frankblack
How many splits can XOOPS bear?
  • 2005/9/5 7:14

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

Isn't it sad that XOOPS has to suffer a new (notsonew) split again? XOOPS Cube is the new japanese (so-called safe and stable) Version from the 2.0x-series.

I cannot understand why this have to be this way. Every split weakens a project.

The fact that 60% of the people in the poll on the German cube-support-site want to use the cube-version instead is alarming (OK, 15 votes are not this much).

The "Official" XOOPS does not have to fear the CUBE right NOW. As a German saying says: "They only cook with hot water too". There are "bugs" in this version that are ancient.

But it seems that the adverbials? "secure" and "stable", which are the "headlines" of the CUBE attract more and more people. Perhaps the "Official" XOOPS heads missed to emphasize that "Official" XOOPS is secure and stable?

Just my two Euro cents.

brash
Re: How many splits can XOOPS bear?
  • 2005/9/5 8:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Xoopscube is the only recent split I know of, and while regretable there is no pleasing everyone. Japan has quite a bit of Xoop talent, so I'm sure it will go well.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

frankblack
  • 2005/9/5 8:46

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
only recent

What about the second post in THIS thread or was it just a threat (sorry for that flat pun) posted by the guy with the thousand nicks?

I do believe that some good developers will migrate to the CUBE then, which will be a terrible loss to XOOPS since the gap between the two versions will widen. Is no communication between both partys possible?

I mean we are all big boys and girls and so discussing things should be possible?

adrock
  • 2005/9/5 9:04

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

I still get a chuckle out of phpbb's claim that donxoop wouldn't have timed out of his session if they used CBB instead of newBB!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

DonXoop

Sometimes language issues can get an already touchy subject further off track. The timing out thing had me shaking my head. Oh well. And xoops.org still uses newbb...

Forks? Nothing new about that. And forks because of "ancient" bugs? I doubt it, why not offer the fix for them instead of a whole new app?

We can keep this "ancient" topic shorter by referring everyone to the mentioned thread or the others on the same subject. Endless pages of pokes, jabs, and confusion with no consensus.

Fork away if one must. If the app is truly better or has a cool name or better marketing then all the power to them. I'll need a lot more than 15 votes to even take the bait to have a look.
no max no bling. goes double for mik. triple for the insane aliases of said lunatics
===========================
Not around here anymore. Way too many idiots, so sad.

frankblack
  • 2005/9/5 11:30

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

Perhaps my posts had this terrible German accent, that my point wasn't clear at all.

Quote:
And forks because of "ancient" bugs?

I did not mean that! I looked at the code and found some old stuff that hasn't been wiped out. What I meant was, that the CUBE-Code did not blast me off the chair.

Quote:
I'll need a lot more than 15 votes to even take the bait to have a look.

Everything started with protozoa (had to look up this ), so I wanted to point out, that 15 votes are only a start.

All in all I wanted to express my sorrow, that things must not go the forking way. Misunderstandings could be discussed, but I think I am naive and the hands of time cannot be turned back. In the long run XOOPS might lose all Japanese members, which is - in my opinion - a great loss.

brash
  • 2005/9/5 11:36

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

frankblack wrote:

In the long run XOOPS might lose all Japanese members, which is - in my opinion - a great loss.

That would be a great loss indeed.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

Herko
  • 2005/9/5 12:07

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

why would we lose all japanese users? Did the XOOPS.original system suddenly lose all it's strengths? No, it's getting better and better. But that is not the point of forking.

You fork not because you want to fix bugs, but because you want to take development into another direction than the original project. The Japanese focus is security and simplicity (if I'm correct), which is a focus the XOOPS.original team doesn't support in the way the XOOPS Cube team does.

Forks are a fact of life of open source development (and I've said this before many times now), simply because it can be done easily. But all forks will eventually find out that you can take the code, but you have to rebuild the whole project, trust, branding, community, energy etc from the gound up. Not a task that is as simple as copying the code.

Since XOOPS Cube and XOOPS.original haven't diverged all that much (yet), it may be possible to merge the two later on, if both teams wish this. If not, we both go our separate ways.

One advantage of forks is that it allows for different ideas to be put to practice, a fact that XOOPS.orgiginal can learn from And that will benefit us all.

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/9/5 13:56

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I would guess that many negative feelings may have been due to the issues with XOOPS 2.2.x .... if that is the case, then I hope people now realise that rather than rushing out new versions - it appears the Core team will be spending much more time in further testing to avoid the problems of the past.

Sometimes we only learn by mistakes.

solo71
  • 2005/9/5 15:29

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

And consider all those local support site, speaded all over the world who stick with Xoops.orginal, and support its core team. I may understand the german community is 'upset' with all this split stuff, which, I think, is not the case with everyone else. To make a long story short, 15 votes on a local site is far from being representative to a worldwide community opinion.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits