Jharis
Did I paint myself into a corner?
  • 2005/6/23 1:18

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Guys,

I'm playing around with the latest version and diggin it until I got the white screen of death!

Here's what I was doing.

The site was turned off. Under prefs I had the update templates on so I checked to turn off template update. At that point I turned the option on to ban IPS and I exited the screen.

Once out of the admin area I now get a white screen with no information. I hit the browser back button thinking... just maybe! I am able to hit the login screen but no dice! I still get a white screen.

Is there a way to get back into my site, or should I stack the dynamit around the edges of my computer?

BTW,
I really like the latest version. Good Job!

don (el paso)

Jharis
Re: Did I paint myself into a corner?
  • 2005/6/23 4:03

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

I am probably off on a goose chase here, but while at church I was thinking about fixing my site, had a thougth to look at the mainfile.php and see if I could turn off the bane IP option. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

don (el paso)

Jharis
  • 2005/6/23 4:23

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

Alright that wasn't it. Would anybody care to point me in the right direction?

I enabled ban IP under preferences and now I only get a white screen. I can still hit the site is closed page and log in, but can't get by a white screen.

I get a white screen going to my site: www.geeklocker.com
Can't turn on debug. Couldn't see if I did!
Is there a file I can edit to turn off IP ban?

Suggestions?

don (el paso)

Will_H
  • 2005/6/23 5:01

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Well this is just a shot, but after you login, and it takes you to the redirect(banned) screen... you could try backing up the url and accessing your admin area.

example (after logging in)

www.geeklocker.com/admin.php

once you login it should keep your seesion alive until you close the page, and while at any page on my own site i can access the admin area this way, but if you did ban yourself (oops!) chances are you may need a dump. Good Luck!

Will_H
  • 2005/6/23 5:15

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Also if this doesn't work for you. This is one of the many issues described in detail in the FAQ this particualar topic is located here.
https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=80

Jharis
  • 2005/6/23 5:15

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

I tried the login/ backup again just to be sure. It didn't work. Still not really sure what the real problem is, but I am gathering stuff for one more rebuild. I'll give it one more college try with the nightly build. I sure do like what I am seeing with the new XOOPS though.

Thanks for helping.

don (el paso)

Will_H
  • 2005/6/23 7:55

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

No problem, wish it had worked... Good Luck

bluenova

You can turn on debug, by going into your database, open the config table and find Debug_mode and change to 1, this will then tell you whats causing the 'White screen of Death'

Jharis
  • 2005/6/25 1:39

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

Ok, I reloaded the site and got things working. Yeah I know its the hammer approach, but it worked. After reloading the site I still wanted more frustration so I went to prefs and changed the site name, slogan, gzip compression. Blewly! White screen of death!

So turning on IP banning wasn't the problem. I dont remember tweaking anything else before the white death snuck up on me, but I could have since it was about 3am. I am sure my problem is was a result of those three changes.

You know the white screen of death is like those monster movies. No matter how fast or far you run the monster still gets you!

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

jdseymour

I know that during the beta there was a problem with gzip, which only works on the admin side anyway and is not needed.

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits