Graviton
google adsense
  • 2006/1/4 9:11

• Graviton

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/10

Hi,

Is there a module that takes care of googles adsense instead of having to program it into a block yourself?

Thx

MadFish
Re: google adsense
  • 2006/1/4 11:35

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

There really isn't a need for a module to do this - all you need to do is take the code for your Google ad (which google will automatically generate for you, based on the size and colour scheme that you select), create a custom html block in XOOPS, paste it in and then pick where/which pages you want the block to display on. No programming required.

There are a couple of ad management modules around if you want to play though - I think one was called phpads new or something like that. Check the module repository.

Graviton
  • 2006/1/4 12:27

• Graviton

• Just popping in

thx I'll do that

dickinsd
  • 2006/1/4 13:31

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

IT HQ Have a nice little article which gives a little more info about adding google adsense code to modules, they only really go into how to do with the AMS modules, but it might help you get an idea of what to look for in other modules.

You can find that article HERE

Dave

bb2120
  • 2006/1/4 14:58

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

Sorry, am I missing something? why can't you use XOOPS built in banner support for google ads - that's what I do!

Graviton
  • 2006/1/4 15:01

• Graviton

• Just popping in

Hey,

I can't even get my bannersystem working, never shows anything. dunno what is absolutely necessary and what not and syntax etc etc sorry :)

Filip

dickinsd
  • 2006/1/4 15:19

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

@Graviton, I think when I looked at the theme.html file for the theme you use on your site it does not include a call for the XOOPS banner code.

You need to add this code to the page (where you would like your banners to show e.g. under the TIMEBROKERS title, or perhaps at the bottom of the page - your choice really) <{$xoops_banner}>

Dave

dickinsd
  • 2006/1/4 15:33

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

Quote:

bb2120 wrote:
Sorry, am I missing something? why can't you use XOOPS built in banner support for google ads - that's what I do!

Yup, this method works fine, however there are more options available.

For example you can use sideblocks to display the long tower adds that you can choose from google, you can also add the code to the modules so that adds appear inside or next to your content.

There are advantages of using more than one area of your site:

1 You can set up channels with google adsense to see which areas of your site attract the most clicks (e.g. create a side block that only shows in the News Module pages, create a channel at google adsense called News(side, get the adsense code, insert it into the sideblock you just made and then you can track clicks in that area of your site)
2 You may be able to generate more clicks by 'hiding' the adverts in your content. As the adverts are targetted at words on your site, creating an adblock inside the content of say your News Stories or Forum posts means that those adverts will be quite often relevent to the content, and as they are in an area of the page that people are looking at - they may get those few extra clicks - again using the adsense channels, you can try different colours etc and see which types of ads in which colours get you the most clicks.

There are more advantages, but this post is already looking like an essay. If you have not seen the article I linked to in an earlier post, you should definately check it out for a little more info.

The XOOPS Banner System is great, but having that little bit more control over the adverts can bring in a few more clicks from your visitors.

Dave

PS: I love that Copter game on your site - it's one of those really annoying games, that you just can't stop playing!

toddherrold

On my site, I use:

1. XOOPS banner module for top banner
2. Custom blocks as suggested above
3. phpAdsNew in full install mode (not the module for xoops) to serve everything.

I would recommend adding phpAdsNew if you have the need for lots of customization and if you sell advertising and need to provide reports to clients. If it's just for google, you don't really need phpAdsNew and can get away with just the XOOPS banner and custom blocks.

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits