carnuke
Re: The problem with xoops is the lack of support
  • 2005/11/12 17:35

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Fastian wrote:Quote:
Consider me as a volunteer for this. My studies schedule is tough but i will love to help the community.

And thanks to you as well Fastian for that offer. Everyone is pushed for time and committment levels. Most of us have a life outside of XOOPS and that's why Im opting to share the load amongst the community. As it is said ..."Many hands make light work"
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Herko
  • 2005/11/12 17:51

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

sensei is the japanese word for teacher (according to Takahashi's Romanised English-Japanese Dictionary), and in the western world is often used to address a martial arts instructor. Shifu is the Chinese term.

The difference between a mentor and a sensei is that the mentor helps the 'pupil' to find the learning path for himself, and acts as a guide when called upon. A teacher has defined the learning path from start to finish, and the pupil needs to take all steps in order to learn.
This difference stems from the fact that the teacher is less adapt at thinking outside the path set, and often requires strict dicipline from the pupils. A mentor offers guidance only when the pupil cannot find the next step for himself, and is therefore constantly rediscovering the learning curve, learning himself in the process.

Your comments about lamers should die does not fit with this, but I think you're right when you say you're more a sensei then a mentor.

Again we agree Isn't this wonderful?

Herko

alitan
  • 2005/11/12 18:05

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I suggest that once a user is registered a greeting message with all the links to useful recources and FAQ should be sent to both his/her email and PM. This will both help the user to find useful information and reduces the newbiw material in the forum.
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

kalpax
  • 2005/11/12 18:30

• kalpax

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/9 2

I really look forward to the more agile doc schema that Carnuke and Lance outlined. A built in XOOPS search tool that is as through as google is with usenet posts would be the other killer solution; the pair together would be outstanding.

JMorris
  • 2005/11/12 19:34

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
I suggest that once a user is registered a greeting message with all the links to useful recources and FAQ should be sent to both his/her email and PM. This will both help the user to find useful information and reduces the newbiw material in the forum.

jdseymour has something like this on his site and I found it to be a very nice touch. It gave a level of personal attention that is lacking in most online communities. I don't know if he has automated this though. I would think that it would be possible to have something like this added to the account activation email then CC'd to PM.

Just my 2 cents.

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

alitan
  • 2005/11/12 19:38

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I think this should be even added to the core features as it is really important to have a greeting message to the users.
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

carnuke
  • 2005/11/12 20:18

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Herko said:Quote:
The difference between a mentor and a sensei is that the mentor helps the 'pupil' to find the learning path for himself, and acts as a guide when called upon.

I think the equivelent term is 'facilitator' though there may be subtle differences if we want to be over semantic.

Facilitators are an imporatant part of any learning schema, that aspires to 'impart' as opposed to 'teach' The concept of self-empowerment is far more useful than anything else.

Mentors, facilitators, whatever, there does appear to be a wide gap between a vast amount of users, who have little understanding of the workings of xoops, I mean under the hood amongst the raw code.

Somewhere among all this call for 'basic' user documentation and guidance, we also must facilitate skills and knowledge for the future of XOOPS developers. A high end developers arena where would be programmers can learn and try out their ideas in a safe supporting environment.

Mmm, lots to think about eh? ...

The concept of an introductory email stating basic etiquette, essential help pages and forum protocols, is surely an easy and effective step to implement.?
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

MasterYoda
  • 2005/11/15 2:44

• MasterYoda

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/5

All

This is a very good discussion and I strongly agree with kalpax. I am using XOOPS for almost a year now (before that I was using postnuke) and I fell XOOPS is better.

Anyway, I tried the support forums the FAQs and also the API Document (which is down for more then 2 weeks) and for the most part it was very difficult to find information there.

1. In some cases people do not reply to questions
2. In other cases the XOOPS search is very poor
3. It is frustrating to wonder around the support forums for hours looking for information.

I found that the best way for me to learn is to read the code inside modules and try to figure out from there. I agree this is difficult to do and sometime takes me days but in many cases I have no other choice.
Luckily as an old school programmer and analyst that has roots back in the PASCAL days and branches in C, C++, JAVA etc. I can do that but if one doesn't have this experience this is extremely difficult.

I think a document that will describe the concept behind XOOPS and the structure of the core will be a good place to start. On top of that I would add the API and basic module's essentials.

Here is the stupid question of the day: how do I set my avatar to be cool one like most of you have? From the profile page I can not add one and the list shows “Not found” on all the avatars.

gestroud
  • 2005/11/15 3:41

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Quote:

MasterYoda wrote:

how do I set my avatar to be cool one like most of you have? From the profile page I can not add one and the list shows “Not found” on all the avatars.

You need to make a certain amount of posts. I think the minimum is 10.

Quote:

2. In other cases the XOOPS search is very poor
3. It is frustrating to wonder around the support forums for hours looking for information.

Glad someone else noticed that.

MadFish
  • 2005/11/15 4:14

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I think a document that will describe the concept behind XOOPS and the structure of the core will be a good place to start. On top of that I would add the API and basic module's essentials.

I would love to see this. I've tried to pull XOOPS apart a few times to figure out how it works, but I'm just getting started with PHP and there is a hell of a lot of code. A simple doc explaining the basic architecture of the system would save a lot of time, and maybe give us access to more programmers.

If someone who knows how the core works is willing to work with / explain it to me (in small pieces over several months) I'll write it down and turn it into a doc. I'd also be happy to work with people to try and turn the API into a more human-readable form (at the moment its a bit ermmm...'concise').

If anyone wants to take me up on this, let me know.

Login

Who's Online

290 user(s) are online (187 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 290

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits