incama
Re: Dutch month format
  • 2005/11/4 5:46

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
When you say templates your are referring to the news templates?

Yes indeed, the script just looksup the current time, there is no connection with the date stored in the db.

Quote:
So active news articles do not display correctly, but the same articles when archived do then display the language change correctly?

All of the article post date's are incorrect, but when you go to the news archive the index shows the correct date.

Here's an example:

Resized Image

As you can see the news item spells the month in English, whilst the archive index has the correct dutch spelling.
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!
I hate politics, give me a stylie instead...

Jharis
  • 2005/11/4 7:08

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

So its safe to say the language file doesn't affect the date. You do however have some control over date format by placing additional code in the global.php file.

Here's a sample of code I copied off a java site. Notice the Locale.FRANCE

DateFormat df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.LONG, Locale.FRANCE);
for (int i = 0; i < myDate.length; ++i) {
output.println(df.format(myDate[i]) + "; ");
}

Here's the link to the site.

Java site

Not sure if Java is the way to go or not. Perhaps in the global.php you could also specify the local language and not just date format.

I'm really over my head on this, but am trying to learn in the process.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

incama
  • 2005/11/4 7:27

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
You do however have some control over date format by placing additional code in the global.php file.

I already have tried to do that, but with no results. I even reconfigured my server so the dutch language would have the first priority above all other languages (even ignoring the English language).

I will try your tip and get back to you later on to show you the results.

Yesterday I (again) spoke with Marcan (who also already spend alot of his precious time), he told me that it could be a problem of the XOOPS core and will send a message the dev people, so I'm awaiting some kind of reaction of those wizards.

Thank you Jharis for your time and I will get back at this soon.

In the meanwhile, is there someone who succesfully uses his own language month format on a XOOPS site?
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!

marcan
  • 2005/11/4 12:27

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Ok, here is a little update on this issue.

The problems comes from PHP itself, and not XOOPS. All dates are passed through include/functions.php/formatTimeStamp() before being displayed. This function uses the PHP function date(). There is the problem. The date() function doesn't take the locale into consideration.

We are currently looking at how we could workaround this...
.:: marcan (aka mal aka Marc-André) ::.
.:: Open Source :: The SmartFactory ::.
.:: XOOPS Professional Services :: INBOX International ::.

dadoprom
  • 2005/11/4 13:06

• dadoprom

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/3/2 1

any news about this topic?
Everything is possible......
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.mla.sk

Mithrandir

wow. 39 minutes of patience

As Marcan says, the problem lies with the date() function used in the formatTimestamp() function.

We are currently considering how date() could be replaced with a strftime() - without breaking backwards compatibility.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

incama
  • 2005/11/4 16:00

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

I already feel a bit guilty about this, but it's nice to see there is action taken
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!

gediminasbyt

@Mith

I was laughing about Dadoprom and thought about replying to him about his "patience".

But on the other hand I do agree with him from another aspect. This thread was started about a month ago and from no replies from core devs I felt like there is no interest in to looking at this. Thanks for yours and Marcan replies that this was recognized as a problem and you are looking at it. This is a fine answer (for now)

Waiting for a possibility to use them in my language.

Gediminas

Herko
  • 2005/11/4 18:33

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

gediminasbyt wrote:
This thread was started about a month ago and from no replies from core devs I felt like there is no interest in to looking at this. Thanks for yours and Marcan replies that this was recognized as a problem and you are looking at it.

Incama, Marcan (a member of the core development team) and even I looked at the problem, and had help from Hervé too. So this issue has been taken seriously, although I agree that this hasn't always been reflected here in this thread.

There are tons and tons of issues, we have had the hack attacks, security focus, 2.2.3 release, module compatibility, site management, many many many things to look into. If an issue isn't addresses immediately (and I don't take this too literal but within due time), it's not because the core (dev) team doesn't care, or objects even, it's probably because we either missed it, or haven't had the time to look into it properly yet.
Then again, since it's all open source code, many eyeballs make all bugs shallow, right? What I mean with that is dont put all your money on the core devs, but ask the community for help too. In fact, I got into XOOPS for real when I started trying to figure out the issues I had myself. The learning curve isn't too steep, and it's really fun too

Herko

incama
  • 2005/11/11 5:50

• incama

• Friend of XOOPS

I think it's safe to ask now,.Could someone inform us what the status is of this problem?
Webdesign
Sitting Ducks?!

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits