wtravel
Re: Mambo - Joomla! Discussion

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with comparing XOOPS to other cms projects
I think so too, comparing to your main competitors is common practice

LB, with my post I was hoping you will tell me on which points you think we can improve and how. Communication is one point I think and you are suggesting the structure of management. What structure would you propose?

LazyBadger

I can't suggest nothing new in the management's components model... Beside this, I haven't any degree in this area and operate on the basis on "common sense" + current russian specific. It's better to ask MBA about such administration abc...
XOOPS must have at least one skilled Manager, he'll organise rest
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

JMorris
  • 2006/1/2 23:43

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

LB,

Then please give what detailed suggestions you can.

It is easy to critisize us for what we are doing wrong, but it is a lot more productive for all if you give specific suggestions on how we can do things better.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

gestroud
  • 2006/1/2 23:52

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Don't know much about mambo's or joomla's infrastructure, but didn't/don't they have centralized offices and such where everyone is in physical contact with each other making it easier for them not only to communicate with the community but with other devs?

If this is the case, it's kind of unfair to place too much of a comparison on the way that they do business and the way XOOPS handles its affairs.

gestroud
  • 2006/1/2 23:58

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Heck, I think mambo even had corporate sponsorship. In view of that, it can be argued that while XOOPS may not be doing the best it can do, it's at least trying to do the best it can do with less than some of the competition.

Say that 10 times fast!

damaster
  • 2006/1/3 0:23

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Yep, but how did they get it? How did they get there?
It seems that they have started on the virtual world
and they still improving their project management in the real one.
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

LazyBadger

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

Then please give what detailed suggestions you can.

Quote from myself
Quote:
XOOPS must have at least one skilled Manager, he'll organise rest

Quote:

It is easy to critisize us for what we are doing wrong, but it is a lot more productive for all if you give specific suggestions on how we can do things better.

Repeat again
"Management isn't my business, my business is (one part) optimisation of business-processes and procedures. From this POV I see, that current management can't handle project, thus - first step is getting effective manager, which will get chance to build (more)? successful team"

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

LazyBadger

Quote:

gestroud wrote:
Don't know much about mambo's or joomla's infrastructure, but didn't/don't they have centralized offices and such where everyone is in physical contact with each other
No...
Both projects have published gallery of developments teams members - they are
- bigger
- decentralised

I lost inerest to Mambo (it's slightly different case, compared to XOOPS... as I see it), but Joomla's About Us will say all - who works, there works, how works, how they show real, not mythical Team on site

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

LazyBadger

Quote:

gestroud wrote:
Heck, I think mambo even had corporate sponsorship.

Joomla have nothing, except energy - and I nust to say Joomla show more fast progress for post-splitting time

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

JMorris
  • 2006/1/3 1:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

IMHO, effective management requires more than just an effective manager (singular). It requires an effective manager + good communication skills + a team that is willing to be managed.

For the most part, we have all of the above. We could certainly improve in some areas, but that is the case with all situations.

Personally, I believe Herko is a fine Project manager with very good communication skills. We have a very good team of Team Leaders who are progressing every day in their individual responsibilities as well as their communication skills with their teams and with each other.

Where I see the greatest room for improvement is communication with the community and the communities willingness to work with the Core Team.

There seems to be a lot of complaining going on, but very little action.

From the standpoint of a Team Leader, I find it hard to invest my time with someone when they complain, but offer no viable solutions. If they at least try to offer solutions, viable or not, I'm willing to go the extra mile to work with them.

From the standpoint of a community member, I'm willing to step up and offer suggestions and follow those suggestions up with action when called upon. That is what is asked of me, and it is a very small price to pay for all I've gained from XOOPS. BTW, that's also how I became a Team Leader.

There are some valid points being brought up in the community. I think that is great. There is always room for improvement in every situation. However, words without action are nothing more than hot air. Quite frankly, it's been like a furnace around here with all the hot air flying around.

From my experiences with the Core Team and this community, the best way to get things chaged is as follows...

* Politely bring up your case with validations that are based in fact.
* Formulate a proposal on how to bring about the desired change in a way that is mutually beneficial for all.
* Take action on the proposal when called upon, and continue to take action as needed.

Again, this is just my experience as a member of this community. Please take it as such.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

275 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 275

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits