defwind77
how can I simply add a news to my site?
  • 2005/11/11 21:33

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

Ok I've installed XOOPS 2.2.3, as a CMS it looks great - now I want to be able to add articles and news etc to my site.

It appears you can't simply do this in XOOPS and you need to install a module of some kind - so I've installed News 1.4 but that doesn't work because the permissions option gives me a parse error...the author also states News 1.4 will not work stably with XOOPS 2.2.x. great.

All the others appear to require to be installed 'over' another news module.

Can anyone explain how I can simply add news to my site? Or is this not possible at present with Xoops?!

srmcatee
Re: how can I simply add a news to my site?
  • 2005/11/11 21:47

• srmcatee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/22

Def,

Try downloading XOOPS 2.0.x. The news module should work with this.

Since all the modules are developed independantly they sometimes do not convert over to a newer version of Xoops.

You might go to the module section and log a message to the owner of this particular module. They may not be aware of the problem.

Thx.
Steve
ChurchLedger.com - A Xoops Module Developer

srmcatee
  • 2005/11/11 22:27

• srmcatee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/22

I just checked. I'm running XOOPS 2.2.2 and news 1.4. It all seems to work.

What <b>specific</b> error are you getting?

Do you have the text of your news article? Can you include it in the post.

Thanks.
Steve
ChurchLedger.com - A Xoops Module Developer

defwind77
  • 2005/11/11 22:29

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

Well I've just installed this and everything appeared hunkydory - however, I can't open the permissions page - when I click on the permissions option it just gives me a blank screen?!

Any ideas - I can't post any news because I don't have permissions set, but I can't set permissions cos I get a blank screen!

when I enable debug and click permissions I get:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $, expecting ')' in /home/cgenien/public_html/xoops2/class/xoopsform/grouppermform.php on line 281

Do you understand this error?

I can't even get to the 'post a message' stage!

Jharis
  • 2005/11/11 22:32

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

defwind77,

There are several modules you can use for news that do work with X2.2.3 Xoops.

There is an update for the news module you might check out.

new 1.42 update and see if that fixes your problems.

You might also try smartsection by smartfactory.

smartsections will handle news and articles.

I used both on 2.2.3

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

defwind77
  • 2005/11/12 6:48

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

Hi Jharis,

Thanks for all your suggestions - I've installed both the 1.42 upgrade for news and the promising-looking smartsection - however curiously they both result in exactly the same problem.

News 1.42 works fine except for when I click the 'permissions' button (so effectively I can't use it at all!) and Smartsection works fine except...when I press the permissions button!

I'm beginning to think I must have missed something silly - does that file need to have to be CHMODDed to a particular setting or something - I've tried about 5 or 6 different modules quotes, tutorials, CBB etc and they all work perfectly?!

Any ideas guys?

rowdie
  • 2005/11/12 7:03

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Try reuploading the core file: xoops2/class/xoopsform/grouppermform.php. It looks like the file might have become corrupted when you uploaded it.

Jharis
  • 2005/11/12 7:39

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Ok, try this.

Login as admin
Click on User then groups and check to see if you you have the rights in the admin group. Check to be sure the admin has all the boxes checked.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Goober
  • 2005/11/12 12:06

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Personally, I would go with News 1.1. I recently moved over to News 1.42 and I'm starting to regret it.

News 1.42 has some nice features, I dig the meta input and the Page titles, but I'm still debating if it's all worth it.

If you want to customize the Recent news template, you'll want to view this to fix the bug in that block:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43135&forum=28&post_id=189027#forumpost189027

I've yet to find a way to "Move this story on top" without changing the date and time of the article.
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43407&forum=7&post_id=190287#forumpost190287

If you or your users submit news via w.bloggar, be aware there is a topicid bug in 1.42

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43157&forum=27&post_id=189179#forumpost189179

Again, News 1.42 rocks in other areas but can be a tad frustrating and time consuming in others. My experience with it anyway...
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

defwind77
  • 2005/11/12 19:06

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

ok guys thanks for all the replies.

I've check permissions Jharis and I'm set as webmaster with all options clicked - good idea though! ;)

Rowdie: I've tried reuploading the file - no joy - there's nothing like 281 lines in the file so I think it's just a cocked up script somewhere....

So basically from other peoples comments XOOPS 2.3 seems to mess up stuff and News 1.42 seems to mess up stuff and I should just downgrade everything?!

Seems very strange and I can't say I've come across software 'upgrades' like these before! ;)

I think I might try News 1.1 then and see if that improves things as it does seem that 1.42 is just dud for me...

Any final ideas?

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits