Tabasco
Banning
  • 2006/6/18 20:52

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/26

Is there a way to ban a certain countries from one websites? other than entering the hundreds of IP's allocated to a certain country?

...Or is it possible to restrict my website to certain countries like, Canada, France, UK etc...

The reason I am asking this, is becuase there are a couple of groups from certain countries that are taking down 100's of websites a day, and I could really care less if someone on the otherside world on Kocamo Island can view my website.

jdseymour
Re: Banning

I doubt very much it would be possible. But eventually you will have to ban all countries because there is bad, mixed with the good, everywhere. Part of a webmasters job is keeping up with security, staying up to date with patches and so on.

Tabasco
  • 2006/6/18 23:46

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
I doubt very much it would be possible. But eventually you will have to ban all countries because there is bad, mixed with the good, everywhere. Part of a webmasters job is keeping up with security, staying up to date with patches and so on.

I realize that there are always going to be a few bad mixed in with good everywhere. The fact remains, that there are certain areas in the world that are currently hot spots, that are responsible for taking down 100's of websites a day. Even Microsoft has been hacked/defaced. Just take a look athttp://www.zone-h.org/ If this trend continues, I can see ISP's cutting off these hot spots, and turning that areas internet into an intranet

I realize that it's a webmasters job to keep on top of patches. All it takes is one small hole in one module, to take your whole site down. Even if your front end is tight, you can always be rearended if your host is exploited.

It would seem to me, a smart webmaster would lessen the risk of his site being exploited, by cutting off the hot zones.

Cuidiu
  • 2006/6/19 0:04

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Hi Tabasco,
You could try something like this in your .htaccess file (presuming your server uses Apache and you are familiar with editing this file):
[size=x-small]
order allow,deny
deny from .ac
deny from .ae
deny from .be
deny from .cn
deny from .ch
deny from .cl
deny from .fr
deny from .id
deny from .jp
deny from .kr
deny from .md
deny from .my
deny from .nl
deny from .ng
deny from .ph
deny from .pk
deny from .ps
deny from .qa
deny from .ru
deny from .sa
deny from .tr
deny from .ua
deny from .zw
allow from all
[/size]
It's worth a try...

Cuidiu
Quote:
Tabasco wrote:
Is there a way to ban a certain countries from one websites? other than entering the hundreds of IP's allocated to a certain country?
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Tabasco
  • 2006/6/19 0:21

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

Cuidiu,

I'll give it a try and add it to my .htaccess file. I hope it works. It would be an easy way to cut off a hot zone.

Cuidiu
  • 2006/6/19 1:34

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

You could also look up countries here. I don't like the idea of cutting off entire countries but I completely understand why some people would want to. I use a bot trap myself and catch quite a few bots that way but unfortunately it does nothing to prevent hackers from causing problems if they are determined.

Good luck.
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits