Jharis
What is the best practice for building a software repository?
  • 2005/5/16 4:36

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Guys,

What is the best practice for building a software repository? Not a mirroring... just a place to hold opensource/ freeware for those in my company (30,000+ users worldwide). I would like all software to be in a repository rather than using links. Is that a good or bad idea? How best do I keep notified of updates for software in my repository? Let me know what you think is the best way to build and manage a repository.

The mydownloads module doesn't have uploading capability or doesn't explicitly say to put the software into the uploads folder. Should I use the default uploads folder for this? I have several people inside the company willing to help review and fill the repository. What module is best for this? Also what is the best zip format to use across any platform?

Bandwidth and space might not be a problem for me, but am still working on my company to foot the bill for this. Just in case the company I work for wont handle cost what should I do to keep my cost down?

thanks guys

don (el paso)

kgmetcalfe
Re: What is the best practice for building a software repository?
  • 2005/5/16 6:51

• kgmetcalfe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

keep in mind - how many files do you wish to have

( mega or giga )

the more you have the more bandwidth you will need

- and depending on providers - this will either be a small cost or it could spiral out of control real quick...

read the t.o.s VERY carefully - you may need a lawyer to decipher some of the items ( not kidding!).

to keep costs down... keep files to a minimum...

unless you have bottomless pockets ( rich ) then go for the most you can get...

this is my opinion - others may differ...

Jharis
  • 2005/5/16 7:42

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

Hi kgmetcalfe,

I'm not rich and hope the company I work for will move the site to one of their servers. That would be ideal unless they ask that it be an intrasite only. This project needs to support fellow workers when at home too.

Starting out I can't image storing more than 30 or so files. I am just trying to find open source or truely free versions of commercial software that I and my fellow engineers can use in a broadcasting environment.

Right now my provider is startlogic. They provide 2gigs of space and 60gigs transfer monthly for $7.50 a month. Since I don't really know what I am getting myself into I have no way of knowning if what they offer is good enough.

Hey, what zip protocal do you recommend? Also does XOOPS have a download module that automatically unzips when the download is finished?

don (el paso)

kgmetcalfe
  • 2005/5/16 8:11

• kgmetcalfe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

30 or so files is not that much - now the question is - are these files in different stages of transition - ie: being worked on by various individuals? and would this be on a daily basis? if so your bandwidth may be sufficient... but then again it goes back to the file sizes... so you have down and up loading... actually setting up something is fairly easy - its just the monitoring that can be a pain ( your monthly bandwidth - unless your provider is good and doent charge an arm and a leg for extra bw during the end of the month... something to look at and investigate.

xoops will fit your needs quite well.

modules:

Downloads

Version

Description
Creates a downloads section where users can download/submit/rate various files.

Credits
Modified by wanderer<br />(http://www.mpn-tw.com/ ) <br /> The XOOPS Project

License
GPL see LICENSE

=======================================================
to see the setup i am speaking about - have a look here -

http://wztoys.org/xoops/modules/news/

we have had great success with the way this has setup... as for zip - get winrar or winzip - or 7zip (opensource on the 7zip)- is actually quite good...seems to have better compression than any of the others. and again that is my opinion.

Jharis
  • 2005/5/17 0:33

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

When I mentioned fellow workers I meant upwards of 30,000+! Not all will use the repository. Some can barely turn on a computer, others already have their favorite hangouts for such, and others just won't want to use opensource freeware.

I figure several hundred users will sign up this year. As for the software I am only going to store opensource freeware counterparts to paid commercial software. The charm will be that a group of us are going to make the recogmendations of what opensource is a good replacement for software X! Sounds like a good idea to me, but lets see.

I don't believe downloads version 1.1 allows for uploads? I won't be the only uploading to the site. There will be a few other individuals that will occasionally help. I will pour other your site tonight after the gym. Thanks Inex for your thoughts and help. Any comments and opinions as always are welcome.

don (el paso)

pod
  • 2005/5/17 0:39

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

There is a hack here that will allow file uploads with mydownloads.

Jharis
  • 2005/5/17 3:11

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

Thank You. I give it a test drive in a few moments. Just have to finish a little work for somebody else first.

don (el paso)

bluenova

That hack doesn't work well at all. Still needs work. Best downloads module that allows uploads is wf-downloads from www.wf-projects.com

Jharis
  • 2005/5/17 17:13

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

Thanks Blue Nova,

I will test wf-downloads.

don (el paso)

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits