JMorris
Re: xoops vs mambo
  • 2005/8/3 10:33

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
Another idea out there is to have a development fund, where you can pledge donations to a certain development, and devs can sign up for those developments and get paid the pledged amount of donations. That way we can free up resources and devote the free time to the core...

Now *that* sounds like a Win Win situation!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

mCity
  • 2005/8/3 11:58

• mCity

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/31

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

Generally speaking, if you want a CMF/CMS that's easy to learn, easy to administer, easy to grow with, and has a fantastic community, XOOPS is a perfect choice.
A User view!

Quote:

If you want a CMF/CMS that has WYSIWYG editors integrated into the core, a complex, but highly customizable theme engine, with tons of very high quality themes, and you don't mind coding your own modules, Mambo may be right for you.
A Technical webmaster view!

Thanks! Morris!
You showed us two points of view from Users AND Technical Webmasters.

Well, as a technical webmaster, I am thinking trying it and port it to be a XOOPS modules with very high quality themes for that modules

Making use their themes technique for our own module would be very interesting. Don't forget XOOPS could set which module for front page. Yes, then, it is for the site already.

mCity
  • 2005/8/3 15:28

• mCity

• Just popping in

Suddenly, I have two more questions to ask.

1. Which one provides an easier coding to develop module by a fresh well-trained php devs (study time to catch the coding standard for it) AND an experienced(over one year) XOOPS devs for XOOPS module / mambo devs for mambo... component?

[size=x-small]<outoftopic>PS. IMO, component should mean something, such as "Notifications", that could be called and used in core and modules. But mambo seems re-define it.</outoftopic>[/size]

2. Which one provides faster running system in coding and database optimization viewpoints?

mCity

JMorris
  • 2005/8/3 21:03

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

mCity wrote:
Suddenly, I have two more questions to ask.

1. Which one provides an easier coding to develop module by a fresh well-trained php devs (study time to catch the coding standard for it) AND an experienced(over one year) XOOPS devs for XOOPS module / mambo devs for mambo... component?

[size=x-small]<outoftopic>PS. IMO, component should mean something, such as "Notifications", that could be called and used in core and modules. But mambo seems re-define it.</outoftopic>[/size]

2. Which one provides faster running system in coding and database optimization viewpoints?

mCity

I'm not a php programmer, so my opinion in this area may mean little, but as a person who can't help but look under the hood of anything I use, I can tell you this...

IMHO, XOOPS code is cleaner, better documented, and faster. There have been very few times where I couldn't figure out what I needed to hack to get the desired effect, just by studying XOOPS code. Unless things have changed in the last couple months, it was not so with Mambo. Also, there have been numerous speed comparisons done that featured XOOPS, Mambo and others. To the best of my recollection, only e107 can come close to XOOPS in speed.

Hope this helps.

JMorris
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

LazyBadger

Quote:

IMHO, XOOPS code is cleaner,
We all seen (can see) different opinion about code quality from Predator POV
Quote:

better documented,

Hmmm. it's joke?!
Quote:

and faster.

Delirium... Pure PHP (Mambo) works
- faster
- more efficient
than PHP+Smarty (XOOPS), but it's other side of terrible manageability of Mambo sites (except ordinary tasks, reacheable over admin-part)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

JMorris
  • 2005/8/3 23:55

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:
I'm not a php programmer, so my opinion in this area may mean little

It's my humble opinion as a person who is not a programmer. I found it easier to hack XOOPS code, find documentation for XOOPS code, and overall use XOOPS code. Every test I've ever seen, and every time I've used Mambo attests that XOOPS is faster. Page load time doesn't lie.

It's just my opinion, if you don't like it, ignore it.

mCity
  • 2005/8/4 16:28

• mCity

• Just popping in

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
I'm not a php programmer, so my opinion in this area may mean little, but as a person who can't help but look under the hood of anything I use, I can tell you this...

IMHO, XOOPS code is cleaner, better documented, and faster. There have been very few times where I couldn't figure out what I needed to hack to get the desired effect, just by studying XOOPS code. Unless things have changed in the last couple months, it was not so with Mambo. Also, there have been numerous speed comparisons done that featured XOOPS, Mambo and others. To the best of my recollection, only e107 can come close to XOOPS in speed.

Hope this helps.

JMorris

Thanks JMorris, its not easy to get opinions here. Only two after 24 hours. Devs are busy.

Well, LazyBadger, thanks also for your information. But wish you could make it with more respect.

veggieryan

Ugh,..
That point about the superior placement abilities for module output in the theme is now also making me jealous of mambo...
I think I am going to try and build a site in mambo and hack the gallery module to allow the uploading of other file types... That way people can save their ableton live 5 songs with self contained audio files into a folder... Then they can drag them onto the site and poof! A progress meter shows up.. resuming is supported and no problem.. their complete song file and audio clips are perfectly placed in a folder on the site... Downloadable as a zip or sit of course!

im also looking for a good opensource CRM/ERP to integrate into either XOOPS or mambo...

Am i dreaming?
ryan...

JMorris
  • 2005/8/5 2:32

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

veggieryan wrote:
Ugh,..
That point about the superior placement abilities for module output in the theme is now also making me jealous of mambo...
I think I am going to try and build a site in mambo and hack the gallery module to allow the uploading of other file types... That way people can save their ableton live 5 songs with self contained audio files into a folder... Then they can drag them onto the site and poof! A progress meter shows up.. resuming is supported and no problem.. their complete song file and audio clips are perfectly placed in a folder on the site... Downloadable as a zip or sit of course!

im also looking for a good opensource CRM/ERP to integrate into either XOOPS or mambo...

Am i dreaming?
ryan...

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by continually insinuating taht you are going to move to Mambo. If you think it's going to get the features you want integrated into XOOPS faster, it probably won't.

If Mambo suites your needs better, by all means, knock your socks off! Nobody at XOOPS is making profit from the membership, so nobody's feelings will be hurt.

However, I think you'll find that, if you stick around, you're going to be hard pressed to find a community like this one. In the last two years, I haven't found anything like the XOOPS community. It's a wonderful little world in itself.

As far as CRM/ERP goes. Unless you're one helluvah code hacker, I don't think you'll be able to integrate the solution I'm going to suggest, but it's the best damn open source CRM/ERP solution available (and it's php powered too!).... Sugar CRM

Best Regards,

JMorris

xianxoop
  • 2005/8/12 20:11

• xianxoop

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/9 0

good idea to have a development fund. If it start I will pledge the first $500 and another $500 every 4 months
I think xoop has commited user base with some free loaders
but that should not stop cration of development fund with some reporting accountability to doners group.

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits