Sritsod
Can't access xoops test site from another computer in local network!
  • 2007/1/11 0:59

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/3/15

Hi there!

I'm trying XOOPS again and the install using WAMP was perfect. I'm trying to access my XOOPS test site on the webserver from other computers in my local network. I can get to a XOOPS login screen but there are no graphics. It's just a plain looking website. When I enter in my admin login and password it won't let me any further into the site. I'd like to edit and play with the site from my laptop, in my bedroom, in my underwear, but I'm stuck. I just can't seem to find any help for this type of problem here or on the web.

Thanks for any help!!

Sritsod

zyspec
Re: Can't access xoops test site from another computer in local network!
  • 2007/1/11 2:05

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

I believe the WAMP install is intended for localhost access and not intended to be accessed remotely. I believe there are people who have modified the install previously but my quick search didn't find anything relevant.

You may need to install Apache (or IIS), PHP and MySQL then install XOOPS once it's working in order to remotely access the installation.

Edit: Check this post to see if it helps:

leostotch
  • 2007/1/11 4:09

• leostotch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/1 1

Quote:
I'm trying XOOPS again and the install using WAMP was perfect. I'm trying to access my XOOPS test site on the webserver from other computers in my local network. I can get to a XOOPS login screen but there are no graphics.

Looks like you installed XOOPS specifying "http://localhost" as your site name.
Edit your mainfile.php, and change the XOOPS_URL value, replacing "localhost" by the name or ip address you use to access your site remotely.

You may also need to delete all the .php files in the templates_c folder after that to ensure everything show up correctly.

Quote:
I believe the WAMP install is intended for localhost access and not intended to be accessed remotely.

It's not entirely right... WAMP works when used remotely, it's just that by default most people just access it using http://localhost/ coz they don't know any other way... and as a result XOOPS uses this when you install it.

Now, if you want you can give your computer a real name:
- Go to "Control panel/system" in Windows
- Go to the page "Computer name"
- Click "change"
- Enter a nice name for your computer, for instance: "bedroom" (just letters or numbers, no spaces or hypens)
- Click OK to close all, and reboot

From now on, you'll be able to access your WAMP installed on the "bedroom" computer by going to http://bedroom/ (and this should work locally, but also from all computers on your local network).

MadFish
  • 2007/1/11 8:02

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

You might also need to check that the firewall on each PC (if you have one!) is configured to allow them to talk to each other. Third party firewalls like zone alarm can block file and printer sharing by default.

Sritsod
  • 2007/1/11 18:44

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

Thanks for all the replys, I will try it when I get home tonight. Now I did edit my hosts file on the main server and set it's computer name on the network to the 127 ip address. When I'm on a windows machine I can type the name in in the address bar and get the site but again without graphics. I want to stress again that I just want to access the site from the webserver from other computers within my local home network not from the web. I'm not sure if in the post about remotely means from the web. I will keep messing with it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Sritsod

Sritsod
  • 2007/1/11 18:46

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

Thanks for all the replys, I will try it when I get home tonight. Now I did edit my hosts file on the main server and set it's computer name on the network to the 127 ip address. When I'm on a windows machine I can type the name in in the address bar and get the site but again without graphics. I want to stress again that I just want to access the site from the webserver from other computers within my local home network not from the web. I'm not sure if in the post about remotely means from the web. I will keep messing with it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Sritsod

Sritsod
  • 2007/1/11 18:46

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

Thanks for all the replies, I will try it when I get home tonight. Now I did edit my hosts file on the main server and set it's computer name on the network to the 127 ip address. When I'm on a windows machine I can type the name in in the address bar and get the site but again without graphics. I want to stress again that I just want to access the site from the webserver from other computers within my local home network not from the web. I'm not sure if in the post about remotely means from the web. I will keep messing with it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Sritsod

Sritsod
  • 2007/1/11 18:52

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

Doh ... sorry about the multiples. Don't hit the send buttton multiple times when things are lagging.

Sritsod

Sritsod
  • 2007/1/11 21:38

• Sritsod

• Just popping in

Ok I changed the mainfile.php and set the xoops_url to the ip address of the windows machine running the server. I can connect now and get the theme graphics ... except for the XOOPS flash banner. Those I can not see. Any ideas? Again thanks for all the help.

Sritsod

dizzymarkus

goto admin banners -- edit banners to reflect the proper address. IE

http://localhost/yourSITEname/banners/imageNAME

I had this problem after nameing the pc lol but i changed the banner address' and all is well.

Markus

Good Luck

Login

Who's Online

173 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 173

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits