medullaman
Re: Anyone with GoDaddy?
  • 2006/10/2 5:05

• medullaman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/13

Quote:

pipwax wrote:
I have godaddy with XOOPS installed on shared hosting. The biggest problem I have is that You can't manage your database (DB) Externally, and at times the site is slow from traffic. I have considered dedicated hosting but the site neds to make money first.

I used to think this also. However it is not exactly true. If you load your own version of PHPMyadmin and edit the config file to use the right database name, username and password it will give you access to the database. You can find the database name username and password in the mainfile.php located in the xoops/html directory.

HTH

shanehunt200

i went with godaddy and it was fine untill they did a server reset and it went abit wrong im now with www.premier-webs.co.uk and it is brilliant the fastest server i have been with try it www.misfitslive.com

Chris03
  • 2006/10/17 15:26

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

ill recommendhttp://www.exabytes.com super quick servers, havent had any downtime in 8 months. Check my site for reference,http://www.kickassamd.com
KickassAMD

dkile
  • 2006/10/20 21:28

• dkile

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/19

I have had GoDaddy Shared hosting with the packaged install of XOOPS for 18 months. 16 months were great. I couple of issues have come up recently that are making me want to switch from GoDaddy.

First you don't have any access to the SQL DB when you have it installed by GoDaddy. Big problem for me when my site fouled up and I couldn't get to the DB and make any changes.

So I then had to install a new SQL DB and install a brand new site. A very bad thing when I have had my site for ten years and have a 1,000 users and lose all those registrations! Stupid me for not backing up, but I could get to the DB!

My new site on XOOPS 2.0.15 had been going fine and now over the past six weeks has had significant performance issues. Support at GoDaddy blames XOOPS and the SQL DB, but I can't see it. My site access is five seconds at midnight and 45 seconds during the middle of the day. Hmmm sounds like an overloaded server to me!

They then say "it is shared site and you may want to upgrade." or "you db has too many processes and your scripts are not opertating correctly."

45 seconds to load any page is BS and I have watched my DB are there are no problems with the procceses. You get what you pay for. Cheap hosting probably gets to cheap hosting with anyone.

I am now trying to learn how to back-up my site and pay for a VPS that I can transfer to some more reliable performance.

dkile
  • 2006/10/26 20:38

• dkile

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/19

Quote:

dkile wrote:
I have had GoDaddy Shared hosting with the packaged install of XOOPS for 18 months. 16 months were great. I couple of issues have come up recently that are making me want to switch from GoDaddy.

First you don't have any access to the SQL DB when you have it installed by GoDaddy. Big problem for me when my site fouled up and I couldn't get to the DB and make any changes.

So I then had to install a new SQL DB and install a brand new site. A very bad thing when I have had my site for ten years and have a 1,000 users and lose all those registrations! Stupid me for not backing up, but I could get to the DB!

My new site on XOOPS 2.0.15 had been going fine and now over the past six weeks has had significant performance issues. Support at GoDaddy blames XOOPS and the SQL DB, but I can't see it. My site access is five seconds at midnight and 45 seconds during the middle of the day. Hmmm sounds like an overloaded server to me!

They then say "it is shared site and you may want to upgrade." or "you db has too many processes and your scripts are not opertating correctly."

45 seconds to load any page is BS and I have watched my DB are there are no problems with the procceses. You get what you pay for. Cheap hosting probably gets to cheap hosting with anyone.

I am now trying to learn how to back-up my site and pay for a VPS that I can transfer to some more reliable performance.

I quick update on my month request for a fix from Godaddy. I did speak again with support and they did look at the server and agree the time during the day was not good. They have done some adjustments and I am now getting 8-15 second load times during the day and 2-4 second times during non-business hours.

absolutnook
  • 2006/12/26 20:04

• absolutnook

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/20

Quote:

eventspeak wrote:
I have been using godaddy for about 2 years. i have had every type of hosting package they offer. I know have a dedicated server from them about 140$ but it came preconfigured and no real problems yet....

If you use there shared hosting and install XOOPS from cpanel (pre-installed software) BEWARE the database is not accesable from out side of the XOOPS site. need to run phpmyadmin XOOPS mod. (sounds crazy but true...)

If you install XOOPS on the shared account and create a database then no problem..

hope this helps with the decision.

I need help doing this, cause I tried to install it and was unsucessful cause you need to create your own database and what not.

Could someone please help me with this process.

iolai
  • 2007/1/9 6:20

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

I used to host at godaddy until a few days ago. Unfortunately, their support is horrible and the shared hosting plan sucks. Yes, it is cheap, but you can't do a lot of things:

1. You can't put files outside of your web accessible dir, meaning possible security problems (IE storing your passwords inside web accessible dir).
2. If you intend to host more than one site, you don't get separate dirs. IE, I used to host site1.com and site2.com, while site2.com was physically located in a subdir of site1.com. So, I could go tohttp://site2.com orhttp://site1.com/site2_dir/ and reach the same site. Security, anybody? Ease of use?
3. Their support use copy&paste technique without actually reading your email nor understanding your problem. I would not be surprised if their support team uses some sort of keyword search in emails and suggests the support what to reply.

So, if you are not planning on using their support, not to host other sites on the same hosting account, and you don't mind about security, go to godaddy. Otherwise, spend an extra 2 bucks a month and get a decent hosting plan at another hosting company.

I moved to dreamhost about a week ago, and meanwhile I am totally happy about it. I don't know how it will continue, but from what I see, dreamhost are much better than godaddy, although a bit more expensive.
- Eli Baskin.
Dune MUD
AtomsWorld.com

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits