• Since: 2002/12/14

please, anyone?

nuker
Re: how to force email notification of new news postings
  • 2005/11/29 19:48

• nuker

• Not too shy to talk

i'm sorry, i don't mean to keep bumping this thread, but it is important that i have this figured out.

i am using XOOPS as a very important communications tool and the ability for me to force the activation of global new story postings in the news (1.4) module is detrimental to its effectiveness.

if anyone can point us in the right direction on how to carry this out it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Andy

nuker
  • 2005/12/2 3:49

• nuker

• Not too shy to talk

anyone?

nuker
  • 2005/12/2 21:16

• nuker

• Not too shy to talk

could it be the xoops_notifications table?

if so, what do the fields refer to, and how should it be modified?

winnesoup
  • 2005/12/2 23:41

• winnesoup

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/15

trying to help you out, not critisizing, but just test it!

Make local install, subscribe yourself to some kind of notification and see what has happened in the XOOPS tables.

And you have to take care of the fact that users can NOT unsubscribe.

You might be able to do this last thing by filling the records but then afterwards disabling notifications subscribing only for the news module. Believe it is a setting in the prefs of last one that you can set which notifications come in order. Then look if notifying still works.

Phatbloke
  • 2006/3/20 14:43

• Phatbloke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/22

Hi

Ok I have been doing this for a while now and it is getting annoying. I was thinking of making a module to control all the notifications but quite frankly couldn't be bothered as I only have a small site and its not a huge deal for me to do the process below. Here is the process i follow. If anyone has a simplier way please let me know or if anyone is thinking of developing a module or hack for this I'm happy to help I just don't have the time to do this all myself.

Every time a new user registers I get a notification. I then go into phpMyAdmin to edit the database directly. Your host may use alternative methods.
First you need to find 2 pieces of info. the id of the person just registered and the module number for your news module.

So first view the data in the xoops_users table and make a note of the last uid created or the uid of the desired user.

Then open xoops_modules and find the mid of the news module.

Then finally in the table xoops_xoopsnotifications add a new line using the supplied form in phpmyadmin or writing a sql statment if you know how with this data:
not_id = *leave blank as it automatically increments*
not_modid = *news module id (mine is 5)*
not_itemid = 0
not_category = global
not_event = new_story
not_uid = *the user id of the desired user*
not_mode = 0

**Note**
This is only the notification to email a user everytime any news item is posted. If you wish to use other events or modules add a notification for yourself then view this table. It will be the last notification added and change the values for not_event and not_category as shown.

Good luck, this method works 100% for me and i have never had a problem but as usual I take no responsibility if you stuff it up and destroy you DB some how. Make sure its all backed up.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits