Twiztid
Community Portal Sites
  • 2006/10/17 22:00

• Twiztid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/21

Hey everyone,

I am wondering who here runs a community portal site?

I am looking to see some examples, get some new ideas and possibly make contact with other community portal owners to share ideas and help each other out.

If you have any "must have" modules for community portals, theme recommendations etc.. I'd love to hear them.

Post your URL and let's start a thread on Portal sites.

Thanks,
Jamie

evylrat
Re: Community Portal Sites
  • 2006/10/17 22:37

• evylrat

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/25

Me too, I always seen to pick the wrong modules. I'd like to see community portals with a car theme, as I run a VW community website. Whick gallery module to run? Which module for members cars? Blah blah, too confusing.
CheshAIR - Chester and surrounding areas air and water cooled VW club

jeffgr
  • 2006/10/18 0:17

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I runhttp://www.myottawa.ca . Still developing the site, and adding new features each day. I generally heavily customise the appearance and display of most modules, by changing the language and template files of each. If you look in the url bar you can see what modules I am using for each section. Alot of custom blocks as well. The theme is a modified version of the default theme, with some elements of other themes whose css styles I liked.

Jeff

RachelVirago

The "spec" for my site is much as above but due to my content most of the wrinkles are operational.

I.E. about 1% of my registrations are genuine, the rest being picture hunters (thats the polite interpretation).

It says all over the tin that it is not a sex site but dont expect these "one handed typists" to believe that!

I deal with these by useing the existing functions to run access to different "levels" of site by group, what this means in practical terms >Here<

Must have modules include, Xcgal and/or MyalbumP (the former members only, the later for public pictures), forum module (I use NewBB2), Small ads module, Smart FAQ

(SmartFAQ is particularly usefull as I used to get bombarded with silly questions but as soon as people realise that their questions go "public" in open questions they tend to ask more intelligent questions or shut up).

Plus Pical calendar, paypal donations module, and recently site map (this integrates well with the groups setup).

Also testing UserPage but waiting for further releases before this goes public.

Oh yes, and a couple of stats modules (many available).

Hope this helps, please do post any specific questions here.

P.S. your site concept is interesting, if I know human nature given that you are "in there" with search engines I would think you will get a lot of interest!
Being transgender is NOT a choice.

Ryder
  • 2006/10/23 10:12

• Ryder

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/10

I runhttp://www.yass.com.au its been a hard slog and I'm still looking for modules to make the site better.

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits