mrphilong
Every module should...
  • 2007/5/23 0:06

• mrphilong

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/7/14

Here is my wish list that I think every module should have;

1. Be cloneable - since you are the author it would be extremely easy for your to point out what needed to change for the module to be cloned.

Feel free to add yours.
www.UcChau.Net
www.XoopsViet.Org

Will_H
Re: Every module should...
  • 2007/5/23 1:00

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

2. Be Compliant - Module output should meet atleast W3C standards.

(I know, I know - Creates a lot more work... but it would speak bounds about the quality of the cms if the developers took this into mind before publishing a module.)

JMorris
  • 2007/5/23 2:58

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I second both of the above and add the following...

3. Use SEF URLs. - Like this
.../modules/blog/archives/site-updates-and-more/

4. Consistent Editor Options - 1 Extended DHTML editor and 1 WYSIWYG Editor. Keep it simple and fine tune it.

5. Captcha! - Need I say more?

EDIT: This post went on a diet and lost a few pounds of fluff.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

MadFish
  • 2007/5/23 3:12

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

* Be audited by a knowledgeable person to ensure all input/sql queries are properly validated (ie. security).

* Have well-documented/commented code.

* Use meaningful variable names so that other people can UNDERSTAND what the code is about.

chippyash
  • 2007/5/23 5:21

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
* Be audited by a knowledgeable person to ensure all input/sql queries are properly validated (ie. security).

Actually if mod devs used the XOOPS API properly then this wouldn't be necessary as any security holes would effect all mods and therefore be fixable by a change to the XOOPS core.

This form of third party acreditation that you hint at isn't going to work in an open source environment unless we can find that one person in the world who is interested in taking on such an onerous task (vetting all modules being developed line by line) for free!

There are a few earlier suggestions and indeed sme work has been already done on providing a quality assurance framework for module development (search the archives). Most or all have failed because there is not the collective will to impose it (e.g. a XOOPS Acredited Module stamp) nor the brave souls to take it on and run it. Most acreditation schemes I know of come with a bill, precisely because it does take a deal of effort by someone to do the work.

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits