dotmil
DebCentral.org - comments please
  • 2005/11/14 4:48

• dotmil

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/6 2

We just recently started this website, DebCentral. It is a news and online community for users, developers, and gurus of all types who use Debian GNU/Linux or one of the hundreds of derivatives. Our idea is that since so many share the core tools, but differ in implementation we can all learn from each other and work together. We try to cover all derivatives as much as possible, and have admin team members who are well experienced in most of the major derivative distros.

Eventually we plan to add much more in the way of features and tools, such as wikis, an apt repository, and perhaps space to host those who wish to develop debs that could be used across distros. I guess you could say it is an attempt at unity in an area where there is usually division. While they come in different looks and ideals, they all share the common Debian core. Anyway, check it out, let me know what you think, and maybe even join us

DebCentral
DebCentral
Debian and derivative distros community and news!
DebianHomepage.org All your Debian news in one place!

Jharis
Re: DebCentral.org - comments please
  • 2005/11/14 6:06

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

dotmil,

I myself use Ubuntu as my preferred sibling distro. I look forward to seeing your site grow.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Shine
  • 2005/11/14 8:39

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Visiting your site,........seeing the index and then all of a sudden I am transefered and read:

Quote:
We see you're using Internet Explorer, which is not compatible with this site. We strongly suggest downloading Firefox. We think you'll like it better:

· Firefox blocks pop-up windows.
· It's more secure against viruses and spyware.
· It keeps Microsoft from controlling the future of the internet.
· It's better for web designers and developers.
· Features like tabbed browsing make reading webpages easier.

Click the button on the right to download Firefox. It's free.

Continue without Firefox >>

Why are you somehow obligating people to install Firefox? This all is very confusing. I hate these kind of messages. Sorry.

Grtz., Shine

Bananadude
  • 2005/11/14 9:30

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/16

Quote:
Hello Guest! Click here to login! New user! Register here!

A little to much xclamationsign (don't know if it's the correct word in english..but this -> ! <- ) It's like your yelling to your visitors.

Quote:

Why are you somehow obligating people to install Firefox? This all is very confusing. I hate these kind of messages. Sorry.

Install Firefox and you get rid of it

We all know that Firefox is better, so I agree with Shine that it's unnecessary to claim it.

And just as you know: your site looks exactly the same in both IE and Firefox, you are claiming that IE is not compatible with your site, which is actualy a lie..

Besides that, it looks nice and I'm looking forward to see your site grow too :)

Edit: LOL! The message shows up EVERY time you click on a link if you use IE, so the only thing that does IE incompatible is the warningmessage, you will loose visitors on this.

Best Regards,
Bananadude
--- censored by Bananadude ---

Goober
  • 2005/11/14 9:38

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

The firefox msg is ...ummm... well, IMO lose it.

Granted, you get a $buck$ if someone does it. But I wonder if adsense would have a problem with the harrassing nature of the ad. (?)

Other than that, site looks fine. I won't be back however, I don't like to be bullied/spammed into browser choices with every link.
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

dotmil
  • 2005/11/14 17:58

• dotmil

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/6 2

Thanks all. The Firefox thing was installed as a joke against one of our members last Fri, and honestly I forgot to remove it over the weekend. It's going bye-bye now though and wasn't meant to be a permanent fixture. My apologies for it.

FWIW, the script came from ExplorerDestroyer.com.

Thanks for the comments. Goober, sorry to hear you were so upset by the FFox thing. Don, I hope to see you around posibly?

And, and the biggest difference in the site between FF and IE is the IE handling of PNG graphics, which we use extensively. The overall look of the site is the same, but it does look a bit less polished in IE.

Again, sorry if that thing upset anyone. I had honestly forgotten it was there, and it is now removed.
DebCentral
Debian and derivative distros community and news!
DebianHomepage.org All your Debian news in one place!

dickinsd
  • 2005/11/14 19:15

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Nice site.

And The IE thing, come on guys it's aimed at Debian users (and related) how many Debian users are going to have crappy Internet Explorer?

Dave

Bananadude
  • 2005/11/15 11:33

• Bananadude

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/16

It didn't upset me, I thought it was funny, but not everyone think in that way..and afterall ..not everyone use Firefox either
Hope you didn't loose to many visitors on your joke
--- censored by Bananadude ---

Goober
  • 2005/11/15 12:26

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

After I read that, it came across a lot harsher than it was ment. Apologies

I was just trying to point out what the majority of peeps who ran across that would be doing. I mean, for gawdsake, AOL and webTV are still around!

As far as the IE vs FF, I could care less. I look at logs, see who has the majority and cater to them. Now if they could only get rid of Opera
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits