artvolk
XOOPS on commercial site
  • 2005/8/10 5:53

• artvolk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/5 1

I want to install XOOPS on the site of commercial organization. I want to get a fee for installing it, configuring and making custom theme and blocks for it.

Is this legal? Is this permitted by license. I've read it, I suppose it is legal, but I doubt.

hyperpod
Re: XOOPS on commercial site
  • 2005/8/10 6:03

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

You can charge for installation and customization (configuring is part of customization).

What you cannot do is sell the code itself. The client should realize that they are not buying software from you.

Hope that helps,
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

artvolk
  • 2005/8/10 6:08

• artvolk

• Just popping in

Ok! So if I tell the client that this is "Open Source CMS XOOPS" and leave copyright and XOOPS banner on pages everything would be legal?

hyperpod
  • 2005/8/10 6:12

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

You dont have to leave any reference to xoops... you can modify any part to show anything you want.

Leaving in a link to xoops.org would just be courteous.

You can mention that you are using a web portal called XOOPS, you do not have to mention "Open Source" if its just going to confuse them.

As long as they dont think they are buying the code that runs XOOPS, you are OK.
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

brash
  • 2005/8/10 6:13

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Actually, under the GNU GPL you can charge for whatever you want, you just can't restrict what the person does with the code once they have it (unless they obtained it unlawfully of course, but good luck trying to chase that down). Most commercial software companies releasing under the GNU GPL (as XOOPS is released) don't actually charge for the software itself though, but rather for the time in producing it. Totally depends on if production is volunteer based, or if there are mouths to feed at the end of it.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

wtravel

You are not allowed to sell XOOPS as if it were your own, but indeed, selling services like support, installation and customization is permitted.

You do not have to leave the XOOPS banner on the pages at all. Also you can remove the 'Powered by XOOPS' text.

You will need to keep the copyright text inside the files intact though.

Best wishes

Edited: so many answers at the same time

artvolk
  • 2005/8/10 6:19

• artvolk

• Just popping in

Thanks a lot! I've got it!

Herko
  • 2005/8/10 8:28

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Brash is exactly right in this: you can sell the code if you want (but you have to leave the credits intact and as they are), and you cannot put any restrictions on how the buyer(s) use the code. So they're free to redistribute it for free if they want.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits