Re: [XoopsTeam] progress - module development - June 9th
  • 2007/6/13 9:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:
@Snow77,

What has been done in two days is a breath of fresh air.
I have waited much to long to see a working Wiki in service and ready for our use.

And who did this? Snow!
Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:
I really don't care about all the planing it is time to SEE SOME RESULTS. No, its past time....

The people who have been working hard for many months may think otherwise.

MadFish
  • 2007/6/13 10:08

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I really appreciate that a lot of work has been going on to get some of these sites ready and I don't want to see it wasted. Neither do the people that did all the work, I am sure.

But it is also true that a lot of the planning wasn't done in the open where the community could discuss it, and with hindsight, and maybe it should have been.

So I'd like to suggest that a specific community discussion be held on on:

i) How XOOPS.org can best be devolved into subsites.
ii) What work has already been done on this.
iii) How to move forward (in a more united way).

I am pretty confident that the community will want to make use of the existing work - but at the moment, they don't know what's been done. Opening a discussion will be a good way to inform the community, give people a bit of ownership in the process, maybe refine a few ideas, and make best use of the existing work.

Just another (respectfully offered) 2 cents, as usual.

sailjapan

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
... it is also true that a lot of the planning wasn't done in the open where the community could discuss it, and with hindsight, and maybe it should have been.

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Opening a discussion will be a good way to inform the community, give people a bit of ownership in the process, maybe refine a few ideas, and make best use of the existing work.

I think MadFish is right to point out that work done is always appreciated, and that no-one is saying that it should be thrown away.
I also believe that he is dead on the nail when he makes the two comments quoted above.

Crip
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

solo71
  • 2007/6/13 12:25

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

I would like to propose my candidature as "module development member".

I think I can say I'm a module developper, while I'm not basically a real coder. As part of an independant module development team (along with Blueteen and DuGris), I think I can bring some experience in this area.

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 15:03

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

it is also true that a lot of the planning wasn't done in the open where the community could discuss it, and with hindsight, and maybe it should have been.

the way this site & forum has been the last year or so, and even now.

if all this work & planning had been done out in the open, it would NOT be at the stage it is at now.. which is 99% complete.

instead it would be stuck in the middle somewhere with everyone chipping in with their opinions and talking this, talking that and so on. without anything really getting done because nobody would be agreeing on anything. in fact the whole discussion would no doubtedly have turned into another flame-war or thread full of personal insults and noise!

so we chose to just get on with it and do it without the hassle of having everyone keep debating what should be and what shouldn't be..

the point being it's done, it's practically ready for opening.. or should i say it was ready for opening.

instantzero

Quote:

vaughan wrote:
instead it would be stuck in the middle somewhere with everyone chipping in with their opinions and talking this, talking that and so on.

This is what we call a community and what we call an open project...
It's true that it's not a good thing when they are too much people but making things behind the curtain without giving any answer to the community is the worst thing that can be done (and that has been done).

One more time, it's a power abuse.

kris_fr
  • 2007/6/13 17:42

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

Welcome Solo
+ 1

vaughan
  • 2007/6/13 18:40

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

instantzero wrote:
Quote:

vaughan wrote:
instead it would be stuck in the middle somewhere with everyone chipping in with their opinions and talking this, talking that and so on.

This is what we call a community and what we call an open project...
It's true that it's not a good thing when they are too much people but making things behind the curtain without giving any answer to the community is the worst thing that can be done (and that has been done).

One more time, it's a power abuse.

well they're 99% done. but never mind. the community can't even decide on how it should be done with the restructure. and if they decide to keep the repository on x.org or move it to dev.xoops then, our efforts have been wasted.

maybe we should just run those sites independantly from XOOPS as personal sites instead? and when everyone decides what they actually want, they can build their own up from scratch again and maybe something will appear in another 6 months or so.

power abuse?? where's the power abuse? we built and designed the sites for the use of the community? i see no abuse of power there. choose your words carefully herve please.

and yes welcome solo & a +1 from me too.

phppp
  • 2007/6/13 23:17

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

akitson,
I think you'd better open a new thread for
"[XoopsTeam] progress - module development"
Then let's close this one

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits