Re: XOOPS is forked (OT)
  • 2005/6/1 13:30

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
Quote:
Since everyone else is forking off then I guess I have to show the one I've been working on for quite some time

It was bound to happen sooner or later

Easiest, and probably the worst, joke I've ever posted.

Hehe.

JimLunsford

I've been using XOOPS for about six moths or so and I love it. All of this talk about forks and stuff really makes me wish I never got into Xoops. I don't want to have to install three different versions to find out which is best. I don't want to have to make that choice to use one over the other. What would I be miising with one over the other?

It makes no since to me why everyone doesn't work together on one to make it better. The things I have read say that communication is the biggest problem. FIX IT! Unicode or whatever.... FIX IT! Security issues and patches not applied.... FIX IT! The other thing that I have noticed is the XOOPS community crying out saying they want the same as I do and no one seems to listen. FIX IT!

I'm off to opensourcecms.com......

ladon
  • 2005/6/1 14:47

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Pretty easy reply don't you think? Don't mean to flame you or anything, but just saying FIX IT shows your complete lack of understanding concerning open source as a whole and XOOPS as a part of it. Even without understanding those things you must at least understand that if it were that simple, it would have al been solved/changed bij now.

Concerning your problems with the forks, it happens, it's unfortunate, but it happens. Bear in mind that most OS CMS' are actually forks. Where do you think XOOPS came from? It sure didn't appear out of nowhere!

When using the argument that when there are 3 Xoops-forks you'll have to check them al out is just ridiculous. That would mean you'd actually have to check OUT every CMS available, because you might just miss something....

davidl2
Re: XOOPS is forked
  • 2005/6/1 15:23

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

communication - being fixed

security - being fixed

MadFish
  • 2005/6/1 15:29

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
What would I be miising with one over the other?

I really don't know, but there is a lot more to forking a community project like XOOPS than changing the code. The forks need to recruit their own user base, developers and establish their own communities etc etc. Not everyone will leap onto a new fork overnight, it may or may not be successful and it might take quite a long time to get it moving.

The strength of the original (ie. this) XOOPS development path is that it already has a large user base and community. It is well supported, and if you have a problem its pretty easy to get some free advice on how to fix it. That's all available right now. Maybe the forks will offer some technical advantage that you will find useful, but you might also want to consider whether the support of a large community is important to you or not, and whether you are willing to take a gamble with something new, or at least heading in a different direction.

Anyway, it looks like some outstanding issues may have started getting fixed in this thread, so here's hoping...

JimLunsford

Quote:

ladon wrote:
Pretty easy reply don't you think? Don't mean to flame you or anything, but just saying FIX IT shows your complete lack of understanding concerning open source as a whole and XOOPS as a part of it. Even without understanding those things you must at least understand that if it were that simple, it would have al been solved/changed bij now.

As geeks, nerd, coders, or whatever we have a way of over complicating things sometimes. The issues I stated are easy to fix if everyone WORKS TOGETHER.

As for my "complete lack of understanding concerning open source as a whole and XOOPS as a part of it" I'm not real sure why you felt the need to question my understanding of these things but you don't know how wrong you are and I'm going to leave it at that.

Dave_L
  • 2005/6/1 17:18

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
The issues I stated are easy to fix if everyone WORKS TOGETHER.

But that's not easy.

That's the fundamental cause of the "forking".

ladon
  • 2005/6/1 17:21

• ladon

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/31

Over complicating things, yes, guess that's just human nature. My comment on your understanding might have been a little harsh and even wrong, but there was just quite some irritation I had to get out. You're not the only one who's stated that everything is easily fixable and telling Xoopsers to 'just do it better....'

I'll just leave it at that

m0nty
  • 2005/6/1 17:26

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i'm not gonna comment on the rest, but a fork would mean a different cms completely going in different directions.. XOOPS will keep it's current direction.. so y are you worried??

if a fork happens, so be it, you then have another cms system to try out.. but that doesn't mean XOOPS will stop..

if you read the rest of the recent threads regarding XOOPS issues and problems, gripes etc.. you will know that things are being done.. how many times does that have to be repeated?

as for

Quote:

The issues I stated are easy to fix if everyone WORKS TOGETHER.

are they easy to fix? y not offer your expertise if you think it's easy.. how can a security issue be easy to fix if it's not known in the 1st place.. you say there are security issues? are there?

there probably is yes.. maybe.. but DO you know what security issues there are? i seriously doubt that, if you do, y not *work* with the devs to solve them? you said it's easy..

people keep mentioning security and patches etc and y they aren't patched.. but what security issues do you want patched? if you are referring to all the hype regarding the argument between skalpa, mith and Onokazu then i'd read up some more.. if you think that issue was disregarded, then think again.. what was the outcome of the argument? the argument continues, but the token system *was* implemented in XOOPS 2.0.10 so to say things don't get patched is completely wrong..

Furious
  • 2005/6/1 17:51

• Furious

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/17

A group is its own worst enemy.

This seems strangely appropriate right now.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits