jpco_122122
XOOPS is free why MYXOOPS isn't free?

I kept wondering why www.myxoops.com MYXOOPS are offering charges to their themes, modules, Flash and other stuffs. This shouldn't be right because it all came from one open source the XOOPS aside from that the price are too high why they can't offer this for free just for a trial version. I can do the same thing build a Flash and Dynamic Website, I will be soon opening that site but this time it is for free to all XOOPERS.

pod
Re: XOOPS is free why MYXOOPS isn't free?
  • 2005/6/1 2:26

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Quote:
I kept wondering why www.myxoops.com MYXOOPS are offering charges to their themes, modules, Flash and other stuffs. This shouldn't be right because it all came from one open source the XOOPS aside from that the price are too high why they can't offer this for free just for a trial version.

Please see the MyXoops Club FAQ for answers to most of these questions.

Quote:
I can do the same thing build a Flash and Dynamic Website, I will be soon opening that site but this time it is for free to all XOOPERS.

I can't wait to see it.

smdcom
Re: XOOPS is free why MYXOOPS isnt free?

Quote:
How much does it cost to join MyXoops Club?
Just $50.00 bi-annually gives you premium access to all of our dynamic, flash-integrated XOOPS themes. That's less than $10 a month! Cancel anytime, no strings attached.

Quote:
I can do the same thing build a Flash and Dynamic Website, I will be soon opening that site but this time it is for free to all XOOPERS.

Me also can't wait to see it! Keep up the good work...

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 4:34

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

The fact is you are not paying for the product, but for the support, which under GPL is acceptable and quite right.

limecity
  • 2005/6/1 6:34

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

This is because its their work and they decided that you need to pay for the products.

Some people wants to contribute their work for free. Some just ask for some credit. And it so happen that they wants to sell the products (themes, modules, flash) with a price.

Quote:

Also, I will be waiting and seriously looking forward to it. I am going to write it down on my reminder note.

LazyBadger

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
The fact is you are not paying for the product, but for the support, which under GPL is acceptable and quite right.

Theme can be licenced under any licence, and in case of theme work is payed, not only services

blueangel
  • 2005/6/1 7:17

• blueangel

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/2/20

Quote:
Theme can be licenced under any licence, and in case of theme work is payed, not only services

I have a question. Due to the fact that the XOOPS themes need the XOOPS core (and code) to work properly shouldn't those themes be released/sold with GPL license ?

Mithrandir

I would say so. I see no real change from templates in a module to a theme. Both are coded and use GPL code in order to work.

Herko
  • 2005/6/1 7:48

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Images are copyrighted tho, and do not fall under the GPL.

Herko

Catzwolf
  • 2005/6/1 9:29

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I would have to agree with Mith on this, themes do use XOOPS to work correctly and DO fall under the same category and I think those who design themes who believe that they are not are just trying to kid themselves here.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits