whooven
Module directory name changing - mod_rewrite variable
  • 2006/8/3 16:18

• whooven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/17

I would love to have the ability to change the directory name that shows for the modules I have installed. I don't know if this is a core issue or module-specific but it would be nice to have flexibility in what the module is called.

For example:

instead of www.domain.com/modules/xcgal

I'd like to use www.domain.com/modules/gallery

I have several reasons and one of them is for search engine optimization. "xcgal" doesn't describe what the feature is unless you know Xoops.

To take it one step further, I'd love the ability to use mod_rewrite to eliminate the "/module" part. It would be so much cleaner:

www.domain.com/gallery
"I'm going to see if this internet thing takes off" - someone told me this when I suggested he needed a website.

jensclas
Re: Module directory name changing - mod_rewrite variable

try a search on short URL's...lots have sought a similar feature...you might find what you need there.

whooven
  • 2006/8/15 13:55

• whooven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/17

Thanks for the reply, jensclas. It looks like Simplified URLs Hack might be the most modern hack that kinda sorta works. It doesn't seem to work with all modules but at least you can exclude those to avoid errors. I'll have to play with that.

In the meantime, it should be awesome if someone came up with a module for modern XOOPS versions that offered this feature. I don't mind hacking some but I have to remember to make notes before the next code upgrade overwrites my hacks. Messy, but I'm grateful to those who did the research to come up with a temporary solution.

Here's a forum post referencing the "Simplified URLs Hack":
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=30205&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

Note: It seems like an old thread but remember there are multiple pages (8 as of today).
"I'm going to see if this internet thing takes off" - someone told me this when I suggested he needed a website.

msdana
  • 2006/8/15 14:05

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Not sure if this will help you, but have you read this FAQ on renaming modules?

[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits