jensclas
Backup site? Tips on how would be good!

Hi guys
I have done some searching and haven't found a tutorial or post aimed at newbies like me with tips on this very important piece of advice:
Quote:
Backup first!

I have done some searching and found that backup could refer to public.html and/or databse or both?

With respect to html I have discovered that a thing s to do is take a copy of all the public.html files via ftp. Great - but that is taking me hours as my program (Aceftp) is bailing out on connection with the server very regularly and I have to restart it to get reconnected - so now the process is down to one folder at a time - there has to be a better way???

With respect to Database - I have found this link here
and also this module xoops_mod_backup_3_0 here.

Now which might be the best to use - or can i just use my CPanel functions since my host has this?

So come on guys with your best practice advice! What do you do when you do a site backup? What works for you? What do you think would work best for newbies?

gestroud
Re: Backup site? Tips on how would be good!
  • 2006/2/3 22:22

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Backup everything.

FTP can take forever, but it's probably the best way to go. Just make sure that your FTP program is set to overwrite files if they are new or changed only - otherwise, you'll be waiting forever. You might also want to try a different FTP program, like FileZilla or SmartFTP. You can also transfer files through Windows' "My Network Places," but it conks out a lot on me.

Best way to back up your database? CPanel is good, but I prefer to use XOOPS' phpmyadmin module to download it as a tar file. Since I'm already on the site, it's a little quicker to access.

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=17&lid=1211

jensclas
Re: Backup site? Tips on how would be good!

Quote:

gestroud wrote:
Backup everything.

Best way to back up your database? CPanel is good, but I prefer to use XOOPS' phpmyadmin module to download it as a tar file. Since I'm already on the site, it's a little quicker to access.

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=17&lid=1211

Thanks for the link - this is a good start - pity whoever put the file up posted no information on it and the 2097 download users haven't comment on it or reviewed it...as a newbie this kind of info is essential!

Login

Who's Online

493 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 493

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits