Tobias
Akismet implementation for Xoops
  • 2006/10/30 16:51

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

I'm using Akismet on a Coppermine gallery, and it works great. I would love to see it for XOOPS as well, as a module or just a dirty hack.
www.affvu.org

chippyash
Re: Akismet implementation for Xoops
  • 2006/10/30 17:38

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Just had a look at this and it looks very interesting. I see one problem though in that although you could probably make a module to 'manage' your akismet/wordpress account for the akismet interface, in and of itself it does nothing until you add the API into some module that needs the functionality, such as CBB or smartSection etc. Thus it is possibly better perhaps to direct your request at the developers of those modules via their support sites. If you could fire their enthusiasm, they may well create the management module on the side.

Tobias
  • 2006/10/30 19:09

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

True. I guess I was thinking about something like DuGris's Captcha class (SecurityImage). Something which could administer the traffic with the Akismet server and which would potentially have an interface, to drop in keys and stuff. And which could then be called with an easy hack from the routines that validate posts and write them to the database in the different modules. They work, of course, all slightly different, so it's probably not possible to implement it centrally, without hacking each of them. Would be nifty, though, to have it in "comments."

DuGris's captchas work great, but Akismet's behind the scenes approach is just plain cool. Kiss good bye to them dirty spammers, without having to explain an extra step to your users. I'm getting considerable amounts of spam on my Wflinks. It's always required admin approval. Don't those #OOPS#s ever learn their #OOPS# just doesn't get onto my page anyway? Well, I guess it's just too cheap to submit spam.
www.affvu.org

chippyash
  • 2006/10/31 6:40

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Yeah, I get spamshots on my links modules as well, but have always had them moderated so it never gets to be live. It's not too much of a problem. Where I do see a rise is in public forums, so although I use DuGris's work as well, it won't stop the determined spammers. Something like this may be the answer.

Tobias
  • 2006/11/1 18:12

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

Would be great to have it in forums and comments, but with all the work phppp is doing for all of us, I don't feel like asking him for another feature.

I seem to have effectively blocked myself from posting anonymously to my Akismet protected Coppermine gallery by just sending two or three spam samples through the system, for testing purposes. I guess I should change my IP.
www.affvu.org

Tobias
  • 2007/2/23 22:23

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

I actually figured out a way to use Akismet for my wf-links, and I certainly don't think it requires a rocket scientist to modify other modules in a similar way. My way is quick and dirty, would of course be better to have a full implementation, but that would imply fooling around with the database. Certainly not worth it for the amount of traffic in my links section, and XOOPS wide, I think it's not that easy.

I basically just use the Akismet class you can find by following the respective link on the following page, depending on whether you're on PHP4 or 5:http://akismet.com/development/ I call this class immediately before the module would otherwise write a new submission to the database, and if the submission does not pass the Akismet test, writing to database is aborted and I send myself an email or whatever, so I can see I've successfully blocked some spam and have a little party.

For this to work, you need to get for yourself an Akismet API key athttp://akismet.com/personal/

I can give a little more detail if that is wished.
www.affvu.org

MikeOConnor

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I would **love** to have more detail on how you wove Akismet into a XOOPS module. I've been using it with my WordPress blogs and it's absolutely the greatest thing since sliced bread. Cut my comment spam from 50 a day to zero.

My XOOPS blogs are getting hammered and Akismet would be just the ticket.

So, if you're still watching this thread, let me throw myself at your feet -- details would be GREAT.

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/25 0:45

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Hey Mike,

I'm not sure which blog module your using, but the recent xPress blog module might elp aleviate your spam problem. It's Wordpress wrapped in a XOOPs gift box.

I haven't done any extensive testing, but I see no reason why Akismet won't work with the xPress module, in fact it comes bundled with the module. All you need is an API key.

Hope it helps some.
XOOPS Community Support

MikeOConnor

Hi Stew,

The thing I find appealing about Akismet integrated into XOOPS modules is that Wordpress doesn't do all the same stuff that XOOPS does. I use AMS for some complex sites, and I'd love to be able to stitch Akismet into those sites without having to convert them over to WordPress.

Stewdio
  • 2007/2/25 3:45

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more!
XOOPS Community Support

Login

Who's Online

108 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 108

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits