ivan8r
Banner changes on some pages for my customer...
  • 2005/7/12 17:43

• ivan8r

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/1

My customer who's site url is http://customfirearmfinishes.com noticed that when she clicks through the site that the banner graphic sometimes changes width. I have tested the site extensively, and I cannot reproduce the problem. She says it happens everytime she uses the site, and it has also happened to a friend of her's.

I've already asked her to clear her browser cache and restart her computer. This didn't help.

Could this be a browser-related issue? I'm running XP SP2, IE 6, and sometimes Firefox 1.0.4. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem even one time.

If any of you have time to check out the site, please let me know if you see this problem. If you do, could you send me a quick summary of your browser info and your OS? Also, if this is a known problem, any hints on a solution would be VERY appreciated since I don't know where to even start.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ivan Vasquez
http://www.akwebz.com

m0nty
Re: Banner changes on some pages for my customer...
  • 2005/7/12 17:54

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i don't see a banner on that site..

just an header logo.. but no banner.

ivan8r
  • 2005/7/12 18:36

• ivan8r

• Just popping in

Sorry... my terminology may be wrong. I am referring to the image at the top of the site that says Custom Firearm Finishes in red, white & blue with the hunter and caribou in the background. If it's called a header logo, then that's what I meant.
Ivan Vasquez

Shine
  • 2005/7/12 20:47

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

I think I know what she means.........
everytime you click on a link the website has to load. During this process you'll see a white space (backgroundcolor) on each site next of the logo. To be exact around the whole theme. It is the space wherein the shadow image has to load.
After this background image has been loaded the site looks ok.
Oeps forgot:
Windows 2000
IE 6.0

Grtz., Shine

ivan8r
  • 2005/7/12 22:04

• ivan8r

• Just popping in

Actually, she says the problem is apparent after the page is fully loaded. The header graphic is smaller than the rest of the body of the site.

A little history may help get to the bottom of the problem. This site was always fixed width since the beginning of the design process. At first, the width was 792 px, but my customer wanted it widened, so it's now 900 px. She says that on some pages her header graphic is back to the 792 width instead of 900, or at least that's how she's describing it. I have requested that she send me a screenshot, which I will be posting as soon as I get it.

As I said before, I have not seen this problem myself. It's very difficult to solve a problem you can't reproduce yourself, and that's why I'm hoping this problem will appear on somebody else's computer.

Does anybody have a browser previous to IE 6 that could take a look?

I'm going to look for a browser emulator site to test some more.
Ivan Vasquez

charpres
  • 2005/7/12 22:12

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

Personally, I've never been a fan of fixed-width themes. The first thing I do when trying out a new theme is change the basic widths from fixed pixel widths to dynamic percentage widths.

One reason is you seem to avoid some of these browser specific problems. I also think it looks better and it make much more sense for a site to fit not only a particular browser, but the user's monitor, text size settings, and desktop settings. Why force a nice-looking site to the lowest denominator when you can have it fit everyone's monitor?

ivan8r
  • 2005/7/12 22:36

• ivan8r

• Just popping in

I agree with you on that, but when your header is a graphic, dynamic width would stretch/compress the graphic which could look funky. Dynamic does make things easier normally, but it doesn't work in my case.
Ivan Vasquez

m0nty
  • 2005/7/12 23:04

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

personally i'm the opposite.. i think fixed width themes are far better than dynamic, and often look far better than dynamic..

like said if your header is an image, then dynamic is useless because the image stretches. and u have to fill in the gaps with tile images or background colours..

to me fixed width looks more professional and is a lot easier to design for in my opinion.

but back to the problem at hand.. the only thing i can think of is cache.

check on the server and remove the old 720px image if it's still there..

then clear templates_c & cache folders

then ask her to delete her temporary internet files and browser cache from her computer.. that's the only thing i can think of.

sorry i can't check with a pre IE6 browser but i haven't been able to replicate the problem either..

and i've checked with IE6, firefox, mozilla and opera.

also maybe this might help i dunno..

in control panel / internet options >

click general tab and where it says temporary internet files, click settings and then tick the box that says automatically check for new versions of stored pages.

ivan8r
  • 2005/7/15 18:01

• ivan8r

• Just popping in

I just received a screenshot from my customer. I guess the problem isn't that the header image shrinks... the width of the whole site goes down to 792 and the header image disappears altogether. A dark blue color appears where the header image is supposed to be.

Here's the screenshot showing the problem.

Resized Image

Here's what the site looks like on my computer.

Resized Image

Could this be a problem with my stylesheet? But if so, why only on certain computers? I'm very confused and I don't know where to look to fix this problem.

I found out that she is not using an old browser either. She's got IE 6 running on XP SP2, same as me.
Ivan Vasquez

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits