rlankford
Re: Which PHP editors are best?
  • 2006/8/3 17:42

• rlankford

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/27

Well, this is kind of ironic. I was just coming out to ask this very questions, and I find this longish thread devoted to the same thing! My interest has been peaked by easy eclipses-php. So I downloaded all 124 megabytes worth and installed it.

I'm kind of stuck here. I know I'm a total newby, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am working on a custom module in xoops. I have xampp (apache, mysql, php, etc) installed locally (127.0.0.1) with a XOOPS install running my module. How can I set this up in easyeclipse so that I can step through this project and debug it line by line?

I've created a new project and pointed it to the actual module directory under htdocs. Easyeclipse then found all the files in this directory. I can click on any file and it'll bring it up in the editor. So far so good!

Then I switch to the "debug" perspective to try and debug my project. I quickly learned that I needed to configure a 'PHP DBG Script'. So I created a new one of those. I pointed the "File Tab"->"Project" field to the project that I just established. I then pointed the "File" field to my index.php in the module's root folder (beneath htdocs/xoops). I didn't touch the "Arguments" tab. I'm left confused by the "PHP Environment"->"Remote Debug" tab.

Can anyone please give me an idea of how they are setting up their module projects so that they can work on them?

wtravel

Quote:

frankblack wrote:
Thx from me too for this excellent tip! You seem to be a real insider so I guess you can solve this problem as well:

Eclipse freezes when opening files with about 1500 lines (or more) of code (I don't know where the limit is downwards). I already assigned 356 MB (should be enough?) to Eclipse

eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xmx356M

Does somebody know a workaround for this?

I just opened a file with 18701 lines in PHP Eclipse. It took a while for it to open (almost a minute) but it did :o.

birdseed
  • 2006/8/5 10:10

• birdseed

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/26

Hi

The Eclipse php extension is neither unable to provide Intellisense for the XOOPS classes, or I missed something.

In Zend Studio, all php Files included in a project are analyzed on startup and the Intellisense Database is built by this information. Moreover, global variables are analyzed by examining the include path (by opening a file which includes mainfile.php, $xoopsTpl, $xoopsUser and $xoopsDB are provided by intellisense). Not so in eclipsephp...

The DBG Debugger doesn't work for php 5.1.4.

First impression: Given eclipsephp a chance, but it couldn't stand against zend studio.

greetings
birdseedmusic

McNaz
  • 2006/8/5 14:23

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
The Eclipse php extension is neither unable to provide Intellisense for the XOOPS classes, or I missed something.

These work for me perfectly. It parses all methods/properties (with phpdoc parsing) and offers parameters etc. You must be missing something.

[qoute]First impression: Given eclipsephp a chance, but it couldn't stand against zend studio.[/quote]

Tried Zend Studio and uninstalled it in five minutes. It was much slower and the code navigation came nowhere near the flexibility/speed of PHPEclipse + Eclipse.

To each their own I suppose.

hervet
  • 2006/8/5 14:44

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello,

Quote:

birdseed wrote:

First, it seems to me that Intellisense is a Microsoft technology

Secondly, in Zend Studio, the autocompletion "form" is visible as soon as you type the text while in PhpEclipse, it requires to call it (Ctrl + Space)

Bye,
Hervé

Swain
  • 2006/8/5 14:46

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I have been trying PHP Designer. Now granted I only dabble in PHP, but it seems to be pretty solid. I like the interface anyway. And it is free, which is perhaps the best thing of all.

rlankford
  • 2007/3/23 16:41

• rlankford

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/27

Yeah, I'm really really slow. But I finally just got around to taking a look at ZendStudio. It seems to work just fine so I've purchased a copy. So, for the first time in my couple of years with Xoops, I'm now literally able to use something other than notepad + echo for editing/debugging. I've also been boning up on my XOOPS api/php knowledge lately ... so watch out world!

frozzy
  • 2007/10/16 11:25

• frozzy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/10/16

For me Codelobster php edition is very good editor. All basic features:
syntax highlighting; outocomplete, step by step debugger, help on php, html, mysql; jump to funtion's or class's declaration in the project.
Found here:
http://www.codelobster.com

It's free. Additional plus is a small size - 5 mb

riceking
  • 2007/10/16 12:00

• riceking

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/9/21

Delphi for php, which is a new product of CodeGear.I have used it to design my site.

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits