libervis
Re: downgrade back to 2.0x
  • 2005/9/5 22:35

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

For downgrading from XOOPS 2.2.3 to XOOPS 2.2.2 or 2.2.1 I think the process I described would work as I think there's no database structure changes between 2.2.x releases. But yes, in case where you downgrade to a previous branch (being 2.0.x) the situation is different.

Anyway, I know now that I should have waited with upgrades as I would probably have no problems that I have now. Autologin would work with the old hack on the old version, so would all the modules including weblog and its blocks. I just thought it wont hurt as those releases were marked as stable. I should have thought better though and think of the possibility of module incompatibilities.

Still, yes, the bright side is that if we didn't move we wouldn't be able to report problems for fixing that would advance the 2.2 branch. In every evil some good, right!

Cheers
Daniel
XOOPS Site: Libervis.com :: For a Free World

-- Libervis Network --

libervis
  • 2005/9/6 23:36

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I'm thinking of uploading 2.2.2 over 2.2.3 files and updating system module as a way to revert back to 2.2.2. Would this shortcut be safe?

Thanks
Daniel
XOOPS Site: Libervis.com :: For a Free World

-- Libervis Network --

Tobias
  • 2005/9/27 16:58

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

Bump! I'd be interested in some testimonials or informed opinions regarding libervis's question as well. Would it be more or less safe to install the 2.2.2 system module over a functional installation of 2.2.3 RC1 as a way to move back onto firmer territory? Not that my 2.2.3 wouldn't more or less work, but there're a couple of issues which I assume might have to do with bugs or something, and as 2.2.3 RC1 seems to be -- how do you say? -- deprecated, I assume taking the step back to 2.2.2 as a base also for future upgrades looks like a reasonable consideration. To me as a person who wouldn't be able to tweak and fix on my own. My site's just beta, or acquiring it's first users, and the people for whom I'm building it might be easily discouraged if I have to start over with a blank user database. Besides, "clean install" sounds like less work than it would be, with all the photos that are already in the gallery and bits and pieces in the database.
www.affvu.org

catalin12345

READ THIS PEOPLE:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=41885&forum=11&post_id=184017#forumpost184017
soon will be available downgrade from 2.2.x to 2.0.x

Tobias
  • 2005/9/27 19:55

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

Ok, but actually, I don't want to downgrade to 2.0.x. I understand folks are still working on a stable 2.2 release, and I can wait out that development. I mean I've costumized a few things and installed some of the modules adapted to 2.2, and I foresee a lot of readaptation work even if they come up with an excellent downgrade script.
The question is just whether it's possible to get back onto a little more stable footing, from 2.2.3RC1 to 2.2.2 which, I understand, is the basis for current development (although I've also read something about future versions going to be developed on the basis of 2.0.x). My site seems to be working more or less OK, registering users and letting them login, post, and what know I, with 2.2.3RC1. I get a lot of messages in debug mode, though, which makes me worry, also reading what other people have to fight with even after weeks of seemingly stable operation.

So the question simply is: Is the database sufficiently backward compatible (between 2.2.3RC1 and 2.2.2) to venture into an attempt to just "upgrade" the system module backward? Or is that idea doomed to failure right from the start?

Only if there's a quick answer to that, otherwise I'll just try sitting it out and see what people come up with. Just came to XOOPS in the worst of all moments, I guess, between the release of "stable" 2.2.3 and it's downgrading to RC. But I'm hanging in here. Keep it up, guys, great work!
www.affvu.org

Tobias
  • 2005/9/27 23:38

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

Never mind! I've switched my site to PHP 5.04 (my host gives me a choice), and that has reduced those scary PHP notices dramatically. In fact, I now only get a few notices from non-essential modules. And Tropical Mail does not like my idea at all, but that's no topic for this thread. So, I'll hang in with RC1 hoping the next release of 2.2.x will let me upgrade from here.
www.affvu.org

catalin12345

just do what`s your best for your site!
p.s: i just wanna be an RAVEERRRRRRRRR

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits