Chappy
Smart Modules, at the moment, incompatible with 2.2
  • 2005/7/23 6:38

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I think people need to be aware that, per this article the Smart modules are not, at the moment, compatible with 2.2. Marcan has promised an update sometime after August 1. I can verify that SmartFAQ does NOT work with 2.2. This was pretty surprising to me. I posted this because I just don't want anyone to be taken by surprise, and angered, in the highly unlikely event that you do try these on a production site.( )
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

Peekay
Re: Smart Modules, at the moment, incompatible with 2.2
  • 2005/7/23 8:33

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I know I have requested it before but I really do wish the module downloads page displayed system requirements against each module.

It would save a lot of users wasting a lot of time - and would ensure new users have a positive experience of trying out Xoops.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

davidl2
  • 2005/7/23 8:47

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It is a rather good suggestions - at least perhaps "Tested with XOOPS core version xxxx" per module... but it would require a lot of work.

simeon
  • 2005/7/23 9:15

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/18

mith said there are just a minor changes to get these modules working with 2.2

Quote:
Results from my testings of XOOPS 2.2 CVS on PHP5:

SmartPartner - Works after a couple of PHP5 fixes
SmartFaq - Works after a couple of minor changes
SmartSection - Works after minor changes, equally XOOPS 2.2 and PHP5-related
SmartClient - Works after a couple of PHP5 fixes

Peekay
  • 2005/7/23 10:05

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Even if you added a field to the module details to include the XOOPS version it would help, e.g.

Version: 0.8
For Xoops: 2.2
Downloads 1888
File Size: 62.41 KB

If the 'For Xoops' field value was blank - you would know the module developer hasn't made a statement of compatibility - so it's up to you whether or not to try it.

When SmartSection and SmartFAQ (which are excellent modules IMHO) are updated later this year, the developer can update the details. In the meantime, EVERYONE who attempts to download these mods will know in advance that they don't work in 2.2, instead of having to find out the hard way.

I am of course making the assumption that module dev's can update their own module details.

Chappy
  • 2005/7/23 11:12

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

I agree that the Smart mods are among the very best. I just kind of assumed that they would have been going through some preliminary compatibility tests, as they are so, uhh, state of the XOOPS art. I have been playing with 2.2 on a sandbox site where it seems to work pretty nicely with only a rare hiccup. Thus the surprise when I saw this article over at SmartFactory. And, it just worried me that people might assume that it would play well on busy (production) sites.
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

m0nty
  • 2005/7/23 12:37

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
know I have requested it before but I really do wish the module downloads page displayed system requirements against each module.

It would save a lot of users wasting a lot of time - and would ensure new users have a positive experience of trying out Xoops

System Requirements:

Seperate each Requirement with |

its on the submit page, and also displays when u view the full details of the module.. obviously module developers aren't using/filling in that info.

Peekay
  • 2005/7/23 13:14

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Oh well. Thx for pointing that out m0nty. Perhaps it could be made a required field on the Xoops.org site?

I just think when 2.2 is the current stable version (quite soon it seems) a lot of folks will download incompatible modules and you're gonna get masses of 'it doesn't work' posts.

m0nty
  • 2005/7/23 16:20

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

required field is probably a good idea, and also maybe having it display in the summary aswell as the main article.

hmmm i think the devs are getting themselves prepared for the final release with riot gear, night sticks and body armour..

i can tell you X-IPB & X-phpbb will not work with 2.2 as of yet. so the updates for that may take a while longer than previously..

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits