pmhoran
Making site "Ipod ready" ...????
  • 2006/3/29 12:10

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

Using XOOPS 2.0.13.2

I have never held one of these new fangled mini hand held computers ... let alone used one. But on my sites stats ... it appears there is a small but growing percentage of visitors that do so using an Ipod or similar.

Is there anything I need to do ... or should be doing ... to make my site more accessible or more easily viewable by these "hand held computers"???

I do not have a "daily updated page" of news or anything ... and do not receive or send any RSS feed stuff.

And obviously I do not really know what I am talking about

Thanks for the input ...
Peter

Herko
Re: Making site "Ipod ready" ...????
  • 2006/3/29 12:54

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I hope you mean iPAQ, which is a PDA, where the iPod is an MP3 player.

XOOPS has a built-in PDA version, just check out this link:https://xoops.org/pda.php

Herko

pmhoran
  • 2006/3/29 13:43

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

Hmmmm ... OK Told you I didn't know what I was talking about hahahaha

So ... how would I set up my site to use the "pda.php"??? When I added the pda.php extension I get "An error occurred".

Thanks
Peter

PS ... Just gave the link a closer inspection. Everything seems to display from the News module ... which I do not use. My pages are as "relevant" now as they were when I posted them. There is no News items that I need to post ... but ... want people with PDA's that visit to be able to surf through the entire site to find the info they are looking for. Is that even possible???

MadFish
  • 2006/3/29 15:31

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

You don't need to do anything. Recent PDAs (well, pocket pcs using 2003 and above anyway) have a pretty good browser that can reformat webpages for display on a small screen. Pages (can be) 'sliced' into columns so you can see the whole site by scrolling up and down. There's a few different viewing options.

However, there *is* a PDA-friendly theme available if you want it (don't ask me what its called, have a search). The same guy also made a 'phone friendly' module.

The simplest way to make a page PDA-friendly though is to make it single column only, and don't use wide pictures or fixed-width objects (particularly in your horizontal menus).

Making things display nicely on a mobile phone is a far more difficult issue (but hey, only maniacs look at the web on their phone).

pmhoran
  • 2006/3/30 13:11

• pmhoran

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you Madfish ... your response is an education for me. I learned a lot from your post

I guess maybe I had best "con someone" into letting me use their PDA for short while ... just so I can view each of my sites myself to see how they are displaying. First I will have to find who I know that knows someone that has one that I can borrow

My biggest problem ... at least with my personal site is ... most visitors have old machines, old OS versions and old browser versions. So I am somewhat limited in how I can modify things.

Thanks again
Peter

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/2 22:50

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/15

Well I was searching about something that connects XOOPS to ipod and i've found this topic, lets see if i can understand it... weel the pda.php file is a file that show last news posted on my site on PDA right? this have something to do with RSS? How can I add more things to pda.php keeping the page PDA compatible?
I've seen some sites that have a ipod feature, that is something like this but then when we click on the link it opens a "itunes plugin" on the site playing a music or a radio record or something like that...is there anything like this for XOOPS 2.0.13.2?
Hope you guys can give me more knowledge on this area
Thanks in advance!

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/3 20:24

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/15

anyone?

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits