pumpkin1
IE7 Style='clear: both;" issue
  • 2007/3/2 2:24

• pumpkin1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/3/2 2

OK so I'm not a HUGE developer anymore and am not too good with CSS and PHP...but I know that my problem lies somewhere with clearing my floats for positioning.
I am trying to get a footer at the end of each page - works great with the home page, but as soon as another page is called, the footer overlays text - instead of positioning AFTEr the last text...did I make sense?
This ONLY seems to happen in IE7 - works fine in 6.
I am using <div style="clear: both;"></div> just before my call to the footer divs...
driving me nuts I tell ya :) ANY HELP PLS??

Cuidiu
Re: IE7 Style='clear: both;" issue
  • 2007/3/2 6:45

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Hi pumpkin1,

I'm no expert either but have you tried <br clear="all" /> instead of the div?

Otherwise, maybe someone here with more experience can help you.

Good luck,
C

Quote:

pumpkin1 wrote:
OK so I'm not a HUGE developer anymore and am not too good with CSS and PHP...but I know that my problem lies somewhere with clearing my floats for positioning.
I am trying to get a footer at the end of each page - works great with the home page, but as soon as another page is called, the footer overlays text - instead of positioning AFTEr the last text...did I make sense?
I am using <div style="clear: both;"></div> just before my call to the footer divs...
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

pumpkin1
  • 2007/3/2 11:41

• pumpkin1

• Just popping in

Yep...tried the clear=all and still had the same results. I think the footers getting lost somewhere - comes up near the bottom under other floats, but not at the end like desired.

Cuidiu
  • 2007/3/2 19:10

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

Are you trying to make the page fit the screen height at 100%? If so, I've done something similar and I think I put the footer as the last div underneath the wrapper div:

In the theme head:
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<style>
#wrapper {height: 100%;}
</style>
<![endif]-->

In the theme CSS file:
html, body {height: 100%;}
#wrapper {min-height: 100%;}

(The above is from memory so accuracy is not guaranteed)

Not sure how that would work with your setup though.

pumpkin1
  • 2007/3/4 11:16

• pumpkin1

• Just popping in

Yes, I tried that also w/o any luck. Seems this footer is destined to overlay stuff..

Tobias
  • 2007/4/18 4:38

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

Is it overlaying, or moving into the same line? Because if it's overlaying (displaying on top of something other, z-index wise), then I would assume it's not an issue with clearing, but with positioning. Something's getting a fixed vertical position in relation to some element, or the viewport. Makes sense?

Can of course also be that a floated container is expanding beyond its containing element. But that's not what IE was famous for. In that case, clear:both underneath the longest container should normally do.
www.affvu.org

DobePhat
  • 2007/4/18 5:13

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Can you provide more details about the structure of what you you are trying to clear? Are you floating left mostly within a container? How much is pure css and how much is tables...(they fuss with eachother so their relationship is unique)

Let me brainstorm with you....
-Have you tried applying the clear property to the footer container?
-Check to see your div containers are floating and where,
-display:Inline is also a common IE fix for floated elements, you might experiment with that on some major elements.
-moving the footer out of the main container with same width and margin as container would work on last resort.

Try and validate as much of the code as possible. Run a test on it..you may get a lots of errors...but there might be one you can easily fix that will solve the problem.

Does it display right in firefox? Usually if it displays right in firefox and not IE7 its because something with regard to specificity was over looked, IE still need to be told exactly what to do. Overlapping text can mean also that you may have set a height?

-Hard to help with out more details. have a link or something?

Good luck Im sure youll get it resolved soon.

Cuidiu
  • 2007/4/19 16:33

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

Perhaps you could try adding this to your CSS class for your footer to get it to behave:
#footer {zoom: 1;}

Quote:

pumpkin1 wrote:

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits