• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Recently the following modules have been added to the Module Repository:
- SahraSpeedTest
- WebFTP
- SahraZD
- SahraWhois

When you open the archive files the only file that's related to XOOPS is the xoops_version.php file.
None of the other files in these archives contain any piece of XOOPS code.
These so called modules are just renamed PHP scripts with xoops_version.php added to them so XOOPS will recognise them as a module and add them to the Main Menu.

The worst thing is that these 'modules' come from an official XOOPS support site (Xoopsum.Com / XOOPS Turkey).

Personally I think that these modules are not XOOPS modules and should be removed from the Module Repository.

So, what are the criteria for a PHP-script so it can be called a XOOPS module?

Dave_L
Re: What makes a PHP-script a Xoops module?
  • 2006/2/2 21:56

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I don't recall that question coming up in the two years I've been involved with XOOPS.

I suggest that you draft a set of criteria, and then ask for opinions on it.

mixxorz
  • 2006/2/2 22:04

• mixxorz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/10

I think they should stay, at least for now. We have plenty of choice for our forum modules, but an FTP module is quite original, and that's a big plus. I agree with you that there should be more xoops-coding in it, but here are new functions to add to xoops. I don't need 10 different news modules.
The mean streets of uhw.

gestroud
  • 2006/2/3 3:31

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

I can understand McDonald's position. They're more like plug-ins or extensions than modules. But, with the number of great hacks and fixes available, maybe the modules section should be extended to include hacks and plug-ins - or create a separate section for them, maybe. It would make things a little easier to find.

Jharis
  • 2006/2/3 4:56

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Quote:
include hacks and plug-ins

Sounds like a good idea if you ask me.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

davidl2
  • 2006/2/3 9:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In theory it does give the possibility for someone to take these up and build more Xoops-specific features into them.

bluenova

When the new repository is implemented, there will be an icon to show whether the module has passed the quality assurance tests.

McDonald
  • 2006/2/5 12:03

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

Instead of adding these scripts to the Module Repository it should be more useful to have a forum section where people can post links to these php-scripts and inform XOOPS users why this script is so good (or not). In this section people can discuss how to implement these scripts into XOOPS or transform them into a real module. This way we'll get some kind of a pre-Xoops-Module-Development section.

Adding a sub-directory for fake modules or php-scripts is a little useless. For this there are PHP sites containing many scripts to choose from.

byu_xj
  • 2006/2/7 12:25

• byu_xj

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/11

I agree that these might simply be modules in training, but a new user like me could hardly tell the difference at first. To get the appropriate visibliity I think that these should be included in the modules repository but they should not be given the same status as a real module.

Purhaps a scipts section of the modules repository.

This way I could see clearly that they are available when I am looking in the repository for a solution, but I would also see that they are not actual modules.

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits