TopKnot
Use of Mac Computers and XOOPS
  • 2006/10/10 19:15

• TopKnot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

Hi:
I'm trying to convince my company to go with XOOPS for their website. I already have a test site up and running. Everyone at work uses Windows XP except the Boss. He uses a Mac/Apple computer. My question is...
1. Does using a Mac have any bad affects on the general overall usage of a XOOPS website?????
2. My biggest concern is with the use of one module. This module is "wf downloads". The boss NEEDS to submit documents and download documents. I have "wf downloads" working very well while in the Windows XP environment. (Great Module BTW) Does any one have any experience submitting and downloading files using the "wf downloads" module whist using a Mac/Apple?

frankblack
Re: Use of Mac Computers and XOOPS
  • 2006/10/10 20:16

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

For both 1. and 2.: No, but... if your Boss is insisting in using Internet Explorer you will be in trouble.

If he is using Safari and wants to do WYSIWYG-editing there will be some flaws and this is the only negative effect I know of concerning XOOPS and Mac.

Peekay
  • 2006/10/10 20:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The only real issue with XOOPS and Macs is WYSIWYG editors. Of the available XOOPS WYSIWYG options, AFAIK only 'Koivi' (a.k.a. xk-editor) works on the Mac and only in Firefox on OSX. So if your client wanted to compose articles with HTML coding online, they would need to use Firefox.

Other than that, you can administer, upload and download stuff using XOOPS on a Mac in IE, Safari or Firefox.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

TopKnot
  • 2006/10/11 8:03

• TopKnot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

Thanks "frankblack" and "Peekay" for your inputs. Guess I'll have to get the IT department of my employer to push the boss to use a mixture of browsers while we are on the road to a XOOPS website.

If anyone else has experience in Mac compatibility issue with XOOPS feel free to chime in. Information is power and any feedback I give to the boss/IT department would help push this project through the narrow pipe it already has.

wizanda
  • 2006/10/11 8:13

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Consider the Stablity of a MAC, Consider I have tangerine Ibook that I use to test and it likes XOOPS more or less, odd thing like needing Windows media for end user wound me up....

Yet consider that MAC can run as a MySQL Server off the main install disks....
Xoops is Excellent and considering that at present out of all the editors Koivi is easiest and the one I use...

Please don't scare people; plus the use of Cammino made by Mozilla fixes most browser problems and is much faster for MAC's...

MAC I feel should be looked at as power houses and not the numerous problems of the PC world's dis-organization.

Herko
  • 2006/10/11 11:42

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

As the proud owner of my second broken macbook, I can say that the stability of a mac is superior to a windows machine, if the hardware is fully functional. Don't use MSIE on a mac, it's no longer supported anyway (but don't b*tch the app, it was the very first decent mainstream browser, the first one to work with the webstandards). Use Firefox, is my advice...
XOOPS should work fine, aside from the aforementioned editor issue.

Herko

Peekay
  • 2006/10/11 12:31

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

If designing websites is your job I would recommend buying a second-hand Mac capable of running OSX so you can check your designs. Safari in particular has some quirks with CSS that can spoil a layout whether it is built to web standards or not.

You can be sure that one day your boss will proudly produce his Mac Powerbook in a meeting to show everyone your new website design. It had better look good!

BTW I agree with Herko about IE on the Mac. It was far superior to it's PC counterpart. Very fast and despite a few quirks with CSS most sites worked in it (all the ones I designed did). You can scale pixel-specified type at a button-press too. I was astonished when I found the PC version didn't do this (still doesn't AFAIK).
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 100

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits