(hint hint)

danMAN
Re: Mx-directory - input welcome
  • 2006/1/15 14:24

• danMAN

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

Hi all,

Yes, I have been waiting too, but I do appreciate that developers are busy people, I am just thankful for this community and what it has to offer.

However, because I want a directory, I have not been idle, though I know zilch nothing about php. So I hired someone to work on mx-directory to do stuff that I wanted it to do. Work is still very much in progress, but you can view the modified version here

If anyone wants to collaborate with me to finish it off, please let me know - I don't want to make money out of it, but I have spent quite a bit on it and so I want some control over the direction in which is to be developed from where the version I have is now. Of course, the directory will be released to the community in due course on the condition that the users donate something to Xoops.

So let me know,
Cheers

danMAN
  • 2006/1/15 14:30

• danMAN

• Just popping in

Forgot to mention some features:
- gallery
- thumbnails
- upload documents
- new listing page
- captcha security on submit php and email forms
- listing id appears on each listing
- pop-up to ask for invoicing address
- limit number of images and docs to be uploaded by member from backend - also limit size and type of file

There is of course some more work to be done on it :)

Also, the test site is still quite rough - you need to sign on as a member and submit listings. To upgrade from free listing you need to wait after submission for me to approve your listing.

Have fun :)

Fraggo
  • 2006/1/15 18:32

• Fraggo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/21

I have been working on the script myself, and have had a lot of success in tweaking it and making it be the way I want. My site is set to go live soon. However, there is one bug in the sponsored listings - example: if one category has a sponsored listing and that category has 5 pages of listings, the sponsored listing only displays on the page it shows up on (in my case, the 5th page). I'd like it to show on any of the pages in that category. Did you come across this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

danMAN
  • 2006/1/15 21:58

• danMAN

• Just popping in

Interesting - to tell you the truth, I didn't get that far. I suspect that that is the case with my setup as well, I need to see it in action when I have more than one category on my test site. However, I don't see this as a bug, just a particular need. As it stands, each category page will have the premium listings up the top (in my case, listed in alpahbetical order)- which is all I want. I think it's not much of a problem, though I am not a php coder, I would say it's a simple if / else line or two of coding ... I am sure someone more skillful would be able to tell you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

tzvook
  • 2006/1/16 10:19

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

danMAN wrote:
Forgot to mention some features:
- gallery
- thumbnails
- upload documents
- new listing page
- captcha security on submit php and email forms
- listing id appears on each listing
- pop-up to ask for invoicing address
- limit number of images and docs to be uploaded by member from backend - also limit size and type of file

Looks promising, was it checked under "XOOPS 2.3" alpha ? or are there problems under 2.2.x ?
is the alphabetic order a new one or our solution that support also Hebrew Charset and so....

did you used all those bugs fixes and solution @ the forum in your version ?

danMAN
  • 2006/1/16 14:04

• danMAN

• Just popping in

tzvook wrote:
Quote:

Looks promising, was it checked under "XOOPS 2.3" alpha ? or are there problems under 2.2.x ?
is the alphabetic order a new one or our solution that support also Hebrew Charset and so....

did you used all those bugs fixes and solution @ the forum in your version ?

Which forum might that be, please?

Sorry, but it hasn't yet been tested on the latest version of xoops. Nor am I worried at this point about hebrew characters (or greek, german, rusky, etc). There seems to be no problems with it under 2.2 - you can check it for yourself, though keep in mind that the test site is not pretty :)

I am simply not experienced or knowledgeable enough to do any of the coding myself, so I paid someone to do it for me. It seems that this person has run out of steam, and is not completing the work. I am simply asking whether people want to lend a hand to finish it and so get a reasonably good and flexible biz directory out there. The end result may not suit everyone, but I think it will be an improvement over what we have at the moment until some of the established XOOPS coders can get around to upgrade the present version?

Cheers

tzvook
  • 2006/1/16 19:35

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

danMAN wrote:
Which forum might that be, please?

Take a look @ those ....

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32178&forum=28&post_id=166198#forumpost166198

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35018&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35024&forum=4&post_id=155166#forumpost155166

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34027&forum=30&post_id=151985#forumpost151985

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32229&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0

TZ

danMAN
  • 2006/1/16 21:58

• danMAN

• Just popping in

Thanks Tz. Yes, I remember looking at them a while back. I even posted some querries back then, on this forum. Some of those issues I think were fixed by the programer working on my version. I simply want the functionalities first, there will be some more bugs for sure, but first things first. What I want is inspired first by folsomliving (the guy does not want to share unfortunately, though I see he used this community to get some help a while back). Secondly, I like many things offered by phpmydirectory.com. Though I am not a programer, I do know what will make a good biz directory. Hope that helps clarify where I am coming from. Thanks again for your help.

Mamba
  • 2006/1/16 22:08

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

danMAN wrote:
What I want is inspired first by folsomliving (the guy does not want to share unfortunately, though I see he used this community to get some help a while back).

It's not that way you think. He is the author of the xdirectory, so actually you're using his code that he donated to the community. If he decided to move into a different direction with the code, we need to respect it. It's up to us to improve on his original code. I absolutely appreciate your efforts and your willingness to move with the code to the next level.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 100

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits