JMorris
[Community Request] Take the Challenge!
  • 2005/9/18 20:04

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Over the past several months there has grown to be a great deal of dissention among the membership of XOOPS.org. There have been petty fights, there have been forks, and there have been members loosing their cool over relatively minor things (including myself).

I’m not going to waste my time or yours with all the nit picky details of what’s been going on. If you are a regular here, you know what’s been going on, you’ve seen it too. Instead, I would like to jump straight to the heart of the matter. If we, as XOOPS members do not band together as a community, for the benefit of XOOPS as a whole, XOOPS will eventually perish.

As we’ve all seen, users, contributors, and even developers (including Core Team Members) all come and go. In the past few months, members who we never thought we would see leave, have left. On the flip side, we’ve seen a steady growth in new members coming to XOOPS. The point is, when the sun goes down at night, the true backbone of XOOPS is the community, not the Core Team, not Community Support Members, not the Friends of XOOPS, etc…

This is not meant to disrespect any member of XOOPS, especially the members of the Core Team. I would hope that the Core Team members, of all people, will understand what it is I’m saying. That being, without the community, there is no XOOPS.

What I propose is that each member of the community take a long hard look at your contribution to XOOPS. XOOPS is YOUR CMS after all is said in done.

Ask yourself:
Have I contributed to XOOPS in a positive way in the last week by doing any of the following...

Providing help to a fellow user?
Providing, polite, constructive feedback to the community?
Donating time to help maintain the XOOPS.org site?
Developing a Theme or Module for XOOPS?
Submitting a bug report to help improve XOOPS?
Actively promoting XOOPS at other web design related sites?
Financially supporting XOOPS with at least a small donation?

Take the Challenge!

From this day forward, don’t look at XOOPS as just the Core Team’s responsibility, because it is NOT. XOOPS is the responsibility of ALL of US.

After all, isn’t that what Open Source is all about? Software for the community, developed by the community, supported by the community, distributed by the community, and marketed by the community.

WE ARE THE COMMUNITY. WE ARE XOOPS. It’s about high time WE took responsibility for OUR CMS. Stop blaming the Core Team, the Developers, the Support Members, or anyone else around here. Take responsibility!

I leave you with this quote...

“If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.”

Best Regards,

James Morris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

catalin12345
Re: [Community Request] Take the Challenge!

you`re totally right..
Quote:
Take the Challenge!
From this day forward, don’t look at XOOPS as just the Core Team’s responsibility, because it is NOT. XOOPS is the responsibility of ALL of US.

After all, isn’t that what Open Source is all about? Software for the community, developed by the community, supported by the community, distributed by the community, and marketed by the community.

WE ARE THE COMMUNITY. WE ARE XOOPS. It’s about high time WE took responsibility for OUR CMS. Stop blaming the Core Team, the Developers, the Support Members, or anyone else around here. Take responsibility!

WE WILL UNITE! 4 SURE!

davidl2
  • 2005/9/18 20:24

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Thank you JM for the initiative...

I'm pleased to say I try to do almost all of these - except money... and if I could, I would.

Herko
  • 2005/9/18 20:55

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

/me bows low.

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Thank you James

I'm learning too, and I've been trying to control too many things too. We're all in this together!

Herko

hyperpod
  • 2005/9/18 21:03

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Very well put.

You can just feel the passion for a positive path.

Kudos to JMorris for articulating what I think alot of us would also like to say :)

XOOPSers Unite!
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

Marco
  • 2005/9/18 21:48

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

I think xoopsers are ready for days to help. They are just waiting for some news.
marco
Do synergy or die.

otr222
  • 2005/9/18 22:18

• otr222

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/5/13

Providing help to a fellow user?
Yes. I try my best.

Providing, polite, constructive feedback to the community?
I like to think so. I actually learn more that way.

Donating time to help maintain the XOOPS.org site?
No sorry. I'm just in the learning stage.

Developing a Theme or Module for XOOPS?
Same as the above. But would like to.

Submitting a bug report to help improve XOOPS?
If the time came to yes.

Actively promoting XOOPS at other web design related sites?
Oh Yhea. As much as possible.

My bad there. If XOOPS will take paypal (maybe it does) I will.

I have no beef with XOOPS at all. What does irrate me are the new folks that come on the forum and demand instant answers to their questions. Sometimes 3,4 etc... a day. Most of them don't seem to care about anything but themselves. And I'm sure they are that way in the real world.

In regards to some of the negative postings in the forum, I've seen folks say XOOPS is crap. It takes more than a few minutes to learn any program, I say just ignore them. Don't even respond. I have played (tried) many other cms programs and knew I found my baby (xoops) on day one. It had an active forum, installation was so simple, over 300 modules and when I found XOOPS for dummies, I was in heaven.

Special thanks to the core team. You are appreciated even thou you seldom here it.

Greg (tips his beer to XOOPS)

krystinevo

Quote:

Excellent post James.

Donating $, helping out on these forums (in my own limited way) and promoting XOOPS to everyone I see is about all I have the capacity to do.

If there was a way to set up a subscription to donate $ on a monthly basis, I would totally be into that. To be honest, I donate when I remember to donate.

If there was a way I could pledge an amount of money each month, that would be awesome -- then I wouldn't even have to think about it, it would just happen.

Just a suggestion

In the meantime, I'll do a better job of remembering to donate...

Kristine
Everything is as it should be

Lance_
  • 2005/9/19 0:55

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Word! Homies!!
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

JMorris
  • 2005/9/19 2:37

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

Lance_ wrote:
Word! Homies!!

LOL! I hear ya bro!

I just wanted to comment that this isn't about driving more funds into XOOPS, although I'm sure any financial support would be greatly appreciated.

As pointed out, yes, I am passionate about XOOPS, about change, and about this community. I just want all who visit this site to realize that it's not a small number of people that make XOOPS what it is, but the entire community. We all have a stake in XOOPS!

I really appreciate everything that you all have said. I really hope that we, as a community, can build on this momentum and start a new fire here at XOOPS.org.

Don't let this thread get burried into the thousands of forgoten threads here. Keep the fire going. Let everyone know how passionate you are about XOOPS. Lets show the world that XOOPS is NOT a passing fad. That we are here to stay. That this is the best darn Open Source community out there!

And above all else... Happy XOOPS'ing!

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits