Catillion
Photography
  • 2006/6/1 20:43

• Catillion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 2

I am a professional photographer who is trying out XOOPS for the first time. I have successfully installed Apache as local host and all is working. Now, I want to start setting up a site on my machine to test its adequacy for photos before I upload to my server. That leads to the question of which photo album that is available would be proper for a professional photo site in which my photographs will be properly displayed.

Now, I am new to this entire web master and XOOPS process and that is why I am asking questions that may appear to be to broad, such as the question concerning photo albums. I know a little CSS and am somewhat adequate with xhtml. I know next to nothing about php or mysql. Therefore, I merely need a bit of assistance, reference or guidance in figuring out XOOPS and this question concerning the photo album modules that may be available. I would be extremely grateful for a push in the right direction from some of you more expert users. Hey, thanks for taking the time to read and I hope that you can help me out.

jensclas
Re: Photography

Welcome to xoops!

I new nothing and probably still know next to nothing about php and my sql...you don;t need to know until you want to play in an element of XOOPS like miduoe building...plenty of others here do play and they share what they do with us...so let's get you off to a good start as someone who was like me...game but not savvy!

Time for some research for you:
1. XOOPS docs - click the link on the left and grab the official support docs, look at the 'glossary' in the workspace too.
2. FAQ - particularly the modules section - somewhere in there is an FAQ on choosing modules and a section on installing on your home computer first. - This is covered also in the installation manual on XOOPS documentation site.
3. be aware of the different strands of XOOPS - the 2.0.13 is stable and possibly most suited to you. As a new user I would NOT dip into 2.0.14 just yet till you get to see how it all works - this latest one is still being tested by people who are confident and it has some of the 2.2 version features and none of our official documentation will reflect this yet. So we are all pretty new to it.
4. Check out the other resources in the find help docs here link in my sig below - great tutorials and other supprt materials there that are not yet linked up in the docs site.
5. If you have something you don;t undrstand or a problem please use these forums to get help when you have exhausted existing resources and the search button - we are happy to help

snow77
  • 2006/6/1 21:07

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Xcgal handles pics nicely, you can test that module out.

And if your going to install XOOPS I'd recommend 2.0.14, although it's not the latest stable release, it's working pretty good for me.

Catillion
  • 2006/6/2 1:25

• Catillion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/1 2

Thanks Snow and Jensclas
I have been playing around with the admin and did clone one theme and have deleted all but the news modules on the site. I also changed the site name from xoop to the name for my new website. Now what I would like to do is to load a new theme in as uncomplicated way as I can. I am looking for a theme that is less about data and business more about photo images. Not the typical css white pages, that are becoming so prevalent, but, something in a darker color, blue or black for instance, that would nicely contrast a JPG of a photo(s)that I have taken. If you have seen anything like this, preferably free to start, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks Again for the time to answer a newbie.

Quest
  • 2006/6/2 3:03

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Here are a couple of links I got from a search. These are great places to preview themes in a production site type mode as opposed to just screenshots. You may find the one you can use on one of these sites. Just use there theme changer block to preview the themes.

http://demo.2bcool.net/
Also
https://xoops.org.es/decorados/modules/news/

Here's another place that opened up earlier this month. I missed it!

http://themes.xoopsgroups.com/

Quest

snow77
  • 2006/6/2 4:33

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

the Themes Library, the link up on the left has lots of themes, or you can take a look at xoopsdesign.com

McNaz
  • 2006/6/2 7:19

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Snow77. Incredible looking themes on xoopsdesign.com. Expect me to sign up sometime today .

Slightly on track on this topic, I am planning to do a photography related module in the coming months called xLightbox that will enable photographers to display, categorise, keyword and sell photos online.

I'll keep this thread updated on any progress.

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits