Mestophales
Re:Is XOOPS used for business applications?

I have to admit - I have been an ASP programmer for years, never delving into the PHP thing - I felt it was the kid's way to go. I have just started using XOOPS for a major retailers intranet, I am a changed man at the ease of installation and maintenance. I now am striving to get my hands around PHP so that I can write modules for XOOPS.

XOOPS works really well for this situation. There is an add on module that was built DMS (Document Repository)

http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1149

This is great for document management and policy/procedure documents.

I have had soem bumps, I am in the process of bypassing the built in login to read usernames from the NT login so they don't have to bother with loggin in. I currently have it validating via NT Username whether the person is with our department if not it defaults them to the register page and so far is working well.

Anyway - XOOPS is an answer to business intranet solutions

intel352
Re:Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2004/11/24 1:34

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

mest, if you implement any type of login authentication support for systems such as NT Logon, i know XOOPS core devs would be interested in seeing your modifications

i believe a goal is to support multiple authentication systems, so every bit helps.

kwerle
Re: Is XOOPS used for business applications?
  • 2004/12/9 2:56

• kwerle

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/25

Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
you can sell a service(installation, customization, etc) not the cms itself .. so yes.

That is absolutely false.

XOOPS is GPL software. The GPL does not stipulate any pricing for software - it stipulates rights of use for the software. Specifically, it stipulates that the person receiving the software must also be given source code (though it includes the note that the vendor can charge reasonable media costs to do so) and they are free to redistribute it as they see fit (as long as they, too, abide by the license).

This is a fine line, but one worth drawing. I worked for a company that sold a modified gcc (GPL'd compiler). I think we sold 4 copies to clients that really wanted them. Of course they could have given it away after that (with source!), but that's not how it worked out.

richbrown
  • 2004/12/22 5:12

• richbrown

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/20

Hi

Well I have to say that I made my first bucks using Xoops. The guy paid me a whole load of dosh. It sounded a lot and then he told me what he had already paid someone else. This someone else gave him a static site with three pages, no ability to edit other than to ring them and they mostly couldn't be bothered.

I demonstrated XOOPS explained where it came from and about MySQL and Php and he agreed that what he was buying was my ability to understand this. I even told him that he could learn and then get a site up for almost nothing. But he said he wanted to pay me to do it!

Thanks XOOPS - donation coming your way!

Rich

Merry Christmas to all.

fireslayer
  • 2005/3/10 22:52

• fireslayer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/10

Rich,

Congrats on making the money off of the site. I have a software training company here in New Orleans and my business partner turned me on to Xoops. He has been using XOOPS to make sites for a while now and doing very well.

Good luck and I hope you get many more clients like the one you wrote about.

Marshall

Vahrokh
  • 2005/5/31 10:52

• Vahrokh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/17

We are developing a lot of business WEB sites based on XOOPS and customizations for it (sorry I cannot disclose the URLS of our customers). Intranets too, since XOOPS is good for publishing internal documentation and for hosting custom modules to manage employees and other administrative tasks.

We work now with Public Administration too. They wanted a fully XHTML and accessibility compliant XOOPS release, so we built it for all the most important modules (i.e. wf-section, newbb, Wysiwyg editor and other important modules). WF-Section and Newbb proved to be very long to fix (and we had to make newbb like 10 times faster to meet the specifications) but the end result is outstanding and really professional (eh eh sorry if I seem too proud of it... because I am ).

So go for professional XOOPS sites, you won't be disappointed.

giba
  • 2005/5/31 11:58

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

I use modules constructor for business in my intranet and outhers customers

For example: module (Credit cart and controler of Cheques/tickets)

Resized Image

Generator with code kernel comuns by Giba, Claudia and Topet05 (All in Brazilian)

XPlazateam
  • 2005/6/27 15:15

• XPlazateam

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/5/14

Hi, we develop intranet/extranet solutions for medium italian customers and the results are very professional, we presented some case history at the italian Linux World Expo,Here's the link to download our presentation, sorry...it's in italian!

I think XOOPS is really a great solution for custom modules developed for internal purpose (not only document management, but also Human resource management, timesheet, calendar, supply chain modules, etc...).

Now we're working with Pubblic Administration too, with accessibility problems (w3C), and here you can see the web site of an italian city, W3C complient, based on Xoops.

Where is our business? Not selling code ore software, of course, but selling our know how, and our "work" for publishing, for personalization, for developing new modules.

Good luck to all XOOPS developers and thanks for your great job, we will make other donation everytime we make business.....with Xoops!

XPlazateam

beach_defend

That's a very interesting comment, do mean that I should be able to migrate PHP-Nuke apps relatively easily?

rabideau
  • 2006/5/2 13:45

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I just saw this thread and thought I'd contribute the following item here.

I have created a XOOPS site (http://processteam.org) the purpose of this site is to Showcase XOOPS in a professional Engineering environment. So from my perspective, YES, XOOPS works for business!

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

If you visit please sign our Guest Map or better yet, register!
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits