incama
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/6 17:51

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

However aren't we officially in the broadband age now? If I remember correctly, wasn't 2005 the year that the majority of the surfers were on broadband? Just curious but I wonder how many sites are still catering to the dialups?

Sounds reasonable to most people, because they are on the client side of a site. But as you can imagine webservers have a limited capacity and limited bandwidth. Okay, if you have a small community site where 5 visitors visit at the same time, but what is the number 5 would be 100.

example:
surving 5 clients x 22kb = 110kb (few graphics)
surving 5 clients x 200kb = 1000kb (heavy grapics)

for xoops:
surving 100 clients x 22kb = 2200kb (few graphics)
surving 100 clients x 200kb = 20000kb (heavy grapics)

I can tell you huge client side bandwidth is not the issue.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

pdajunkee
  • 2005/12/6 17:55

• pdajunkee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/3 2

Joomla does look really nice, they have some very talented graphical designers helping them out.

Personally, I don't think extra load time is an issue. Most people accessing my site are on high speed. And a nice looking site doesn't have to be bulky.

But is Joomla a threat? I don't think so. I've tried it out (or attempted to try it out). And it's not as user friendly or intuitive to set up.

However, I do think that it's attracting a lot of potential XOOPS users because it does look good. And these people don't know any better.

The XOOPS community has some really talented designers. With the upgrade of this site to XOOPS 2.2 I suggest that it should look as good or better than joomla! Hold a contest, offer some prize money, pay a designer... whatever it takes.

Just my humble opinion... :)

aharon
  • 2005/12/6 18:16

• aharon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/17

Joomla/mambo indeed seems attractive because, in my opinion, 3 elements mainly:
* The system offers easy integration between written and visual media.
* It has a good SEO support that's easy to operate. (Probably one of the simpler things on the system..)
* It has a good syndication support.

However, to operate the system is a bit of a pain because the metaphors are confusing and the admin section continues on a similar vain.
The modules/components/bots etc., developed for joomla/mambo are a bit patchie to say the least..

Xoops is by far, not perfect. Though I think, the framework has a lot of potential to keep being the best.. Its about simplicity, flexibility and integration..

Another humble opinion..

Best wishes,

Aharon

new_bie
  • 2005/12/6 18:28

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

hi!
My simple opinion about XOOPS is that I "hate" the link names: everything is about /modules/wfchannel/ /xoopsmembers /xoopspartners can these links be renamed?

Now I am trying joomla,I have to admit is has many ways to add content,that´s why it´s confusing sometimes.
The Joomla designs are very nice too but I want to create my own design as well,I like minimalistic webpages without so much banner and search function so now I am learning how to create my own template.

Speaking of support in xoops,it takes more time to get a reply but in Joomla you get a reply much faster now I am very happy because I can speak spanish and swedish so I can post my questions in different languages and it gives more hope to resolve my problems.
I do not understand why XOOPS is having problems to get good looking designs not because I want to but I see there is no collaboration between the members.
I don´t want to give a bad opinion about XOOPS but right now after I have not been logged for 2 months ago,nothing happens with xoops..

just my 2 cents! yes XOOPS can compete with joomla and win if the ugly links are renamed

new-bie

davidl2
  • 2005/12/6 18:34

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

new_bie wrote:
hi!

just my 2 cents! yes XOOPS can compete with joomla and win if the ugly links are renamed

new-bie

you mean like in this thread:

here

PrezKennedy

I have Joomla and Mambo on a development site, and I was impressed with the quality of their graphics and color choices... but I didn't like how everything was laid out.

Ultimately, when I have the time... I'm going to "borrow" some of their ideas and assimilate them into the theme I use for my website (which uses XOOPS of course). But like I said, other than their clean graphics Joomla and Mambo don't do it for me. I've been using XOOPS for a couple years now and I've never had complaints about the length of the URLs or the design.

So, if you're wondering how my site looks right now... visithttp://prezkennedy.org

Not too bad eh?

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

defwind77 wrote:
Well then why are you using XP? ...

Oh, that is another question. These choices have nothing to do with my vision on a perfect world.

I use Windows XP because I am "lazy". I think Linux is a lot better but any office or education institute I know uses Microsoft's software. I do not want to invest time in using a different system at home.

And how did I choose for XOOPS? Well, I knew what I wanted to do with my website. I installed both Postnuke and XOOPS and experimented which one was more comfortable. I had a look at the modules and XOOPS had more modules. One of my requirements was multilinguality.

I considered Mambo briefly but at that time it had just split between Mambo and Joomla. As an outsider, I did not have the information to find out if this was healthy developer community. This is quite essential: I do not create a website to recreate it in a few years but I like to improve it continously. For a user, a healthy community of developers is some indication that the website can be updated in the future. I think the Object Oriented nature of XOOPS and Postnuke allows these communities to adsorb more ideas and improvements.

I did not look at graphics before choosing for XOOPS.

But like any human being, I'm making choices without having all the information I want and that was certainly true for when I choose a portal/cms system.

Dona_Brasil

Quote:

new_bie wrote:
hi!
My simple opinion about XOOPS is that I "hate" the link names: everything is about /modules/wfchannel/ /xoopsmembers /xoopspartners can these links be renamed?

Postnukers consider the XOOPS URL's as an advantage:http://forums.postnuke.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=40453&highlight=xoops

There is a module called "short URL" but I don't use it.

bluenova

I like Joomla/Mambo and I like XOOPS (of cause). They are 2 different systems, and there would be times when 1 is better to use than the other.

Most of the time when I've looked at Joomla I can't find a stable version of every module (component) I need. They all seem to just from Beta to RC1 to Beta, but never seem to make it to stable.

On the other hand the way blocks are handled with Joomla is far superior to xoops, so for a site where more than 5 types of block are needed then Joomla would be the CMS of choice.

With regards to themes (graphics), great themes can be made with both systems, the only limitation is the imagination of the creator.

To sum it up most of the time I would choose xoops, but there would be occasions where I need the block setup of Joomla.

new_bie
  • 2005/12/7 12:21

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

I thought about the same when I started using XOOPS but when I saw this website was made with mambo I got more interested in mambo,it´s a portal television..
http://tv3.se/

check the top links are also more channels and most of the websites has been created with mambo,so I have my doubts about xoops,it could take lot of time to sit and handcode to rename the link modules:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42036&forum=14&post_id=192939#forumpost192939

The television site is not so heavy almost everyone in Sweden has broadband conecction so I don´t have an idea whether is a heavy site or not.
I will return to XOOPS until they released a new version with the core code modified.
Joomla has lot of modules,I am only interested in the wrapper,latest news,contact and subscribe modules, so if XOOPS has lot of modules I don´t care because I don´t have any use for.

Prezkennedy I see an error output on your page
Notice [PHP]: Undefined offset: 1 in file modules/statistics/include/hitcounter.php line 383
To be honest your site looks very old fashion,you may compare:
http://joomlatips.com/

Login

Who's Online

98 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 98

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits