JMorris
[XOOPS Team] JMorris - Server Administration - Leader
  • 2007/6/8 12:40

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

My experience includes AAS Degree with an emphasis in Computer and Information Technology. CompTIA A+ and Network+ Certifications. 5 years experience in working with LAMP configurations. Experience as a technician for WVU-P and Woodcraft Supply, LLC. 2 years serving on the Server Administration Team for the XOOPS Project. Own a consulting firm in this field.

I would like to continue forth in this role and note that JDSeymour (current co-Admin) and the Surpass Dedicated Server Support Team would also be involved in in managing the XOOPS server resources.

I would like to extend my deepest appreciation to Ackbarr and EPC USA for their years of generous support and contribution. Thank you!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

christian
Re: [XOOPS Team] JMorris - Server Administration - Leader
  • 2007/6/8 13:31

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

Thank for your work James, but have you envisaged to publish an assessment of your activity on xoops.org server for the 3 last years ?

JMorris
  • 2007/6/8 15:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I am unclear what you mean by the word envisaged, but if you are asking me to account for my activity as a Server Admin over the past three years here at XOOPS, I would be happy to provide such information.

First, I would like to publicly correct myself. I took some time and went back through news announcements here and pinpointed the time around when I first became involved in XOOPS Server Management. I became involved shortly after the SF.net sabotage incident. So, to be accurate, I have been involved for almost 2 years. I have edited my post above to correctly represent my experience at XOOPS. I apologize for the mistake.

How I became involved is I was asked by the management at the time to assist in hardening the security of the servers, which I agreed to do. Since then, I have remained on the team and have assisted in numerous tasks including:

* Recovery from xoops.org being hacked (from inside - not a server vulnerability)
* Upgrading, installing, managing and optimizing software
* Monitoring and auditing
* Emergency response (24hrs/day) in the event of system failure (MySQL crashing on Dev.xoops.org is a recent example)
* Managing system packages and updates
* Scripting routine maintenance tasks

The above are mostly routine tasks that quietly behind the scenes with no need of announcement. During this 2 year period, there were roughly 6 months of time where I was near inactive as my then "day job" did not afford much time for XOOPS. During that time, JDSeymour and Ackbarr continued on with the routine maintenance tasks.

After leaving my "day job" and starting my own business in consulting, I started having more time for XOOPS and resumed my role as a Server Admin. During this time, Ackbarr had been promoted to VP of EPC USA and JDSeymour also started having less time for XOOPS due to his "day job".

When XOOPS.org started having a rash of DB Connection Failures, the XOOPS Foundation asked me to evaluate the current servers and propose an action plan on how to upgrade the servers to meet the current and future needs of the project. After performing this task and thoroughly evaluating our current resources and making my recommendation to the Foundation, I was tasked with the duty of performing the configuration and optimization of the 2 new dedicated servers provided by Surpass hosting, and to oversee the migration and restructuring of the XOOPS Project websites.

That is the capacity I have been performing in for the last few months.

So, to be precise, my "active" experience at XOOPS.org as a Server Admin is 1 year 6 months. However, I have been managing the task of building, optimizing, and hardening the new XOOPS servers, which we all shall soon benefit from. As shown by the recent testing of the new servers, I believe in openness and working as a community team.

The above experience and qualifications are my grounds for nomination as the Lead Server Admin. Ackbarr has stated he can only take a consultant role now, and JDSeymour has stated he can only assist part-time.

I hope this is suitable clarification.

Thank you,

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

marcan
  • 2007/6/8 15:17

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

You have my vote James
.:: marcan (aka mal aka Marc-André) ::.
.:: Open Source :: The SmartFactory ::.
.:: XOOPS Professional Services :: INBOX International ::.

christian
  • 2007/6/8 20:50

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

Thank you very much to have published very quickly this clear answer.

studioC
  • 2007/6/8 21:12

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

thanks for the lot of work, James!

michael

tom
  • 2007/6/9 19:32

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Well I'm sure your aware, but I'll state it publicly anyway, you have my support
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits