mesol
Make Listing of Compatible Modules
  • 2006/11/11 6:42

• mesol

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/19

I cross my mind when to install or upgrade module, we absolutely thinking about compatibility of the module with our XOOPS version.

My idea is each author or module developers MUST/Compulsory to add which XOOPS version compatible with their module.

To admin, please add one new Forum under XOOPS Modules Support forums just for Module Compatibility.

So, that every new module or upgrade version of that module, we didn't have to ask anymore about which XOOPS version can be install with that module.

I hope this will help us to decide when coming to choosing right module. Right now, I still afraid to upgrade from XOOPS 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 because I have a hard time before when upgrading from XOOPS 2.0.13.2 to 2.0.14 becuase all my module messd up. To solve the problem, I backup my database, and install it from scratch. And all compatibility issues solved.

Ronaldus
Re: Make Listing of Compatible Modules
  • 2006/11/11 7:08

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/5/8 1

I think you're right, mesol, but the module repository is being redeveloped, and I'm sure the xoops.org members will think about this issue, and act accordingly.

Grtz,

davidl2
  • 2006/11/11 8:56

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

No one can order developers to do this, but we can - of course - ask them to test.

I believe the new repository will have guidelines to make it clearer when people add their new submissions... compatibility is almost certainly on the list as well.

However you'll find that its the older modules that may have problems with new releases - and the trouble there is that may not be supported.

Ronaldus
  • 2006/11/11 9:11

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

Off course David, that's just what I mean!
No offense meant to repository maintainers.

Testing should be done by the developer of the module, before the module is made public, IMHO, and results should be public.
If testing is not complete, or questions about stability remain, this should be public info as well, for example with a message "this module needs thorough/further testing, before it can be used on a production site".
Or create separate categories for stable and supported modules and 'experimental' ones.

Bottomline that the way things are now is not clear enough.

Greetz,

mesol
  • 2006/11/11 10:44

• mesol

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/19

no offense to command developers to to it. They already having a headache to give us useful module. But compatibility issues is the biggest problem I saw in Xoops.

m0nty
  • 2006/11/25 15:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

module developers do test their modules.. but they can't test everything because their server setups might not be the same as everyone elses.

the best way to test modules is for a number of people to test the module and report bugs (which is what is done in 99% of all developments) the bug trackers are public, that's the results of testing ;) providing the mod dev uses a bug tracker. most do.

also a module can be sometimes tested for months before being labelled as final, then inevitably once released someone will report even more bugs, it's a catch 22, testing is an ongoing development even after a final release due to the nature of open source and everybodies different server setups and different modules that they use on their sites..

the other thing is that most developers will test their versions on their current version of XOOPS (usually the latest version) you can't expect them to install several XOOPS versions and test the module on each.

that's where you come in. but usually if a module is labelled as beta or RC then you have to presume their will/might be bugs or compatibility issues. on that note tho, if we test and it works on 2.0.16 but not on 2.0.13.2 then you have to take account that it works.. and that the version of XOOPS you are using is out of date and needs updating, so you can't exactly blame the module dev for that. remember if your XOOPS is out of date, then that version of XOOPS may contain bugs or compatibility problems. that's why the updates are made. the issues may not be that the module is buggy, it maybe those bugs in that version of XOOPS that are stopping it working correctly, and why should devs have to make their module work with an older version of xoops? that would be like taking a step back in development.

the new repository will have info about compatibility, indeed it does at the moment if the submitter isn't lazy and actually fills in that part of the form. but all in all the new repository will be more maintained and up2date.

progress is happening that's for sure (not just words this time, it is actually being done and is actually nearly ready)

Ronaldus
  • 2006/11/25 16:11

• Ronaldus

• Friend of XOOPS

Thx for your reply mOnty,

Good things to read, and off course it's a 2-way process: users should not only 'demand' and complain, but also give feedback, AND do their best to keep their site up-to-date, AND make backups .

I'm really curious to the new repository!!

Thx and grtz,

snow77
  • 2006/11/25 17:22

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

I recommend to consult and/or add more entries to the module registry for this kind of things, it's like a dictionary of XOOPS existing modules, could use some new entries in it though.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits