blue by now)

Which committee is charged with making the changes?
Who has the authority to alter the code of x.o site?
Who has the ability to action the same?

You know what? I can type these questions with my eyes closed I've asked it so often.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

debianus
  • 2007/9/5 7:03

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Quote:

According to Project Council report for August

Quote:
The Technical group has invited two server administrators, jdseymour and Mr Xiao LI. Both are excellent additions to the Technical group, and are handling the migration of XOOPS.org and dev.XOOPS.org to the new servers.

Quote:
Dave_L: technical group
studioC: theme design and new sites organization

However I suppose that you had readed this new too and I understand that your face may be showing a tinge of blue.

Peekay
  • 2007/9/5 9:41

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

From the project council report for August:

Quote:
The status of the current forums is yet to be decided. They will either be archived or merged into the new structure in some fashion.

That is encouraging news. I hope I speak for other users in asking that notifications remain usable, at the least for forum posts.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

seth_sd
  • 2007/9/5 12:54

• seth_sd

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/9

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
Pretty close, Darcy. This thread is step 5 and will remain open until Sunday. Thence 5.5 (summarization and drafting of 'the plan').
Trouble is, I can't find any one with the necessary rights/authority to make the steps 1~5 a step 6 reality.

I'll say this again (though my face may be showing a tinge of blue by now)

You know what? I can type these questions with my eyes closed I've asked it so often.

Crip

Hey Crip,

Who has the rights? PHPPP must. He wants to analayze this a little more because it hasn't been done enough times before so just hang in there.

Quote:
The Technical group has invited two server administrators, jdseymour and Mr Xiao LI. Both are excellent additions to the Technical group, and are handling the migration of XOOPS.org and dev.XOOPS.org to the new servers.

He's lined up his new server administrators, jdseymour obviously having been around for awhile is a nice addition. Mr Xiao Li is someone that I am not familiar with (maybe others are), although I'll take a shot in the dark and guess that he is "Xiaoca" and appears to have posted on these forums 3 times. Not that posting around here makes you smart but it seems like you would choose someone that is committed to the community,garnered its respect, knows how to communicate with it and has been around for awhile.

Seth
"Why can't we have a car powered on a mixture of patchouli oil, ignorance, and double standards? There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of that sh1t." - LR

Dave_L
  • 2007/9/5 13:58

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Xiao Li is an experienced server administrator and is involved with the XOOPS Chinese community. He was recommended by phppp, who knows him personally. I've seen his resume, and talked to him, and I think we're lucky that he's willing to volunteer his services to help us out.

But this is getting off the topic of this thread.

BlueStocking

----- Original Message -----
To: bluestockings_bs@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 6:41 AM
Subject: Idea?

We are going to have a problem, that you might be able to help with.

In order to provide world-class service, we will need to not only tell the
customer to post their question on another forum / web site, but hold their
hand in the process and take them there. We don't want to dump them there
and say ' Here you go, good luck and good bye' We want to
say, 'Bluestockings is there, and she will make sure you get your problem
taken care of.'

Do you think you can get a coordinator like position at Xi and work as liaison
between the two sites.

--
Michael Clark
clarkmic@svtv.com

I was asked to take this position eariler, but I respectfully declined, but I believe I am now in a position where I would like to work as a liaison between the community sites. I have been independently doing that and expect to continue along these lines in the future.

So kc0maz, if you still want me to fill that position I am ready to accept the challenge.

...darcy
End User rep.
End User Team

This relates to the forum structure topic because it has to do with moving people from the forums here to the forums on xoopsinfo.com.

Lets not forget permissions that go along with the fourm categorys. What are they going to be here as opposed to what they currently are?
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Peekay
  • 2007/9/5 16:31

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

seth_sd wrote:
... Not that posting around here makes you smart but it seems like you would choose someone that is committed to the community,garnered its respect, knows how to communicate with it and has been around for awhile.

Another good reason not to re-register in a new forum. Otherwise we're all back to the status of 'just popping in'.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits