Jharis
Re: Help Me Decide Xoops or Joomla
  • 2006/6/16 0:14

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Wendell,

Just tell me you haven't taken up taco bell to get your fix!

The world would be a better place with a little more green chile.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Xman04
  • 2006/6/16 1:09

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Hi,

I will put my two cents in here. Honestly, I've not seen another open source CMS that comes close to the quality of XOOPS in terms of flexibility, user interface, intuitive administration, module selection, documentation, and community support.

Of course there is lots that can be improved and refined (as with any product), but I think that XOOPS is a very mature and dependable system when compared with other open source CMS systems. Also, I believe that the developers have done an incredible job bringing XOOPS to its current state of maturity and dependability, especially considering the relatively short length of time that XOOPS has been around.

In my opinion, XOOPS is going to be around a long time and it will eventually be recognized as the top open source CMS system in the industry. Once XOOPS gets further along on its roadmap, it will probably be a huge evolutionary step, just as Windows 95 was in comparison to Windows 3.1.

I also agree that providing positive feedback in these forums is very important. It not only generates enthusiasm for the developers who work so hard on this system, but it also attracts many organizations to take a chance on XOOPS. It may also result in more developers and others contributing to the project, which will accelerate its evolution. I would be willing to help out in some way. That is how much I love this system and want to see a long successful future for it!

Dave

Lance_
  • 2006/6/16 1:52

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

I think everyone should use Joomla and leave my XOOPS alonneee!!!!!!!!!
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

DobePhat
  • 2006/6/16 5:00

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

XmanQuote:
I've not seen another open source CMS that comes close to the quality of XOOPS in terms of flexibility, user interface, intuitive administration, module selection, documentation, and community support

Well put.

Having used XOOPS for the past 3.5 years..I agree.
It's sad that it forks so often but that often happens I guess, (in fact I was wondering where the likes of ono and catz and others had gone, but our best to them they have contributed immensly). And I hope there are never ill feeling in that regard.

Now With regard to joomla....

It looks nice doesn't it? I was tempted for a bit..briefly.. But when you get down to it..it's pretty wimpy compared to XOOPS IMO. We can use a better theme to show of this XOOPS site..sure...but we dont come here for pitch we come for info and exchange of ideas right?. Alot of new CMS these days have really slick looking site fronts...but wheres the meat? (if you want to know how flexible the look and feel of XOOPS truly can be..just visit any of of the scores of theme devlopers here)

Now don't get me wrong I think it's great these other cms exist. Everything pushes everything to be better...thats how the web has gotten where it is today!

but
Xoops can be as simple (used as a blog) or as complex (a community, news etc) as you want. our biggest fault if anything is that we tend to want to add too much, and (as we are learning at our site ,tend to overwhelm).
LOL

Now one thing I will give mambo and joomla;credit for is their effort to make more accessible, web standards system.
We gotta really work on this into the core..

However, XOOPS is still moving forward in that front and with XOOPS factory and others at least starting with the themes, highlighting this, there is more to come.

In fact our small team (of moderators at our humble XOOPS powered site) is inspired too and working on our first css based theme...with more accesible features(itll be a bit but we'll get there, we'll let all know when ever we finish,) And Soon I know everyone will be making these kind of themes too! (And then we can focus on the core templates..and moe)
---
So keep the faith. Make sure you really develop/utilize/maximize the most basic modules first, You'll find them powerful. There are so many simple things to transform and utilize some of them. Then..if you get a little tired of one.. theres scores and scores more to uncover.

Just face it..
Xoops KIX!
-cheers

wgragg
  • 2006/6/16 19:59

• wgragg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/9 2

Well, I think I have decided to take the plunge, mostly based on the maturity of the product and the eagerness all of you seem to have to help!

One other question. Does anyone here use Godaddy for their web hosting? I have an account with them, but have heard that their directory structure is a bit unusual. I don't know if that would get in the way or I am just being paranoid. I can certainly get a refund from them and go somewhere else if it is better. They just gave me a real good deal when I renewed my domain name.

Thanks,
Wendell

tom
  • 2006/6/17 1:05

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
it will probably be a huge evolutionary step, just as Windows 95 was in comparison to Windows 3.1.

Personal opinion on that one

Quote:
I also agree that providing positive feedback in these forums is very important.

Sorry to play devils advocate here, but have to disagree on that, positive feed back is good and all, it shows the area's which are good, but then negative feed back shows areas for developers to improve upon, thus taking the cms and step further.

Now if you change feedback to positive encouragement then I would agree.

wgragg,

Sorry I've not used this host, so not sure what their like.

I prefer http://www.oneandone.co.uk and have used them for about 3 years no with no problems at all, of course I have a dedicated server with them and about 40 domain names.

I also host my own server separate to run a chat server on, with my own custom chat clients for my members to use on various sites I run
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Lostboy
  • 2006/7/3 19:33

• Lostboy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/4/6 6

Quote:

wgragg wrote:
Well, I think I have decided to take the plunge, mostly based on the maturity of the product and the eagerness all of you seem to have to help!

One other question. Does anyone here use Godaddy for their web hosting? I have an account with them, but have heard that their directory structure is a bit unusual. I don't know if that would get in the way or I am just being paranoid. I can certainly get a refund from them and go somewhere else if it is better. They just gave me a real good deal when I renewed my domain name.

Thanks,
Wendell

I use GoDaddy....I've had absolutely no issue with using them....they include an automatic installer for XOOPS which I use for my testing grounds.....I loaded my live XOOPS site in another directory with no hitches.....I've also had the opportunity to play with other CMS programs that they provided....SMF, Geeklog, phpNuke, Mambo, and Joomla....Xoops is still the easiest to deal with

So far my only issue with the XOOPS program is finding a good file uploader so that musicians can easily pop their music up onto my site straight from their own computers.

seolio
  • 2006/7/10 17:27

• seolio

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/2

If I were to choose again it would still be Xoops, the reason being is that I can understand how to theme with XOOPS and the support is excellent. If you post a problem on Joomla/Mambo you could be waiting weeks/months for a reply, seriously everything I have posted I have waited a long time, some haven't even been answered. I get Xoops, it is an overall better design, is bigger and easier to use than Joomla/Mambo

STICK WITH XOOPS!!!!!!

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits