Peekay
Modules that work in PHP5. Can they be identified more clearly?
  • 2005/3/30 23:24

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Recently, I've noticed that an increasing number of Xoopsters have been reporting in the forums when they have discovered third-party modules that don't yet support PHP5.

I was wondering whether it might be an idea to require developers to state the four key system requirements (Xoops version, globals, PHP, MySQL) for their modules before they are accepted?.

That way, we could read the labels first and only pick modules that were low in fat and high in fibre.

slowjoe
Re: Modules that work in PHP5. Can they be identified more clearly?
  • 2005/5/2 21:27

• slowjoe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/25

I am in STRONG aggreance with this suggestion. I am right now attempting to locate what modules are PHP5 compliant and am having a rough go of it.

jdseymour

Currently the only one I know marking there modules as PHP5 compliant is GIJOE at www.peak.ne.jp He has a small icon on the download page to signify it is PHP5 compliant.

brash
  • 2005/5/2 23:21

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

A tough call. It is definitely vital information, but there is no way of forcing a dev to comply. In fact it may even be possible for some devs who cut their teeth on PHP4 that only code in their spare time may not even know what to do with their module for PHP5 compatibilty. Ultimately I think this style of user requirement should be done by the QA team. Not to make the module PHP5 compliant, but just to test it to see if it is.

Peekay
  • 2005/5/3 16:33

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I agree that the QA team should really get involved with this, because ultimately, dissapointment with modules means dissapointment with Xoops.

However, I think QA should simply make the rules and the developers should follow - if they want their module accepted in the downloads section. Advising end users of system requirements is standard practice in virtually all software development, so it's not an unreasonable request to ask module writers to provide that small but vital bit of information.

Also, from the developer's viewpoint, it can be of little benefit to get 'bug' reports that are simply caused by people using the module with the 'wrong' version of Xoops, PHP or MySQL.

hervet
  • 2005/5/3 18:12

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello,

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
Currently the only one I know marking there modules as PHP5 compliant is GIJOE

Except if I do a mistake, it seems to me that some modules of the wf-section teams were declared Php5 compatibles.

Bye,
Hervé

dasdan
  • 2005/5/6 12:30

• dasdan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/22

I'm running on a php5 server, and the following modules seem to work fine. For some modules I had to make minor changes in the source, most of the problems I had with variables named $this, in php5 '$this' if the keyword to refer to the class self. So rename the $this, will solve some problem. I can't remember the modules I had to change,
but here is a list of the modules I'm running without problems.

- Polls v1
- Partners 1.1
- news 1.1
- Links 1.1
- FAQ 1.1
- WF Downloads 2.04
- protector
- Forum v2
- Webstats 2.1
- WIWI 0.8
- bakcup 2.16
- Xoopstats 0.45
- Blocks admin 0.26

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits