technobia
CPU Utilization 100% with Weblinks
  • 2006/10/22 22:18

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/4/17

ENVIRONMENT:
Weblinks 1.13 Installed on XOOPS 2.0.14
I am running this on a Windows 2003 Server with IIS6.0. PHP 5.1.5 and MySQL 4.1.

I have 2084 links in the database and expect this database to be much much larger over the course of the next year at least.

I DEFINATLY have plans to migrate over to the Linux server but I do not have the financial resources to do so at this time. So, with that said I need to make this work as best I can in the short term.

ISSUE:
Accessing the Weblinks module causes the CPU utilization on my server to jump to 100% utilization and stay there. I can browse and search the directory but I can not load the submit a new link form. The form does not come up only a page that is not part of the site theme which only displys the form instructions and not the actual form itself. Debug reports the following:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\...\www\class\database\databasefactory.php on line 25

I assume this error is related to the CUP utilization and the module does not have time to process the request and or query the database.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is this a bug or a limitation in the code with respect to how the module queries the database?
2. What is the largest database I can expect to use efficiently? Currently the links table is at 2.1 mb. With w 2084 links and I am not using all fields. I have almost 300 categories as well
3. The main reason I selected Weblinks is that I need to be able to asset a single link to as many as 4-5 categories. Other modules I have seen do not allow this.
4. If there is another module that would have less overhead requirements on my server how would I migrate the db / data?

THIS IS A HUGE problem for me on a very large site I just launched. I have had to remove the Weblinks “Directory” which is a very important feature of this busy site until, and if, this can be resolved.

I would therefore appreciate some help with this issue as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks so much - Technobia
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

banned
Re: CPU Utilization 100% with Weblinks
  • 2006/10/23 1:16

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

Hi,
Maybe you can use the MySQL debug within XOOPS and do some explain to the queries of that module.
If there are queries that doesn't use an index MySQL can take 30seconds (and more) to respond, and - of course - cpu usage will increase.

banned,

Quest
  • 2006/10/23 1:43

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Probably a long shot, but have you looked in your php.ini file. You can increase execution time in there. Mine is bumped to 60. I read something about that in these forums somewhere.

HTH,
Quest

Quest
  • 2006/10/23 3:00

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

Maybe it's a session problem. I just happen to run accross this thread.
http://www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/md/news/article.php?storyid=66

technobia
  • 2006/10/23 4:26

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

Quest - Thanks I did increase the exe time in php.ini to 60 and I was able to load the form normally howerver the CPU still stuck at 100% for the entire load time.

As far as the thead link, I am not sure about that do you think that perhpas the CPU utilization is related to a time out? Has anyone used this hack for this issue? I am not sure what the "Heart Beat" method is and I am not sure what "But lengthen 'session.gc_maxlifetime' is danger because of "SESSION HI-JACKING" means

Any input on that?

Hey Banned, is the MySQL debug you metion diffrent that what I used to get the error in the original post?

Thanks -
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

banned
  • 2006/10/23 15:41

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Hey Banned, is the MySQL debug you metion diffrent that what I used to get the error in the original post?

Well,
in 2.0.15 there is a global debug, it includes php errors and MySQL queries (simply click on 'queries' on the bottom of the page).
Take the queries with the weblinks module prefix and go to your phpmyadmin and redo those queries with an 'explain' before the select (without quotes).

Now you can see if you're using table index correctly or not.

banned,

technobia
  • 2006/10/23 19:25

• technobia

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks but I am running 2.0.14 and that option is not available. I have had issues with 2.0.15 debug not working and have notgotten any input on that issue I posted a month ago.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=53634&forum=1&post_id=236897#forumpost236897
Thanks, Technobia
www.PrideDEPOT.com
Everybody Has A Right!

Quest
  • 2006/10/23 21:37

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

I discovered that if gZip was selected as Yes in the preferences/general settings and I try to use debug it bugs out. I turn it off before setting debug to run and it works.

Quest

banned
  • 2006/10/24 4:47

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

Well, huh
In general settings select MySQL & blocks debug instead of PHP debug, it will output a pop-up for every page with the queries done.

banned,

svaha
  • 2006/10/24 7:18

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:

Quest wrote:
I discovered that if gZip was selected as Yes in the preferences/general settings and I try to use debug it bugs out. I turn it off before setting debug to run and it works.

Quest

Thanks for this quest, I could not use debug because of this. Furthermore, now I turned of gzip, the module xstreamer works in all browsers.
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits