phppp
[XoopsProject] proposal - XOOPS Project Council
  • 2007/6/10 1:30

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

The Project Council shall be the "lead element" for the Project, responsible for major decisions on project issues, of which managing the project teams is one of the top tasks.

The council members shall be elected periodically, most likely on a six-month base. Valid candidates shall come, but not limited, from project team leaders; the Core Development Leader shall be the council member automatically.

Now, before the Council is established officially, as the Project Leader, I would like to invite the following two as temporary members of the Council to assist the project management in any aspects:
tom
JMorris

skenow
Re: [XoopsProject] proposal - XOOPS Project Council
  • 2007/6/10 1:44

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

This is an excellent example of leadership and vision!

From a continuity standpoint, having members overlapping their terms would be good, so the team is not completely new to the tasks when they assume their roles.

Also, having a small group (3 - 7 people) will allow them to act quickly, without a lot of debate, especially at times when action is required, not discussion.

This group of individuals - DJ, Tom and JMorris - have all shown their commitment to XOOPS and the community. In an effort to balance this council, may I suggest adding 2 members 'at large', not part of any other team, representing the community. This would bring the group to 5 members.

JMorris
  • 2007/6/10 1:52

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

DJ,

I accept your invitation and look forward to aiding in establishing an environment that embodies and enables a true Open Source spirit.

Thank you,

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

tom
  • 2007/6/10 2:22

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

I feel rather honoured that my name be mentioned out of all the possible and potential candidates.

I have told you at least once before DJ, all you have to do is ask, and with that in mind, I accept.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

sailjapan

Excellent news

The following probably goes without saying, but just to be clear...

I trust that we will be working on horizontal-heirachical (heterarchy) principals here, as opposed to vertical. (Wikipedia).

A system where by the 'Leaders' of the various Teams/Comitees will be:
a) be acting as delegates sent out by their teams.
b) be conduits through which team members (and team constituencies) can be heard.
c) be messengers bringing back proposals for approval/dismissal to their constituent members.

What I want to say is, I believe that the 'Teams' should be trusted with responsible autonomy and respected enough that the role of the proposed Project Council would be more one of coordination than dictation.

I believe that our community as a whole should take more responsibility for the course that XOOPS is to follow. Give the community the means to co-operate in the construction of XOOPS (teams) and the tools with which to be heard (team 'leaders') and the results will be startling.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

phppp
  • 2007/6/10 2:47

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Great inputs, sailjapan

Unfortunately, we are not able to access wikipedia from inside of mainland China :(

tom
  • 2007/6/10 2:50

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Hi DJ, here is the info from the Wikipedia links of sailjapan:

horizontal-heirachical:
Quote:
A heterarchy is a network of elements sharing common goals in which each element shares the same "horizontal" position of power and authority, each having an equal vote. A heterarchy may be independent or at some level in a hierarchy. Each level in a hierarchical system is composed of a heterarchy which contains its constituent elements.

Both a hierarchy and a heterarchy are systems in which multiple dynamic power structures govern the actions of the system. They represent different types of network structures that allow differing degrees of connectivity. In a hierarchy every node is connected to at most one parent node and zero or more child nodes. In a heterarchy, however, a node can be connected to any of its surrounding nodes without needing to go through or get permission from some other node.

Socially, a heterarchy distributes privilege and decision-making among participants, while a hierarchy assigns more power and privilege to the members high in the structure.

A heterarchical structure processes more information more effectively than hierarchical design. An example of the potential effectiveness of heterarchy would be the rapid growth of the heterarchical Wikipedia project in comparison with the failed growth of the Nupedia project. Heterarchy increasingly trumps hierarchy as complexity and rate of change increase.

A heterarchical network could be used to describe neuron connections or democracy, although there are clearly hierarchical elements in both.

The term heterarchy is used in conjunction with the concepts of holons and holarchy to describe individual systems at each level of a holarchy.

Heterarchy can be defined as an organizational form somewhere between hierarchy and network that provides horizontal links that permit different elements of an organization to cooperate whilst individually optimizing different success criteria. In an organizational context its beauty is the way in which it permits the legitimate valuation of multiple skills, types of knowledge or working styles without privileging one over the other. In an organizational context, heterarchy, responsible autonomy and hierarchy are combined under the umbrella term Triarchy.

This concept has also been applied to the field of archaeology, where it has enabled researchers to better understand social complexity. For further reading see the works of Carole Crumley.

responsible autonomy:
Quote:
In the study of organizations and how they work, it is often suggested that there are only three ways of "getting things done": hierarchy, heterarchy and responsible autonomy[citation needed]. This theory is called triarchy theory. In a management or organizational system based on responsible autonomy, an individual or a group has autonomy to decide what to do, but is accountable for the outcome of the decision. It might be called ‘no rule’, or rather, no external rule. The existence of accountability distinguishes responsible autonomy from anarchy. Responsible autonomy requires clearly defined boundaries at which external direction stops. Here are some examples:

* Adam Smith described the operation of autonomy in the economic sphere, where the actions of autonomous firms combine to generate the ‘invisible hand’ of the market. The need to generate enough cash to survive provides the necessary accountability. Financially successful firms survive and grow; unsuccessful ones do not. The invention of limited liability as a form of legal incorporation provided an important boundary between a company and its shareholders.

* Basic scientific research, in academe and in research institutes, is largely conducted by autonomous groups, which are led by principal investigators. These groups develop their reputations by publishing reports in peer-reviewed journals. Principal investigators apply for research grants from various funding bodies. Grants are given subject to the novelty and significance of the grant application and the reputation of the group. The principal investigator’s freedom to choose research topics and to recruit people provides autonomy. The group’s continued existence depends on it continuing to publish good science - this provides accountability.

* Investment management institutions usually give individual fund managers a lot of autonomy. If a fund does well, relative to the sector or to the market as a whole, its manager may be given a larger fund and will attract more clients. Autonomy is provided by the internal policies of the investment institution. Accountability is provided by the performance of the fund.

Courtesy of Wikipedia under the GNU Free Documentation License
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

sailjapan

Thanks for that, Tom, and glad to hear that we're all on the same page DJ.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

slyss
  • 2007/6/10 6:22

• slyss

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/1/26

Quote:

skenow wrote:
This is an excellent example of leadership and vision!

yes!!! this is the right way...
[size=x-large]2008 Xoops Book[/size]

Predator
  • 2007/6/13 13:07

• Predator

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/20

Hi all,

long time ago i was also part of this project and therefor several years in the Coreteam. I had in the last months a lot requests to come back.

As a Core Member of Joomla! to be involved in two projects is not possible, so i was thinking about pro and contras to come back and resign from Joomla! because my heart was and is still by XOOPS.

I made my decision and have resigned from Joomla! Coreteam (the offical announcement will take time as allways) and would like to help with my collected experience to give XOOPS a new kick in the right direction, surely depends on the fact if you would like to have my person involved here

If not i will enjoy the free time then , but would like more to help the XOOPS Project as i believe i could help.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards

Marko aka Predator
Predator

- Time is a created thing. To say, "I don't have time" is like saying "I don't want to."
- Lao-Tzu......

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits