gtop00
Re: [XoopsProject] proposal - XOOPS End Users Team
  • 2007/6/15 10:05

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Well my friend Crip, I surely agree with all that you are saying.
The problem was (and hopefully will not be) that the listeners of these voices were not reacting.
If there is not someone (or a team) that CAN TAKE SOME DECISIONS, then you or me or anybody else, will continue to propose, comment, advice, request for ever.

I hope and I wish that this time phppp will manage it. We all are supporting him to and respect his initiative. We do not grumbling, we are just propose or comment in good faith.

Actually, we all need something simple (as have been said many times): A functional, up to date, safe and well supported CMS under an well organized Team.

debianus
  • 2007/6/16 11:10

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

Resuming some very interesting ideas:

Quote:
Dave_Ls
Raising the issue of end-users, and useability, is a good idea. The users' perspective is often overlooked in software development.

Quote:
skenow
If such a group were gathered just prior to the alpha release of a new version, they would be commmited to testing and providing user acceptance feedback for the beta and final release candidates. Once the final release is published, they can debrief and be disbanded. Another group can be established for the next release series. If big software companies can do this, I think we might be able to learn from them.

Quote:
kc0maz
The end-user team / person sounds like a great idea. Some team/person to compile all the comments, complaints of the web masters, end-users, and ideas of those passing through and make reasonable recommendations to the various development teams.

Quote:
madfish
One thing that I hope all teams will do is to develop a mechanism for encouraging and reviewing community suggestions and contributions, in a coordinated manner.

An example would be publishing an open task list (that community members can propose additions to, or take on themselves), and a procedure for reviewing/accepting/rejecting community contributions on a regular basis.

Teams need to look past their own membership to see how they can engage the *whole community* in their work. Closed teams that try to do everything internally will fail - this is an important XOOPS lesson from the past. Please don't repeat it!

I can not resume gtop000`s ideas: all are excelents

There are fine messages here. Of course it is difficult to think about a team of end users.
But there are things that must change.
1. - He is not acceptable that for to use XOOPS a user must patch a pile of archives of Core. You want captcha, patches; you want URL short, patches; you want autologin, patches; you want security, install protector, patches.
Where are these hacks?. Not in xoops.org. Where are the support or discussion for these hacks?. Not in xoops.org.
The newbies believe that it not easy install protector, captcha, simplified URL. They are in right.
Whichever archives I do not have myself already patched in my installation. It is very difficult to help the newbies sometimes.
2. - "The modules do not have to comprise of Core".I do not have knowledge to say nothing on the matter, but somebody is going to prove XOOPS will be been strange somewhat of not being able to do nothing. Look at opensourcecom.com
Quote:

Couldn't find anywhere to add new pages in the demo, so I'm as confused as Brian Haines.
Can't recommend this CMS.

Well; there is a discussiĆ³n about this matter in sorceforge

Although an end user can not to say what is the best for the core (and I am not a encoder), I want that if a newbie try XOOPS for a new project he can do something as easy than write a new, put a link etc. Then it is possible that he stays in xoops.
Which is the best way for modules and patches? I do not know it. But the core team must know these problems.
They can not read handreds of post in forum for to know what xoopers need. The same about future releases; XOOPS 2.3 or 2.4 will need to testing and providing user acceptance feedback.
Resume: we need comunication between coredev and end users. Which is the best way por this?.
I believe that The XOOPS community coordination Team Proposal by phppp is not the solution:
Quote:

Tasks:
1 responsible for daily administrative jobs
2 help users to contact corresponding teams upon their requests
3 help users to understand and use XOOPS correctly
4 help users to use the XOOPS official sites properly

A new team?. It is possible we have too much teams; and: Why xxx is the leader? How could a person to represent the community? What about feedback between a new team and the community?. I have questions, no answers.

I am confused. However, there are useful ideas here and we nedd to do something about this, not only speak.
Quote:

gtop00

Actually, we all need something simple (as have been said many times): A functional, up to date, safe and well supported CMS under an well organized Team.

BlueStocking

Never mind...
It is not really an XOOPS problem.
Its a end-user personal objective, I realize that now.

A BlueStockings Invitation.
http://dev.xoops.org/modules/phpwiki/
Use the translation link please or a direct link to the work in progress.http://upnrunnin.hypermart.net/xoops03/
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

sailjapan

Don't let the b***ers grind you down, BlueStocking.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

phppp
  • 2007/6/17 1:35

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Good ideas.
Most of the missions of the team are covered by "community coordinator" and "advisory team".

However, IMHO, it will be a very good practice if you build the team as a "purely community based and self organized unit" -- Not meant to be opposite with the "official teams" which are reporting to XOOPS Project Council, but to be a users organized and users managed team.
And let's see which is the better way: officially managed or users self organized.

BlueStocking

Phppp
Thank you very much,

I would like to request an End Users forum placed in a like area as the xoops.org members lounge.
Where we might proceed to implement our ideas. I respectfully request you permit SailJapan and I access and moderator privileges for this specific area and purpose.

Thank you,
BS
Darcy Stonesifer
Benton, AR.

tom
  • 2007/6/17 2:45

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
I respectfully request you permit access and moderator privileges for this specific area and purpose.

Quote:
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

BlueStocking

Tom,

I am not qualified to write useful code.
I am not qualified to edit XOOPS documents.
I am not qualified to translate documents into other languages.
I am not qualified to run the daily business of xoops.

If one were to list all the things I am not qualified to do the list would never be completed.

It is a short list of what I am qualified to do.

And at the Top of that list is to put together the means by which others may accomplish those tasks.

I am asking to be allowed to take the first 'baby step' in the direction of 'NEW BLOOD' participation.

I would appreciate this opportunity, to see what the silent majority has to offer.

I would hope to get your support.

Thank you,
BlueStockings.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/18 8:48

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I think there could be some merit in having an end-user team, or at least a forum/area dedicated to end-user issues. End users and devs (and administrators!) often see things is a very different way.

As there isn't much risk or effort required to implement this proposal, and as it may be useful, why not try it out? Maybe its value could be reassessed after six months or something to see if people want to continue?

Quote:
I am not qualified to edit XOOPS documents.

Oh yes you are! The Operations Guide was largely written by novice users, who sat there and experimented with all the functions to see what they did.

I am hoping that we will be able to publish an open list of documentation needs, that community members can contribute to, in terms of writing or editing. But more on that later :)

giba
  • 2007/6/18 9:31

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

I agree with MadFish too

Login

Who's Online

103 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 103

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits